Residents evacuated in chip shop fire in Chartwell Green

Residents evacuated in chip shop fire

Residents evacuated in chip shop fire

First published in News

DOZENS of residents had to be evacuated after a chip shop caught fire on a Southampton estate.

Twenty-five fire fighters were last night called out to tackle the blaze at the chippy in a parade of eight shops in Townhill Way.

Ten flats above the shops and an Indian restaurant were evacuated. The alarm was raised at 9.15pm.

Firefighters from Hightown, St Mary's and Redbridge stations went to the fire. The cause is under investigation.

 

Comments (42)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:57am Wed 17 Oct 12

boobooj says...

It was good nobody was hurt, but the real problem is how will the residents survive without without their daily dose greasy junk food?
It was good nobody was hurt, but the real problem is how will the residents survive without without their daily dose greasy junk food? boobooj
  • Score: 0

9:00am Wed 17 Oct 12

Vonnie says...

Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny. Vonnie
  • Score: 0

9:14am Wed 17 Oct 12

boobooj says...

Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
[quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D boobooj
  • Score: 0

9:18am Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
[quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic. MGRA
  • Score: 0

9:24am Wed 17 Oct 12

Might SS says...

It is Eastleigh not Southampton
It is Eastleigh not Southampton Might SS
  • Score: 0

9:40am Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

Might SS wrote:
It is Eastleigh not Southampton
no you are confused. The word "Southampton" is used to represent both " greater southampton " urban area and " the city of southampton ".

Townhill is neither in Eastleigh, nor Greater Eastleigh although parts are in Eastleigh administrative borough.

So it is perfectly correct to describe it as a "southampton estate".
[quote][p][bold]Might SS[/bold] wrote: It is Eastleigh not Southampton[/p][/quote]no you are confused. The word "Southampton" is used to represent both " greater southampton " urban area and " the city of southampton ". Townhill is neither in Eastleigh, nor Greater Eastleigh although parts are in Eastleigh administrative borough. So it is perfectly correct to describe it as a "southampton estate". MGRA
  • Score: 0

9:45am Wed 17 Oct 12

west_side says...

Might SS wrote:
It is Eastleigh not Southampton
Is this not in the area formerly known as Chartwell Green and now adopted as West End? I would say it's Southampton, although I believe it does come under Eastleigh Borough Council.
[quote][p][bold]Might SS[/bold] wrote: It is Eastleigh not Southampton[/p][/quote]Is this not in the area formerly known as Chartwell Green and now adopted as West End? I would say it's Southampton, although I believe it does come under Eastleigh Borough Council. west_side
  • Score: 0

9:50am Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

west_side wrote:
Might SS wrote:
It is Eastleigh not Southampton
Is this not in the area formerly known as Chartwell Green and now adopted as West End? I would say it's Southampton, although I believe it does come under Eastleigh Borough Council.
the chippy is on the half of the estate that is in West End Parish so its EBC administered but its historically part of Greater Southampton. Remember the Hampshire town of Bournemouth is now administered by Dorset but that does not stop Bournemouth being a "Hampshire" town. Most people in Bournemouth ignore the artificial boundary as do the people of West End administered Townhill Estate....
[quote][p][bold]west_side[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Might SS[/bold] wrote: It is Eastleigh not Southampton[/p][/quote]Is this not in the area formerly known as Chartwell Green and now adopted as West End? I would say it's Southampton, although I believe it does come under Eastleigh Borough Council.[/p][/quote]the chippy is on the half of the estate that is in West End Parish so its EBC administered but its historically part of Greater Southampton. Remember the Hampshire town of Bournemouth is now administered by Dorset but that does not stop Bournemouth being a "Hampshire" town. Most people in Bournemouth ignore the artificial boundary as do the people of West End administered Townhill Estate.... MGRA
  • Score: 0

10:20am Wed 17 Oct 12

Georgem says...

boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
You don't HAVE to keep reading them. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
[quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]You don't HAVE to keep reading them. Nobody's holding a gun to your head. Georgem
  • Score: 0

10:31am Wed 17 Oct 12

hulla baloo says...

Georgem wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
You don't HAVE to keep reading them. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
And humourous is open to debate.
[quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]You don't HAVE to keep reading them. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.[/p][/quote]And humourous is open to debate. hulla baloo
  • Score: 0

10:42am Wed 17 Oct 12

ToastyTea says...

boobooj wrote:
It was good nobody was hurt, but the real problem is how will the residents survive without without their daily dose greasy junk food?
they'll just go to Mcdonalds instead.
[quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: It was good nobody was hurt, but the real problem is how will the residents survive without without their daily dose greasy junk food?[/p][/quote]they'll just go to Mcdonalds instead. ToastyTea
  • Score: 0

11:01am Wed 17 Oct 12

yellowcard says...

MGRA wrote:
Might SS wrote:
It is Eastleigh not Southampton
no you are confused. The word "Southampton" is used to represent both " greater southampton " urban area and " the city of southampton ".

Townhill is neither in Eastleigh, nor Greater Eastleigh although parts are in Eastleigh administrative borough.

So it is perfectly correct to describe it as a "southampton estate".
the poster is correct as it is next to the two brothers pub which is in the borough of Eastleigh. it also said townhill way not townhill. so please look on your map next time before putting someone down.. shame about the chippy does nice chips.
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Might SS[/bold] wrote: It is Eastleigh not Southampton[/p][/quote]no you are confused. The word "Southampton" is used to represent both " greater southampton " urban area and " the city of southampton ". Townhill is neither in Eastleigh, nor Greater Eastleigh although parts are in Eastleigh administrative borough. So it is perfectly correct to describe it as a "southampton estate".[/p][/quote]the poster is correct as it is next to the two brothers pub which is in the borough of Eastleigh. it also said townhill way not townhill. so please look on your map next time before putting someone down.. shame about the chippy does nice chips. yellowcard
  • Score: 0

11:45am Wed 17 Oct 12

MegGriffin says...

boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
You're wrong. You don't HAVE to read them.
[quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]You're wrong. You don't HAVE to read them. MegGriffin
  • Score: 0

11:45am Wed 17 Oct 12

S!monOn says...

hulla baloo wrote:
Georgem wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
You don't HAVE to keep reading them. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
And humourous is open to debate.
Where is the "Not funny" button?
[quote][p][bold]hulla baloo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Georgem[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]You don't HAVE to keep reading them. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.[/p][/quote]And humourous is open to debate.[/p][/quote]Where is the "Not funny" button? S!monOn
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Wed 17 Oct 12

AdrianSmith says...

MGRA wrote:
Might SS wrote:
It is Eastleigh not Southampton
no you are confused. The word "Southampton" is used to represent both " greater southampton " urban area and " the city of southampton ".

Townhill is neither in Eastleigh, nor Greater Eastleigh although parts are in Eastleigh administrative borough.

So it is perfectly correct to describe it as a "southampton estate".
MGRA's right. Chartwell Green is in Eastleigh Borough, but it is not in Eastleigh, which is 3 miles away.

The address is Chartwell Green, Southampton, not Chartwell Green, Eastleigh.
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Might SS[/bold] wrote: It is Eastleigh not Southampton[/p][/quote]no you are confused. The word "Southampton" is used to represent both " greater southampton " urban area and " the city of southampton ". Townhill is neither in Eastleigh, nor Greater Eastleigh although parts are in Eastleigh administrative borough. So it is perfectly correct to describe it as a "southampton estate".[/p][/quote]MGRA's right. Chartwell Green is in Eastleigh Borough, but it is not in Eastleigh, which is 3 miles away. The address is Chartwell Green, Southampton, not Chartwell Green, Eastleigh. AdrianSmith
  • Score: 0

1:10pm Wed 17 Oct 12

sarfhamton says...

Oh no! I love this Chippy! Salad for me tonight then.
Oh no! I love this Chippy! Salad for me tonight then. sarfhamton
  • Score: 0

2:08pm Wed 17 Oct 12

S!monOn says...

sarfhamton wrote:
Oh no! I love this Chippy! Salad for me tonight then.
Salad is fine... it's the huge side order of chicken tikka masala thats going to be a problem.
[quote][p][bold]sarfhamton[/bold] wrote: Oh no! I love this Chippy! Salad for me tonight then.[/p][/quote]Salad is fine... it's the huge side order of chicken tikka masala thats going to be a problem. S!monOn
  • Score: 0

2:30pm Wed 17 Oct 12

hmw says...

Is it a coincidence that at the exact same time Hot Chip took the stage at the Guildhall? I think not.
Oh.My.God. That's like, s.o spooky
Is it a coincidence that at the exact same time Hot Chip took the stage at the Guildhall? I think not. Oh.My.God. That's like, s.o spooky hmw
  • Score: 0

4:47pm Wed 17 Oct 12

davehills says...

There was a fight in our local chippy the other night.

Six fish got battered.
There was a fight in our local chippy the other night. Six fish got battered. davehills
  • Score: 0

6:12pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Eric_Cartman says...

MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?! Eric_Cartman
  • Score: 0

6:41pm Wed 17 Oct 12

boobooj says...

MGRA wrote:
west_side wrote:
Might SS wrote:
It is Eastleigh not Southampton
Is this not in the area formerly known as Chartwell Green and now adopted as West End? I would say it's Southampton, although I believe it does come under Eastleigh Borough Council.
the chippy is on the half of the estate that is in West End Parish so its EBC administered but its historically part of Greater Southampton. Remember the Hampshire town of Bournemouth is now administered by Dorset but that does not stop Bournemouth being a "Hampshire" town. Most people in Bournemouth ignore the artificial boundary as do the people of West End administered Townhill Estate....
Well at least trying to make humourous comments than argue ad infinitum about the correct name for a geographical location.
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]west_side[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Might SS[/bold] wrote: It is Eastleigh not Southampton[/p][/quote]Is this not in the area formerly known as Chartwell Green and now adopted as West End? I would say it's Southampton, although I believe it does come under Eastleigh Borough Council.[/p][/quote]the chippy is on the half of the estate that is in West End Parish so its EBC administered but its historically part of Greater Southampton. Remember the Hampshire town of Bournemouth is now administered by Dorset but that does not stop Bournemouth being a "Hampshire" town. Most people in Bournemouth ignore the artificial boundary as do the people of West End administered Townhill Estate....[/p][/quote]Well at least trying to make humourous comments than argue ad infinitum about the correct name for a geographical location. boobooj
  • Score: 0

6:41pm Wed 17 Oct 12

S Pance says...

I'm loving the way they called it "Chip Stop". It's like a chip SHOP but they replaced the word shop with the word STOP to make more people stop and buy chips.

Very clever.
I'm loving the way they called it "Chip Stop". It's like a chip SHOP but they replaced the word shop with the word STOP to make more people stop and buy chips. Very clever. S Pance
  • Score: 0

7:12pm Wed 17 Oct 12

suenami71 says...

3 babies ended up in hospital over night due to this fire and you lot are arguing about it being eastleigh not southampton.. sometimes I dispair at people
3 babies ended up in hospital over night due to this fire and you lot are arguing about it being eastleigh not southampton.. sometimes I dispair at people suenami71
  • Score: 0

7:42pm Wed 17 Oct 12

S Pance says...

It's dreaful that three babies were hospitalised by this fire.

Why does the Echo make no mention of this?
It's dreaful that three babies were hospitalised by this fire. Why does the Echo make no mention of this? S Pance
  • Score: 0

7:55pm Wed 17 Oct 12

suenami71 says...

I was surprised that there is no mention too..
I was surprised that there is no mention too.. suenami71
  • Score: 0

8:26pm Wed 17 Oct 12

sass says...

suenami71 wrote:
3 babies ended up in hospital over night due to this fire and you lot are arguing about it being eastleigh not southampton.. sometimes I dispair at people
I despair at your grasp of English.
[quote][p][bold]suenami71[/bold] wrote: 3 babies ended up in hospital over night due to this fire and you lot are arguing about it being eastleigh not southampton.. sometimes I dispair at people[/p][/quote]I despair at your grasp of English. sass
  • Score: 0

9:00pm Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

yellowcard wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Might SS wrote:
It is Eastleigh not Southampton
no you are confused. The word "Southampton" is used to represent both " greater southampton " urban area and " the city of southampton ".

Townhill is neither in Eastleigh, nor Greater Eastleigh although parts are in Eastleigh administrative borough.

So it is perfectly correct to describe it as a "southampton estate".
the poster is correct as it is next to the two brothers pub which is in the borough of Eastleigh. it also said townhill way not townhill. so please look on your map next time before putting someone down.. shame about the chippy does nice chips.
you don't understand the difference between populations and administrative areas... it is in greater southampton population and area . The echo said "southampton" , not "city of southampton". Its really simple.... honestly it really is...
[quote][p][bold]yellowcard[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Might SS[/bold] wrote: It is Eastleigh not Southampton[/p][/quote]no you are confused. The word "Southampton" is used to represent both " greater southampton " urban area and " the city of southampton ". Townhill is neither in Eastleigh, nor Greater Eastleigh although parts are in Eastleigh administrative borough. So it is perfectly correct to describe it as a "southampton estate".[/p][/quote]the poster is correct as it is next to the two brothers pub which is in the borough of Eastleigh. it also said townhill way not townhill. so please look on your map next time before putting someone down.. shame about the chippy does nice chips.[/p][/quote]you don't understand the difference between populations and administrative areas... it is in greater southampton population and area . The echo said "southampton" , not "city of southampton". Its really simple.... honestly it really is... MGRA
  • Score: 0

9:03pm Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
[quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat. MGRA
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Eric_Cartman says...

MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it.... Eric_Cartman
  • Score: 0

10:12pm Wed 17 Oct 12

boobooj says...

Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.
[quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science. boobooj
  • Score: 0

10:16pm Wed 17 Oct 12

S Pance says...

I used to go to a chipper in Wiltshire who used to fry the chips in lard. Dead tasty they were too.

As for battered fish without the batter what is the point?
I used to go to a chipper in Wiltshire who used to fry the chips in lard. Dead tasty they were too. As for battered fish without the batter what is the point? S Pance
  • Score: 0

10:20pm Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
rubbish... beer batter as used in the 21st century is to give the finished flavour a slight bitter edge to offset natural sweetness of the batter... your comment belongs in the 20th century... if its not for flavour, then bicarb is a lot cheaper than beer !! LOL !!!!
[quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]rubbish... beer batter as used in the 21st century is to give the finished flavour a slight bitter edge to offset natural sweetness of the batter... your comment belongs in the 20th century... if its not for flavour, then bicarb is a lot cheaper than beer !! LOL !!!! MGRA
  • Score: 0

10:23pm Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

boobooj wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.
morons on here tonight.... Batter insulates the flesh of the fish so it can be cooked quickly and at a high temperature without searing. This seals the flavour and preserves the texture. I can't believe how little people know about the "national dish".... only huge people and kids eats batter..... LOL !!
[quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.[/p][/quote]morons on here tonight.... Batter insulates the flesh of the fish so it can be cooked quickly and at a high temperature without searing. This seals the flavour and preserves the texture. I can't believe how little people know about the "national dish".... only huge people and kids eats batter..... LOL !! MGRA
  • Score: 0

10:26pm Wed 17 Oct 12

boobooj says...

MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
rubbish... beer batter as used in the 21st century is to give the finished flavour a slight bitter edge to offset natural sweetness of the batter... your comment belongs in the 20th century... if its not for flavour, then bicarb is a lot cheaper than beer !! LOL !!!!
Beer is mainly used because it aerates the batter and you can use it instead of water in the mixture, the mild flavour change is a bi-product. Show Google some love before posting, MGRA.
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]rubbish... beer batter as used in the 21st century is to give the finished flavour a slight bitter edge to offset natural sweetness of the batter... your comment belongs in the 20th century... if its not for flavour, then bicarb is a lot cheaper than beer !! LOL !!!![/p][/quote]Beer is mainly used because it aerates the batter and you can use it instead of water in the mixture, the mild flavour change is a bi-product. Show Google some love before posting, MGRA. boobooj
  • Score: 0

10:41pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Eric_Cartman says...

MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.
morons on here tonight.... Batter insulates the flesh of the fish so it can be cooked quickly and at a high temperature without searing. This seals the flavour and preserves the texture. I can't believe how little people know about the "national dish".... only huge people and kids eats batter..... LOL !!
If batter insulates the fish, how would it cook quicker? Steaming a filet would cook it in just as quick a time without searing but it's the batter that people like too.
Thankyou boobooj, beer is sometimes used instead of water because the bubbles in the beer will add body and lightness to the batter. We sometimes used carbonated water.
I wouldn't call yourself a moron; just do a little research before commenting. The internet is a wonderful learning tool...
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.[/p][/quote]morons on here tonight.... Batter insulates the flesh of the fish so it can be cooked quickly and at a high temperature without searing. This seals the flavour and preserves the texture. I can't believe how little people know about the "national dish".... only huge people and kids eats batter..... LOL !![/p][/quote]If batter insulates the fish, how would it cook quicker? Steaming a filet would cook it in just as quick a time without searing but it's the batter that people like too. Thankyou boobooj, beer is sometimes used instead of water because the bubbles in the beer will add body and lightness to the batter. We sometimes used carbonated water. I wouldn't call yourself a moron; just do a little research before commenting. The internet is a wonderful learning tool... Eric_Cartman
  • Score: 0

10:56pm Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

boobooj wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
rubbish... beer batter as used in the 21st century is to give the finished flavour a slight bitter edge to offset natural sweetness of the batter... your comment belongs in the 20th century... if its not for flavour, then bicarb is a lot cheaper than beer !! LOL !!!!
Beer is mainly used because it aerates the batter and you can use it instead of water in the mixture, the mild flavour change is a bi-product. Show Google some love before posting, MGRA.
google is for idiots.... professional journals are for non-idiots.... the next you tell me will to "wiki" it LOL !!!
[quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]rubbish... beer batter as used in the 21st century is to give the finished flavour a slight bitter edge to offset natural sweetness of the batter... your comment belongs in the 20th century... if its not for flavour, then bicarb is a lot cheaper than beer !! LOL !!!![/p][/quote]Beer is mainly used because it aerates the batter and you can use it instead of water in the mixture, the mild flavour change is a bi-product. Show Google some love before posting, MGRA.[/p][/quote]google is for idiots.... professional journals are for non-idiots.... the next you tell me will to "wiki" it LOL !!! MGRA
  • Score: 0

10:59pm Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.
morons on here tonight.... Batter insulates the flesh of the fish so it can be cooked quickly and at a high temperature without searing. This seals the flavour and preserves the texture. I can't believe how little people know about the "national dish".... only huge people and kids eats batter..... LOL !!
If batter insulates the fish, how would it cook quicker? Steaming a filet would cook it in just as quick a time without searing but it's the batter that people like too.
Thankyou boobooj, beer is sometimes used instead of water because the bubbles in the beer will add body and lightness to the batter. We sometimes used carbonated water.
I wouldn't call yourself a moron; just do a little research before commenting. The internet is a wonderful learning tool...
it allows it to cook more quickly at HIGHER temperatures without searing..... basic science..... the internet is a wonderful tool for tools who don't want to understand anything properly or who have forgotten basic science as taught to 11 year olds.
[quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.[/p][/quote]morons on here tonight.... Batter insulates the flesh of the fish so it can be cooked quickly and at a high temperature without searing. This seals the flavour and preserves the texture. I can't believe how little people know about the "national dish".... only huge people and kids eats batter..... LOL !![/p][/quote]If batter insulates the fish, how would it cook quicker? Steaming a filet would cook it in just as quick a time without searing but it's the batter that people like too. Thankyou boobooj, beer is sometimes used instead of water because the bubbles in the beer will add body and lightness to the batter. We sometimes used carbonated water. I wouldn't call yourself a moron; just do a little research before commenting. The internet is a wonderful learning tool...[/p][/quote]it allows it to cook more quickly at HIGHER temperatures without searing..... basic science..... the internet is a wonderful tool for tools who don't want to understand anything properly or who have forgotten basic science as taught to 11 year olds. MGRA
  • Score: 0

11:13pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Eric_Cartman says...

MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.
morons on here tonight.... Batter insulates the flesh of the fish so it can be cooked quickly and at a high temperature without searing. This seals the flavour and preserves the texture. I can't believe how little people know about the "national dish".... only huge people and kids eats batter..... LOL !!
If batter insulates the fish, how would it cook quicker? Steaming a filet would cook it in just as quick a time without searing but it's the batter that people like too.
Thankyou boobooj, beer is sometimes used instead of water because the bubbles in the beer will add body and lightness to the batter. We sometimes used carbonated water.
I wouldn't call yourself a moron; just do a little research before commenting. The internet is a wonderful learning tool...
it allows it to cook more quickly at HIGHER temperatures without searing..... basic science..... the internet is a wonderful tool for tools who don't want to understand anything properly or who have forgotten basic science as taught to 11 year olds.
Perhaps you should try it then lol!! :-P
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]You know, almost all chip shops batter their own fish. So you could always ask for a fish with no batter, instead of taking the batter off and wasting it. Hardly rocket science.[/p][/quote]morons on here tonight.... Batter insulates the flesh of the fish so it can be cooked quickly and at a high temperature without searing. This seals the flavour and preserves the texture. I can't believe how little people know about the "national dish".... only huge people and kids eats batter..... LOL !![/p][/quote]If batter insulates the fish, how would it cook quicker? Steaming a filet would cook it in just as quick a time without searing but it's the batter that people like too. Thankyou boobooj, beer is sometimes used instead of water because the bubbles in the beer will add body and lightness to the batter. We sometimes used carbonated water. I wouldn't call yourself a moron; just do a little research before commenting. The internet is a wonderful learning tool...[/p][/quote]it allows it to cook more quickly at HIGHER temperatures without searing..... basic science..... the internet is a wonderful tool for tools who don't want to understand anything properly or who have forgotten basic science as taught to 11 year olds.[/p][/quote]Perhaps you should try it then lol!! :-P Eric_Cartman
  • Score: 0

11:15pm Wed 17 Oct 12

MGRA says...

from a journal : "Beer alcohol plays an important role in moderating the internal fish temperature and crisping the batter crust. Alcohol evaporates faster than water, so a beer batter doesn’t have to cook as long as alternatives and hence 'shock-infuses' the fish with flavour . The faster the batter dries, the lower the risk of overcooking the food."
from a journal : "Beer alcohol plays an important role in moderating the internal fish temperature and crisping the batter crust. Alcohol evaporates faster than water, so a beer batter doesn’t have to cook as long as alternatives and hence 'shock-infuses' the fish with flavour [ note this flavour is only present in strength while the food is still warm ] . The faster the batter dries, the lower the risk of overcooking the food." MGRA
  • Score: 0

11:19pm Wed 17 Oct 12

Eric_Cartman says...

MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
Eric_Cartman wrote:
MGRA wrote:
boobooj wrote:
Vonnie wrote:
Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.
If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile.

I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D
you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.
I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?!
because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.
Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....
rubbish... beer batter as used in the 21st century is to give the finished flavour a slight bitter edge to offset natural sweetness of the batter... your comment belongs in the 20th century... if its not for flavour, then bicarb is a lot cheaper than beer !! LOL !!!!
Beer is mainly used because it aerates the batter and you can use it instead of water in the mixture, the mild flavour change is a bi-product. Show Google some love before posting, MGRA.
google is for idiots.... professional journals are for non-idiots.... the next you tell me will to "wiki" it LOL !!!
And which professional journal is this? Fish Gutter Monthly? The Batter Times? Or is it my favourite; The Batter Connoisseur's Guide? Tell me, does what you say apply to Mars Bars and other battered confections?
I think I smell a bu**sh*ter...
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Eric_Cartman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]boobooj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vonnie[/bold] wrote: Do shut up with stupid comments like this. Not even funny.[/p][/quote]If I keep having to read stories that barely qualify as news, I'll keep embellishing them with humourous comments to make them worthwhile. I suspect you are just bitter that you'll have to walk a bit further for you're jumbo sausage and chips for a while :-D[/p][/quote]you are educationally challenged with regards your understanding of food it seems. There is nothing healthier that deep fried white fish so long as the oil is at the correct temperature and you don't eat the batter..... The fact you think that potentially fatal fires "barely qualify" as news makes you also sociapathic.[/p][/quote]I'm pretty sure there are healthier foods and why would you buy a battered cod and not eat the batter?![/p][/quote]because ( and this is so obvious I can't believe I am typing it ) the batter gives flavour to the fish.... classic beer batter for instance. Why would anyone eat all the batter on deep fried white fish, its revolting to eat that much saturated fat.[/p][/quote]Beer is added mainly to make the batter bubbly. As most southern chippies use veggie oil, there is not much saturated fat at all in the batter apart from the natural fat of the fish which again, isn't much. All that was so obvious that I can't believe that I typed it....[/p][/quote]rubbish... beer batter as used in the 21st century is to give the finished flavour a slight bitter edge to offset natural sweetness of the batter... your comment belongs in the 20th century... if its not for flavour, then bicarb is a lot cheaper than beer !! LOL !!!![/p][/quote]Beer is mainly used because it aerates the batter and you can use it instead of water in the mixture, the mild flavour change is a bi-product. Show Google some love before posting, MGRA.[/p][/quote]google is for idiots.... professional journals are for non-idiots.... the next you tell me will to "wiki" it LOL !!![/p][/quote]And which professional journal is this? Fish Gutter Monthly? The Batter Times? Or is it my favourite; The Batter Connoisseur's Guide? Tell me, does what you say apply to Mars Bars and other battered confections? I think I smell a bu**sh*ter... Eric_Cartman
  • Score: 0

12:22am Thu 18 Oct 12

Braders12 says...

suenami71 wrote:
3 babies ended up in hospital over night due to this fire and you lot are arguing about it being eastleigh not southampton.. sometimes I dispair at people
yea one of those babies was my niece and my mates babies and some of the comments on here are really sick
[quote][p][bold]suenami71[/bold] wrote: 3 babies ended up in hospital over night due to this fire and you lot are arguing about it being eastleigh not southampton.. sometimes I dispair at people[/p][/quote]yea one of those babies was my niece and my mates babies and some of the comments on here are really sick Braders12
  • Score: 0

11:55am Thu 18 Oct 12

bobbyboy says...

Sorry to hear of the babies having to go to hospital and the fact a local chippie was the cause.
Then after reading a lot of the Carps comments on hear has made me a bit peckish so i will pop of to west end and get some grub from there it was voted the best chippie in england but then for you lot wallowing around in your ponds you dont seem to travel much.For the record i live in Mansbridge thats on the outskirts too as a rule of thumb those that live left of the A27 Mansbridge road from Gaters mill upwards are Eastliegh/Westend those to the right are Southampton right up to Tesco Burseldon road.
Sorry to hear of the babies having to go to hospital and the fact a local chippie was the cause. Then after reading a lot of the Carps comments on hear has made me a bit peckish so i will pop of to west end and get some grub from there it was voted the best chippie in england but then for you lot wallowing around in your ponds you dont seem to travel much.For the record i live in Mansbridge thats on the outskirts too as a rule of thumb those that live left of the A27 Mansbridge road from Gaters mill upwards are Eastliegh/Westend those to the right are Southampton right up to Tesco Burseldon road. bobbyboy
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree