Gosport man Joromie Lewis died after drinking Cole Cold Pear-D fruit drink laced with cocaine in Southampton

Daily Echo: Cole Cold Pear D fruit drink which contained a lethal amount of cocaine Cole Cold Pear D fruit drink which contained a lethal amount of cocaine

A MAN has died after unwittingly drinking a fruit drink which had been laced with a lethal amount cocaine.

Joromie Lewis, 33, of Kings Road, Gosport, became ill immediately after drinking a pear fruit drink in Southampton.

Tests have shown that the Cole Cold Pear-D fruit drink contained a lethal amount of cocaine.

The Food Standards Agency today issued an alert to all local authorities to contact retailers to withdraw Pear-D if it is found.

Police now have established that the bottle of Cole Cold Pear-D fruit drink was manufactured in the Caribbean and the company did not export this drink to the UK.

Mr Lewis died on Thursday, December 5, just hours after he consumed a small amount of the beverage.

Police say their enquiries suggest Mr Lewis ingested a small amount of liquid in the belief he was drinking a genuine pear drink.

The delivery driver was at his employer's lock-up garage in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage.

He was then taken ill and later died in hospital.

A post mortem examination was carried out on Saturday, December 7. The results were inconclusive and further enquiries are being carried out in respect of toxicology.

Yesterday, police received laboratory test results which showed that the liquid in the juice bottle contained a lethal amount of cocaine.

No arrests have been made in connection with the death of Mr Lewis.

Detective Superintendent Richard Pearson is leading the police investigation, Operation Crab. He said: “We are working closely with partner agencies [...] to minimise any risk to the public and to investigate the circumstances leading to the tragic death of Mr Lewis.

"We are supporting his family and linking closely with public health departments.

“We have taken clear advice from partner agencies and, in light of the analysis of the contents of the bottle, a decision was made to issue the public alert by the Food Standards Agency.

“Enquiries to date have not identified any further incidents or similar bottles. The investigation suggests that this was likely to be a rogue bottle from a consignment of drugs stored in plastic juice bottles.

"If anyone finds a bottle of Pear D juice like the picture, do not open the bottle. If sealed the bottle is perfectly safe. Take the bottle to the nearest police station, and we will examine the contents if appropriate.”

Daily Echo: Joromie Lewis

The Royal Navy veteran, was originally from St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Mr Lewis' wife, Jayrusha has paid tribute to her husband, who was a member of the Bridgemary family church.

She said: "He was a devoted family - oriented man with a selfless attitude to help others, and always knew the right words and advice to give.  His exemplary conduct and actions touched the lives and hearts of many."

Anyone who finds they have a bottle of Pear-D should bring it to their local police station and are advised to contact the Food Standards Agency on 020 7276 8448.

Further advice around the risk can be found at food.gov.uk.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:59pm Thu 12 Dec 13

bigfella777 says...

The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage.

What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?
The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage. What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop? bigfella777

6:06pm Thu 12 Dec 13

userds5050 says...

bigfella777 wrote:
The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage.

What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?
Liquid cocaine can be decantered and filtered back to its original state with only a 10% loss in quantity. customs intercepted around £8 million hidden in carrot juice containers in January.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage. What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?[/p][/quote]Liquid cocaine can be decantered and filtered back to its original state with only a 10% loss in quantity. customs intercepted around £8 million hidden in carrot juice containers in January. userds5050

6:08pm Thu 12 Dec 13

cantthinkofone says...

bigfella777 wrote:
The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage.

What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?
One possibility.

But the manufacturers said they didn't export it, that doesn't mean it can't be bought here if someone brought a load back themselves. A small businessman specialising in Caribbean products you can't usually buy in the UK for instance. In which case someone could well have bought it and adulterated it as a way of disguising their personal 'stash', and then left it in the lock-up either accidentally, or because they were surprised, or because they thought it'd be safe there.

I'm not saying that's what happened, it's purely speculation - but what I'm pointing out is that there are actually multiple possibilities.

Whatever the cause, it's a tragedy for Mr Lewis' family, at what is meant to be a joyous time of year. I hope they provide strength and comfort to each other.
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage. What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?[/p][/quote]One possibility. But the manufacturers said they didn't export it, that doesn't mean it can't be bought here if someone brought a load back themselves. A small businessman specialising in Caribbean products you can't usually buy in the UK for instance. In which case someone could well have bought it and adulterated it as a way of disguising their personal 'stash', and then left it in the lock-up either accidentally, or because they were surprised, or because they thought it'd be safe there. I'm not saying that's what happened, it's purely speculation - but what I'm pointing out is that there are actually multiple possibilities. Whatever the cause, it's a tragedy for Mr Lewis' family, at what is meant to be a joyous time of year. I hope they provide strength and comfort to each other. cantthinkofone

6:53pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Huey says...

userds5050 wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage.

What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?
Liquid cocaine can be decantered and filtered back to its original state with only a 10% loss in quantity. customs intercepted around £8 million hidden in carrot juice containers in January.
Former England cricketer Chris Lewis got eight years for smuggling cocaine inside Caribbean drinks not so long ago.
[quote][p][bold]userds5050[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage. What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?[/p][/quote]Liquid cocaine can be decantered and filtered back to its original state with only a 10% loss in quantity. customs intercepted around £8 million hidden in carrot juice containers in January.[/p][/quote]Former England cricketer Chris Lewis got eight years for smuggling cocaine inside Caribbean drinks not so long ago. Huey

7:53pm Thu 12 Dec 13

weall8leedscum says...

This would never happen under sharia law.
This would never happen under sharia law. weall8leedscum

9:00pm Thu 12 Dec 13

Saintly Sam says...

weall8leedscum wrote:
This would never happen under sharia law.
Really?
Then please explain how so much heroin is produced in Afghanistan under the protection of the Taliban, produced by Muslim farmers in areas of the country which operate under sharia law.
[quote][p][bold]weall8leedscum[/bold] wrote: This would never happen under sharia law.[/p][/quote]Really? Then please explain how so much heroin is produced in Afghanistan under the protection of the Taliban, produced by Muslim farmers in areas of the country which operate under sharia law. Saintly Sam

11:00pm Thu 12 Dec 13

cantthinkofone says...

weall8leedscum wrote:
This would never happen under sharia law.
Lol.

And hundreds of Echo readers hear nothing but a faint *whoosh*... :-D
[quote][p][bold]weall8leedscum[/bold] wrote: This would never happen under sharia law.[/p][/quote]Lol. And hundreds of Echo readers hear nothing but a faint *whoosh*... :-D cantthinkofone

11:43pm Thu 12 Dec 13

userds5050 says...

weall8leedscum wrote:
This would never happen under sharia law.
"Sharia law" is a tautology. It's just Sharia. Sharia means law in Arabic so the law bit's not necessary.
[quote][p][bold]weall8leedscum[/bold] wrote: This would never happen under sharia law.[/p][/quote]"Sharia law" is a tautology. It's just Sharia. Sharia means law in Arabic so the law bit's not necessary. userds5050

12:11am Fri 13 Dec 13

Someone_New says...

cantthinkofone wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage.

What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?
One possibility.

But the manufacturers said they didn't export it, that doesn't mean it can't be bought here if someone brought a load back themselves. A small businessman specialising in Caribbean products you can't usually buy in the UK for instance. In which case someone could well have bought it and adulterated it as a way of disguising their personal 'stash', and then left it in the lock-up either accidentally, or because they were surprised, or because they thought it'd be safe there.

I'm not saying that's what happened, it's purely speculation - but what I'm pointing out is that there are actually multiple possibilities.

Whatever the cause, it's a tragedy for Mr Lewis' family, at what is meant to be a joyous time of year. I hope they provide strength and comfort to each other.
Some of what you say is along the right lines. Much stuff is legally imported and exported between the UK and the caribbean each year, and can pass through many hands between the suppliers and the eventual purchasers. Having some first-hand knowledge of this particular case, I can at least say that this was an accidental tragedy to happen to a good, Christian man who leaves behind a young family. Like any ongoing police investigation, people should not post speculation and make assumptions before any facts are known... not that such things have ever stopped most of you DE readers before!
[quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage. What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?[/p][/quote]One possibility. But the manufacturers said they didn't export it, that doesn't mean it can't be bought here if someone brought a load back themselves. A small businessman specialising in Caribbean products you can't usually buy in the UK for instance. In which case someone could well have bought it and adulterated it as a way of disguising their personal 'stash', and then left it in the lock-up either accidentally, or because they were surprised, or because they thought it'd be safe there. I'm not saying that's what happened, it's purely speculation - but what I'm pointing out is that there are actually multiple possibilities. Whatever the cause, it's a tragedy for Mr Lewis' family, at what is meant to be a joyous time of year. I hope they provide strength and comfort to each other.[/p][/quote]Some of what you say is along the right lines. Much stuff is legally imported and exported between the UK and the caribbean each year, and can pass through many hands between the suppliers and the eventual purchasers. Having some first-hand knowledge of this particular case, I can at least say that this was an accidental tragedy to happen to a good, Christian man who leaves behind a young family. Like any ongoing police investigation, people should not post speculation and make assumptions before any facts are known... not that such things have ever stopped most of you DE readers before! Someone_New

8:50am Fri 13 Dec 13

rudolph_hucker says...

Huey wrote:
userds5050 wrote:
bigfella777 wrote: The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage. What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?
Liquid cocaine can be decantered and filtered back to its original state with only a 10% loss in quantity. customs intercepted around £8 million hidden in carrot juice containers in January.
Former England cricketer Chris Lewis got eight years for smuggling cocaine inside Caribbean drinks not so long ago.
He got 13 years.
[quote][p][bold]Huey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]userds5050[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage. What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?[/p][/quote]Liquid cocaine can be decantered and filtered back to its original state with only a 10% loss in quantity. customs intercepted around £8 million hidden in carrot juice containers in January.[/p][/quote]Former England cricketer Chris Lewis got eight years for smuggling cocaine inside Caribbean drinks not so long ago.[/p][/quote]He got 13 years. rudolph_hucker

11:38am Fri 13 Dec 13

southamptonadi says...

Someone_New wrote:
cantthinkofone wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage.

What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?
One possibility.

But the manufacturers said they didn't export it, that doesn't mean it can't be bought here if someone brought a load back themselves. A small businessman specialising in Caribbean products you can't usually buy in the UK for instance. In which case someone could well have bought it and adulterated it as a way of disguising their personal 'stash', and then left it in the lock-up either accidentally, or because they were surprised, or because they thought it'd be safe there.

I'm not saying that's what happened, it's purely speculation - but what I'm pointing out is that there are actually multiple possibilities.

Whatever the cause, it's a tragedy for Mr Lewis' family, at what is meant to be a joyous time of year. I hope they provide strength and comfort to each other.
Some of what you say is along the right lines. Much stuff is legally imported and exported between the UK and the caribbean each year, and can pass through many hands between the suppliers and the eventual purchasers. Having some first-hand knowledge of this particular case, I can at least say that this was an accidental tragedy to happen to a good, Christian man who leaves behind a young family. Like any ongoing police investigation, people should not post speculation and make assumptions before any facts are known... not that such things have ever stopped most of you DE readers before!
NO one has said the late Mr Lewis was involved in anyway, the police have said the drink was contaminated and is not made with cocaine in. So actually they are talking about facts (for once) the fact is SOMEONE laced the drink.

They are speculating on the why is was laced. thats all. Which is proberly correct. no one has blamed Mr lewis but some legitamate questions were raised, No harm done.

Im not having a go in any way especially as you are close to the faimily and my thoughts are with his family.
[quote][p][bold]Someone_New[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cantthinkofone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: The delivery driver was at his employer's lock in in the Bitterne area of the city when he saw the drink and took a mouthful, believing it to be a normal beverage. What does that even mean? If it cannot be purchased here then this is obviously cocaine being smuggled, how did it get there? Do police really believe this was bought in a shop?[/p][/quote]One possibility. But the manufacturers said they didn't export it, that doesn't mean it can't be bought here if someone brought a load back themselves. A small businessman specialising in Caribbean products you can't usually buy in the UK for instance. In which case someone could well have bought it and adulterated it as a way of disguising their personal 'stash', and then left it in the lock-up either accidentally, or because they were surprised, or because they thought it'd be safe there. I'm not saying that's what happened, it's purely speculation - but what I'm pointing out is that there are actually multiple possibilities. Whatever the cause, it's a tragedy for Mr Lewis' family, at what is meant to be a joyous time of year. I hope they provide strength and comfort to each other.[/p][/quote]Some of what you say is along the right lines. Much stuff is legally imported and exported between the UK and the caribbean each year, and can pass through many hands between the suppliers and the eventual purchasers. Having some first-hand knowledge of this particular case, I can at least say that this was an accidental tragedy to happen to a good, Christian man who leaves behind a young family. Like any ongoing police investigation, people should not post speculation and make assumptions before any facts are known... not that such things have ever stopped most of you DE readers before![/p][/quote]NO one has said the late Mr Lewis was involved in anyway, the police have said the drink was contaminated and is not made with cocaine in. So actually they are talking about facts (for once) the fact is SOMEONE laced the drink. They are speculating on the why is was laced. thats all. Which is proberly correct. no one has blamed Mr lewis but some legitamate questions were raised, No harm done. Im not having a go in any way especially as you are close to the faimily and my thoughts are with his family. southamptonadi

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree