Landmark Calshot Spit lightship moved from Southampton's Ocean Village to Trafalgar Dock

Daily Echo: Calshot lightship on the move Calshot lightship on the move

THE 140-tonne lightship that has been a centrepiece of Southampton’s Ocean Village for the past 21 years was lifted out of the ground today ready to be taken to its new home.

The Calshot Spit lightship has been loaded onto a 120-wheel trailer this morning to be transported to the historic Trafalgar Dry Dock.

The 95-year-old ship is set to be the gateway attraction at a new heritage site called Aeronautica, which will document the city's aviation and maritime history.

Two 500-tonne cranes were used to lift the ship in a delicate and time-consuming operation.

Aeronautica project officer Squadron Leader Alan Jones said: “I think God must have been on our side today when you look at the weather. Wind would have been a big problem. If it had been windy the cranes wouldn’t have been able to operate. I’ll be very relieved when the moving is over.”

When it is installed at its new home, the Calshot Spit lightship will be restored with the aim of opening it up to the public.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:41pm Wed 3 Nov 10

RadicalEmu says...

Wouldn't it be more accessible where it was?
Wouldn't it be more accessible where it was? RadicalEmu

2:02pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Linesman says...

That must have cost a few bob to make that move.

Who picked up the tab?
That must have cost a few bob to make that move. Who picked up the tab? Linesman

2:32pm Wed 3 Nov 10

X Old Bill says...

Linesman wrote:
That must have cost a few bob to make that move.

Who picked up the tab?
Barratt Homes - The people who own it.
.
The most obvious comment to make on this item is: It says that it is a light ship, but it's really quite heavy.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: That must have cost a few bob to make that move. Who picked up the tab?[/p][/quote]Barratt Homes - The people who own it. . The most obvious comment to make on this item is: It says that it is a light ship, but it's really quite heavy. X Old Bill

3:10pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Linesman says...

Any advances on Barratt Homes and the City Council?
Surely English Heritage should be in with a shout.
Any advances on Barratt Homes and the City Council? Surely English Heritage should be in with a shout. Linesman

3:34pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Stillness says...

Linesman wrote:
Any advances on Barratt Homes and the City Council?
Surely English Heritage should be in with a shout.
John Denam said he would pay for it. But thats NOT a fact lol.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Any advances on Barratt Homes and the City Council? Surely English Heritage should be in with a shout.[/p][/quote]John Denam said he would pay for it. But thats NOT a fact lol. Stillness

4:15pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Linesman says...

Stillness wrote:
Linesman wrote: Any advances on Barratt Homes and the City Council? Surely English Heritage should be in with a shout.
John Denam said he would pay for it. But thats NOT a fact lol.
Stillness or sillyness?
[quote][p][bold]Stillness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Any advances on Barratt Homes and the City Council? Surely English Heritage should be in with a shout.[/p][/quote]John Denam said he would pay for it. But thats NOT a fact lol.[/p][/quote]Stillness or sillyness? Linesman

5:34pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Stillness says...

Linesman wrote:
Stillness wrote:
Linesman wrote: Any advances on Barratt Homes and the City Council? Surely English Heritage should be in with a shout.
John Denam said he would pay for it. But thats NOT a fact lol.
Stillness or sillyness?
Your choice. I really don't mind.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stillness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Any advances on Barratt Homes and the City Council? Surely English Heritage should be in with a shout.[/p][/quote]John Denam said he would pay for it. But thats NOT a fact lol.[/p][/quote]Stillness or sillyness?[/p][/quote]Your choice. I really don't mind. Stillness

6:05pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Hantslad says...

A sad day for Ocean Village............
A sad day for Ocean Village............ Hantslad

7:41pm Wed 3 Nov 10

garlic says...

where is Trafalgar dry dock?
where is Trafalgar dry dock? garlic

8:29pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Stillness says...

garlic wrote:
where is Trafalgar dry dock?
Central London? Off the south coast of Spain?
[quote][p][bold]garlic[/bold] wrote: where is Trafalgar dry dock?[/p][/quote]Central London? Off the south coast of Spain? Stillness

8:42pm Wed 3 Nov 10

X Old Bill says...

garlic wrote:
where is Trafalgar dry dock?
What is left of it is just to the West of the Ocean Dock. (The Ocean Dock is where the Ocean Terminal used to be). It was originally much bigger but it was apparently more use for parking cars than ships so they filled it in.
[quote][p][bold]garlic[/bold] wrote: where is Trafalgar dry dock?[/p][/quote]What is left of it is just to the West of the Ocean Dock. (The Ocean Dock is where the Ocean Terminal used to be). It was originally much bigger but it was apparently more use for parking cars than ships so they filled it in. X Old Bill

10:07pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Brite Spark says...

It may be my imagination but I'm sure that I went sailing once with my old man, when I was about 10, and saw this lightship off shore but I can't remember where.
It may be my imagination but I'm sure that I went sailing once with my old man, when I was about 10, and saw this lightship off shore but I can't remember where. Brite Spark

10:20pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Stillness says...

Possibly just off Calshot Spit?
Possibly just off Calshot Spit? Stillness

10:42pm Wed 3 Nov 10

southy says...

Brite Spark wrote:
It may be my imagination but I'm sure that I went sailing once with my old man, when I was about 10, and saw this lightship off shore but I can't remember where.
calshot tower looking towards gaurnard bay about 800 yards of shore.
i can still remember seeing the changing of the crew, when returning back after 7mths deep sea.
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: It may be my imagination but I'm sure that I went sailing once with my old man, when I was about 10, and saw this lightship off shore but I can't remember where.[/p][/quote]calshot tower looking towards gaurnard bay about 800 yards of shore. i can still remember seeing the changing of the crew, when returning back after 7mths deep sea. southy

11:00pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Linesman says...

I think you are confused with the Needles Lighthouse.

From Calshot Castle, Calshot Spit was in the direction of Portsmouth, in the entrance to Southampton Water.
I think you are confused with the Needles Lighthouse. From Calshot Castle, Calshot Spit was in the direction of Portsmouth, in the entrance to Southampton Water. Linesman

11:07pm Wed 3 Nov 10

veracity says...

southy is permanently confused

he reckons Scc is paying for the move when it is the Ocean Village development company.

He just makes it up as he goes along!!!

Littel known fact... the Uncle Albert charachter in Fools and Horses was based on Southy
southy is permanently confused he reckons Scc is paying for the move when it is the Ocean Village development company. He just makes it up as he goes along!!! Littel known fact... the Uncle Albert charachter in Fools and Horses was based on Southy veracity

11:50pm Wed 3 Nov 10

Stillness says...

veracity wrote:
southy is permanently confused

he reckons Scc is paying for the move when it is the Ocean Village development company.

He just makes it up as he goes along!!!

Littel known fact... the Uncle Albert charachter in Fools and Horses was based on Southy
But from southy's last posting we can see why. He says he was "deep sea for seven months". I guess he came up too fast and developed a huge gas bubble in his system which took the place of his brain. Only jesting southy, I think.
[quote][p][bold]veracity[/bold] wrote: southy is permanently confused he reckons Scc is paying for the move when it is the Ocean Village development company. He just makes it up as he goes along!!! Littel known fact... the Uncle Albert charachter in Fools and Horses was based on Southy[/p][/quote]But from southy's last posting we can see why. He says he was "deep sea for seven months". I guess he came up too fast and developed a huge gas bubble in his system which took the place of his brain. Only jesting southy, I think. Stillness

12:05am Thu 4 Nov 10

southy says...

Linesman wrote:
I think you are confused with the Needles Lighthouse.

From Calshot Castle, Calshot Spit was in the direction of Portsmouth, in the entrance to Southampton Water.
hang on i get my admiralty chart out.
from calshot castle at an angle of 140% from true north (its a lot more than i said ) its close to 1800 metres from the castle and not looking towards gaunard bay but looking towards ryde iow. is where the calshot lightship was moored.
by the way you two calshot spit most of it is submerge below the low water line and is a hook shape. if you go there at a 6 o'clock low water tide (spring tide) am or pm you should be able to see a shingle bank uncovered heading towards the iow that is the inshore part of calshot spit. and that is only a very small part of it.
and veracity OVD applied for a grant and got it from SCC to help with the cost. how much do you think it cost to hire just one of those 500 tonne cranes for the day, and the hire of of that specialise trailer for the day, let alone every thing else that had to be used and man power that had to be there. and the travelling cost of all that gear to be there. it don,t come cheap.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: I think you are confused with the Needles Lighthouse. From Calshot Castle, Calshot Spit was in the direction of Portsmouth, in the entrance to Southampton Water.[/p][/quote]hang on i get my admiralty chart out. from calshot castle at an angle of 140% from true north (its a lot more than i said ) its close to 1800 metres from the castle and not looking towards gaunard bay but looking towards ryde iow. is where the calshot lightship was moored. by the way you two calshot spit most of it is submerge below the low water line and is a hook shape. if you go there at a 6 o'clock low water tide (spring tide) am or pm you should be able to see a shingle bank uncovered heading towards the iow that is the inshore part of calshot spit. and that is only a very small part of it. and veracity OVD applied for a grant and got it from SCC to help with the cost. how much do you think it cost to hire just one of those 500 tonne cranes for the day, and the hire of of that specialise trailer for the day, let alone every thing else that had to be used and man power that had to be there. and the travelling cost of all that gear to be there. it don,t come cheap. southy

7:47am Thu 4 Nov 10

veracity says...

I have dealt with leicester heavy haulage and you are right, 'it don,t come cheap'
However SCC aren't paying as you incorrectly stated above!!!
I have dealt with leicester heavy haulage and you are right, 'it don,t come cheap' However SCC aren't paying as you incorrectly stated above!!! veracity

10:07am Thu 4 Nov 10

southy says...

veracity wrote:
I have dealt with leicester heavy haulage and you are right, 'it don,t come cheap'
However SCC aren't paying as you incorrectly stated above!!!
i deal with this stuff a lot. well use to not so much now days where i am semi retired.
they are not paying all of it, they are paying some of it.
[quote][p][bold]veracity[/bold] wrote: I have dealt with leicester heavy haulage and you are right, 'it don,t come cheap' However SCC aren't paying as you incorrectly stated above!!![/p][/quote]i deal with this stuff a lot. well use to not so much now days where i am semi retired. they are not paying all of it, they are paying some of it. southy

6:01pm Thu 4 Nov 10

veracity says...

suggest you contact the Echo and Barratt Homes

Spoke to one of the Barratt people on site and they confirmed all to their cost and told me how much it was. Not cheap.
As the Echo confirmed Barratt are paying for it all.
Nothin, nil,nada from the council.
why do you continue to make things up
suggest you contact the Echo and Barratt Homes Spoke to one of the Barratt people on site and they confirmed all to their cost and told me how much it was. Not cheap. As the Echo confirmed Barratt are paying for it all. Nothin, nil,nada from the council. why do you continue to make things up veracity

11:15pm Thu 4 Nov 10

southy says...

veracity wrote:
suggest you contact the Echo and Barratt Homes

Spoke to one of the Barratt people on site and they confirmed all to their cost and told me how much it was. Not cheap.
As the Echo confirmed Barratt are paying for it all.
Nothin, nil,nada from the council.
why do you continue to make things up
barratt are paying 3/4 of it, part of that 3/4 came from SCC in a grant that they applied for awhile ago. that grant would of gone to barratt bank account awhile back, and then barratt would of paid for the contractors, making it look like they paid for it all.
and that,s how it works, barratts would not off paid for all of that all by them self,s, there is no return for them in doing so. try attending some council meeting you might learn a thing or two.
[quote][p][bold]veracity[/bold] wrote: suggest you contact the Echo and Barratt Homes Spoke to one of the Barratt people on site and they confirmed all to their cost and told me how much it was. Not cheap. As the Echo confirmed Barratt are paying for it all. Nothin, nil,nada from the council. why do you continue to make things up[/p][/quote]barratt are paying 3/4 of it, part of that 3/4 came from SCC in a grant that they applied for awhile ago. that grant would of gone to barratt bank account awhile back, and then barratt would of paid for the contractors, making it look like they paid for it all. and that,s how it works, barratts would not off paid for all of that all by them self,s, there is no return for them in doing so. try attending some council meeting you might learn a thing or two. southy

9:29am Fri 5 Nov 10

veracity says...

Absolute tosh

First of al,l you say SCC are paying it all then only 25%

I expect next post you will make something different up

i asked my local councillor last night. they confirmed taht, as often is the case, you talk nonsense
Absolute tosh First of al,l you say SCC are paying it all then only 25% I expect next post you will make something different up i asked my local councillor last night. they confirmed taht, as often is the case, you talk nonsense veracity

10:45am Fri 5 Nov 10

southy says...

veracity wrote:
Absolute tosh

First of al,l you say SCC are paying it all then only 25%

I expect next post you will make something different up

i asked my local councillor last night. they confirmed taht, as often is the case, you talk nonsense
i have never said that SCC paid for it all, so you can stop right there and stop twisting it about. i said a grant was applied for and they got it. which is true.
if this grant was not given then that lightship would be still there, barrett would not of paid the full whack out, because there is no returns back on it for them, they stand to gain nothing out of it.
[quote][p][bold]veracity[/bold] wrote: Absolute tosh First of al,l you say SCC are paying it all then only 25% I expect next post you will make something different up i asked my local councillor last night. they confirmed taht, as often is the case, you talk nonsense[/p][/quote]i have never said that SCC paid for it all, so you can stop right there and stop twisting it about. i said a grant was applied for and they got it. which is true. if this grant was not given then that lightship would be still there, barrett would not of paid the full whack out, because there is no returns back on it for them, they stand to gain nothing out of it. southy

11:04am Fri 5 Nov 10

X Old Bill says...

southy wrote:
Linesman wrote:
That must have cost a few bob to make that move.

Who picked up the tab?
the city has pick up the tab and we will pay for it out of council tax.
Your words Southy - Now you cannot even agree with yourself.
[quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: That must have cost a few bob to make that move. Who picked up the tab?[/p][/quote]the city has pick up the tab and we will pay for it out of council tax.[/p][/quote]Your words Southy - Now you cannot even agree with yourself. X Old Bill

12:29pm Fri 5 Nov 10

veracity says...

X Old Bill wrote:
southy wrote:
Linesman wrote:
That must have cost a few bob to make that move.

Who picked up the tab?
the city has pick up the tab and we will pay for it out of council tax.
Your words Southy - Now you cannot even agree with yourself.
Ha Ha Game, Set & Match Southy.
Quite specific what you originally said.
Money to come out of council Tax
WRONG!!!
No wonder you never got above cabin Boy in all ypour years trawling the 7 Seas!!
[quote][p][bold]X Old Bill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: That must have cost a few bob to make that move. Who picked up the tab?[/p][/quote]the city has pick up the tab and we will pay for it out of council tax.[/p][/quote]Your words Southy - Now you cannot even agree with yourself.[/p][/quote]Ha Ha Game, Set & Match Southy. Quite specific what you originally said. Money to come out of council Tax WRONG!!! No wonder you never got above cabin Boy in all ypour years trawling the 7 Seas!! veracity

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree