Boat show is riding the crest of a wave

Daily Echo: Boat show boss Murray Ellis Boat show boss Murray Ellis

THE boss of the PSP Southampton Boat Show has declared the event’s 44th edition a success as it enters its final day – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show.

Murray Ellis, managing director of show organisers National Boat Shows, said the ten-day marine showcase at Southampton ’s Mayflower Park had “delivered on all levels”.

As the Daily Echo went to press, visitor numbers were up three per cent on last year, with as many as 50,000 people expected to pass through the gates on the show’s final three days to take the total to around 120,000.

“The general feeling is that it’s been a cracking event, a cracking show,” Mr Ellis said.

“We’ve been blessed with the weather and the feedback we have had from visitors and exhibitors is that the show has delivered on all levels.

“We won’t know the final figures until after the show, but we will take a rise in numbers on last year as a good result.”

Launched in 1969, the show has grown into the biggest event of its kind in Europe, boasting more than 1,000 boats spread over a site the size of 25 football pitches.

More than 350 of the event’s boats are on show in the purpose-built marina, which features more than 2km of pontoons, helping it to be ranked in the top ten boat shows in the world.

Despite challenges presented by the current economic climate, organisers are confident the show is upholding its reputation as a world-class event.

Southampton Boat Show has been going 44 years and it continues to go from strength to strength,” Mr Ellis said.

“It’s one of the great success stories of consumer shows in this country.

“The PSP Southampton Boat Show is a world-renowned show, so the challenges are making sure we maintain the standards, deliver the right facilities for our exhibitors and ultimately delivering for our visitors.

“It’s challenging but there are 550 companies out there, 350 boats on the water, over 60 launches of boats and products, including 16 world launches.

“The indications are that we’re giving people the best opportunities to sell their products and the best opportunities for visitors to buy what they want to buy.”

Star turns from Formula 1 driver Jenson Button, pundit Eddie Jordan and medal-winning members of Great Britain sailing and rowing teams have helped shine the spotlight on the show – but Mr Ellis says the real star stories are those of the exhibitors.

“The real success story is the success of our exhibitors doing business here – that’s what it’s all about,” he said.

“The show is on a level where it’s promoting the British marine leisure industry on a global scale.”

One of Southampton’s flagship events, the boat show is worth an estimated £12m to the city in added revenue, as well as placing it firmly on the global map.

“I’m very proud of Southampton as a city,” Mr Ellis added.

“The boat show puts Southampton on the map and gives it global presence.

“The show is important for the region too. Whether it’s extra business for taxis, hotels, restaurants – it all generates income which is very welcome in this climate.”

 

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:21am Sun 23 Sep 12

bazzeroz says...

"Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........
"Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and........... bazzeroz
  • Score: 0

11:38am Sun 23 Sep 12

Higginz says...

It's brilliant! 'Crest of a wave'. I mean, if you think about it, it works metaphorically, doesn't it? But 'crest of a wave' is also a term used to describe the highest point of a wave, which is a nautical term. Boat show, nautical, wave, crest, success, journalism, awards, life, good.
It's brilliant! 'Crest of a wave'. I mean, if you think about it, it works metaphorically, doesn't it? But 'crest of a wave' is also a term used to describe the highest point of a wave, which is a nautical term. Boat show, nautical, wave, crest, success, journalism, awards, life, good. Higginz
  • Score: 0

11:39am Sun 23 Sep 12

chunky_lover says...

I never got the PSP, I had game gear and an Atari Lynx (II). Is the PSP really still going? I never see them for sale to be honest.
I never got the PSP, I had game gear and an Atari Lynx (II). Is the PSP really still going? I never see them for sale to be honest. chunky_lover
  • Score: 0

2:41pm Sun 23 Sep 12

andysaints007 says...

bazzeroz wrote:
"Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........
.. and your point is what ???
[quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: "Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........[/p][/quote].. and your point is what ??? andysaints007
  • Score: 0

2:44pm Sun 23 Sep 12

andysaints007 says...

bazzeroz wrote:
"Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........
Come to think of it you moaned about the last article on the Echo, and the one before that and the one before that and the one .....
Why do you put yourself through it? Surely it would be so much easier for you if you just didn't log on here because its so bad! Or are you really that much of a tw&t ?
[quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: "Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........[/p][/quote]Come to think of it you moaned about the last article on the Echo, and the one before that and the one before that and the one ..... Why do you put yourself through it? Surely it would be so much easier for you if you just didn't log on here because its so bad! Or are you really that much of a tw&t ? andysaints007
  • Score: 0

3:51pm Sun 23 Sep 12

Lord Ikea says...

I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat.

Near the front of the report it said

" – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show."

But later on he said

“We won’t know the final figures until after the show."

So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures.

I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.
I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat. Near the front of the report it said " – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show." But later on he said “We won’t know the final figures until after the show." So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures. I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths. Lord Ikea
  • Score: 0

6:19pm Sun 23 Sep 12

dolomiteman says...

Lord Ikea wrote:
I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat.

Near the front of the report it said

" – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show."

But later on he said

“We won’t know the final figures until after the show."

So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures.

I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.
Now read the agricle again, the visitor numbers are up as of the time of the report compared to the same time last year, that is to say at 10am on Saturday more people had visited than by 10am on the saturday last year.
I wish people would read the article before commenting.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Ikea[/bold] wrote: I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat. Near the front of the report it said " – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show." But later on he said “We won’t know the final figures until after the show." So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures. I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.[/p][/quote]Now read the agricle again, the visitor numbers are up as of the time of the report compared to the same time last year, that is to say at 10am on Saturday more people had visited than by 10am on the saturday last year. I wish people would read the article before commenting. dolomiteman
  • Score: 0

6:46pm Sun 23 Sep 12

bazzeroz says...

andysaints007 wrote:
bazzeroz wrote:
"Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........
Come to think of it you moaned about the last article on the Echo, and the one before that and the one before that and the one .....
Why do you put yourself through it? Surely it would be so much easier for you if you just didn't log on here because its so bad! Or are you really that much of a tw&t ?
I really am, like you 'that much of a tw&t', really.
[quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: "Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........[/p][/quote]Come to think of it you moaned about the last article on the Echo, and the one before that and the one before that and the one ..... Why do you put yourself through it? Surely it would be so much easier for you if you just didn't log on here because its so bad! Or are you really that much of a tw&t ?[/p][/quote]I really am, like you 'that much of a tw&t', really. bazzeroz
  • Score: 0

7:10pm Sun 23 Sep 12

Lord Ikea says...

dolomiteman wrote:
Lord Ikea wrote:
I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat.

Near the front of the report it said

" – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show."

But later on he said

“We won’t know the final figures until after the show."

So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures.

I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.
Now read the agricle again, the visitor numbers are up as of the time of the report compared to the same time last year, that is to say at 10am on Saturday more people had visited than by 10am on the saturday last year.
I wish people would read the article before commenting.
I did read it and it mentions nothing about figures taken at 10am compared to 10 am last year so therefore you are putting words into an article that are not there. The press is meant to report what has happened not what MIGHT happen.
[quote][p][bold]dolomiteman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lord Ikea[/bold] wrote: I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat. Near the front of the report it said " – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show." But later on he said “We won’t know the final figures until after the show." So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures. I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.[/p][/quote]Now read the agricle again, the visitor numbers are up as of the time of the report compared to the same time last year, that is to say at 10am on Saturday more people had visited than by 10am on the saturday last year. I wish people would read the article before commenting.[/p][/quote]I did read it and it mentions nothing about figures taken at 10am compared to 10 am last year so therefore you are putting words into an article that are not there. The press is meant to report what has happened not what MIGHT happen. Lord Ikea
  • Score: 0

8:02pm Sun 23 Sep 12

dolomiteman says...

Okay so maybe I imagined the date and time on the article but did I imagine this................


As the Daily Echo went to press, visitor numbers were up three per cent on last year'

Which is clearly in the article above?
Okay so maybe I imagined the date and time on the article but did I imagine this................ As the Daily Echo went to press, visitor numbers were up three per cent on last year' Which is clearly in the article above? dolomiteman
  • Score: 0

10:17pm Sun 23 Sep 12

andysaints007 says...

bazzeroz wrote:
andysaints007 wrote:
bazzeroz wrote:
"Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........
Come to think of it you moaned about the last article on the Echo, and the one before that and the one before that and the one .....
Why do you put yourself through it? Surely it would be so much easier for you if you just didn't log on here because its so bad! Or are you really that much of a tw&t ?
I really am, like you 'that much of a tw&t', really.
I guessed as much but I don't tend to whine and moan as much as you do saddo
[quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: "Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........[/p][/quote]Come to think of it you moaned about the last article on the Echo, and the one before that and the one before that and the one ..... Why do you put yourself through it? Surely it would be so much easier for you if you just didn't log on here because its so bad! Or are you really that much of a tw&t ?[/p][/quote]I really am, like you 'that much of a tw&t', really.[/p][/quote]I guessed as much but I don't tend to whine and moan as much as you do saddo andysaints007
  • Score: 0

12:46am Mon 24 Sep 12

kingnotail says...

Never before seen such a dire bunch of soulless, wealth-obsessed robots than the boatshow-types currently congregating around Oxford Street.
Never before seen such a dire bunch of soulless, wealth-obsessed robots than the boatshow-types currently congregating around Oxford Street. kingnotail
  • Score: 0

1:17am Mon 24 Sep 12

andysaints007 says...

Lord Ikea wrote:
I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat.

Near the front of the report it said

" – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show."

But later on he said

“We won’t know the final figures until after the show."

So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures.

I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.
'I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths' - maybe you should heed your own advice then !!
[quote][p][bold]Lord Ikea[/bold] wrote: I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat. Near the front of the report it said " – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show." But later on he said “We won’t know the final figures until after the show." So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures. I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.[/p][/quote]'I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths' - maybe you should heed your own advice then !! andysaints007
  • Score: 0

8:26am Mon 24 Sep 12

OSPREYSAINT says...

As a Senior Citizen in a SO Post Code area I get in for nothing, couldn't ask for my money back even if it was a bad show! It certainly is worth the opportunity to see how the other half live, I can only dream about the opulence on show but I don't begrudge them a single bit. If I got lucky I would join them. At a time when we are told that there is a big hole in the economy I find it hard to believe this when wandering around the show. Are we being conned by the Government with a load of doom and gloom which isn't really there? I hear Clegg on the News this morning proffering the same old garbage about the black hole left by the Labour Government and the Bankers, but I don't hear any positive policy to put it right apart from over taxing anyone earning £50,000 or above.
As a Senior Citizen in a SO Post Code area I get in for nothing, couldn't ask for my money back even if it was a bad show! It certainly is worth the opportunity to see how the other half live, I can only dream about the opulence on show but I don't begrudge them a single bit. If I got lucky I would join them. At a time when we are told that there is a big hole in the economy I find it hard to believe this when wandering around the show. Are we being conned by the Government with a load of doom and gloom which isn't really there? I hear Clegg on the News this morning proffering the same old garbage about the black hole left by the Labour Government and the Bankers, but I don't hear any positive policy to put it right apart from over taxing anyone earning £50,000 or above. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

8:28am Mon 24 Sep 12

OSPREYSAINT says...

kingnotail wrote:
Never before seen such a dire bunch of soulless, wealth-obsessed robots than the boatshow-types currently congregating around Oxford Street.
You need to get out more.
[quote][p][bold]kingnotail[/bold] wrote: Never before seen such a dire bunch of soulless, wealth-obsessed robots than the boatshow-types currently congregating around Oxford Street.[/p][/quote]You need to get out more. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

9:52am Mon 24 Sep 12

Georgem says...

andysaints007 wrote:
bazzeroz wrote:
"Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........
.. and your point is what ???
That the Echo are recycling hackneyed stock phrases, perhaps?
[quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: "Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........[/p][/quote].. and your point is what ???[/p][/quote]That the Echo are recycling hackneyed stock phrases, perhaps? Georgem
  • Score: 0

9:54am Mon 24 Sep 12

Georgem says...

Lord Ikea wrote:
I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat.

Near the front of the report it said

" – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show."

But later on he said

“We won’t know the final figures until after the show."

So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures.

I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.
Not at all. Using the latest in information-gatherin
g technology, to tell when one number has gotten bigger than another number, even though it hasn't stopped increasing in size yet. It's not like people who have already visited the boat show can now un-visit it.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Ikea[/bold] wrote: I personally think the Boat Show is a bit of a dinosaur. But whatever floats your boat. Near the front of the report it said " – and reported a rise in visitors compared to last year’s show." But later on he said “We won’t know the final figures until after the show." So he is making up the figures to get headlines in the press rather than waiting for the true figures. I wish people would wait for the facts before opening their mouths.[/p][/quote]Not at all. Using the latest in information-gatherin g technology, to tell when one number has gotten bigger than another number, even though it hasn't stopped increasing in size yet. It's not like people who have already visited the boat show can now un-visit it. Georgem
  • Score: 0

1:33pm Mon 24 Sep 12

bazzeroz says...

andysaints007 wrote:
bazzeroz wrote:
andysaints007 wrote:
bazzeroz wrote:
"Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........
Come to think of it you moaned about the last article on the Echo, and the one before that and the one before that and the one .....
Why do you put yourself through it? Surely it would be so much easier for you if you just didn't log on here because its so bad! Or are you really that much of a tw&t ?
I really am, like you 'that much of a tw&t', really.
I guessed as much but I don't tend to whine and moan as much as you do saddo
Check your birth certificate and your season ticket to see who you are! Tw&t
[quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]andysaints007[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazzeroz[/bold] wrote: "Crest of a wave" ha ha, I would never have thought of that one! I still think you used the same phrase last year and the one before and...........[/p][/quote]Come to think of it you moaned about the last article on the Echo, and the one before that and the one before that and the one ..... Why do you put yourself through it? Surely it would be so much easier for you if you just didn't log on here because its so bad! Or are you really that much of a tw&t ?[/p][/quote]I really am, like you 'that much of a tw&t', really.[/p][/quote]I guessed as much but I don't tend to whine and moan as much as you do saddo[/p][/quote]Check your birth certificate and your season ticket to see who you are! Tw&t bazzeroz
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree