When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Man sparks high-rise fire alert after falling asleep while cooking
A DRUNKEN Southampton man sparked a major fire operation after he fell asleep in his flat while cooking.
More than 25 firefighters from across Southampton were called to International Way, Weston , at 2.06am this morning after neighbours in the Rotterdam Towers smelt burning.
On arrival at the high-rise they discovered that a man in a fifth floor flat has dozed off while cooking, having been drinking during the night.
Luckily, he had woken up by the time the crews from Hightown, Redbridge , St Mary’s and Botley arrived and was able to stop the burning before a fire had the chance to start.
Firefighters are now urging residents not to cook while under the influence of alcohol.
Comments are closed on this article.