Report this comment
  • "
    Paramjit Bahia wrote:
    NuLabour and Echo seem to have common denominators
    .
    For producing stories on the cheap, Echo is recycling old ones and leadership of NuLabour in the Council is desperate for cheap publicity so they are recycling old press releases about project actually started by Tories (Must give full marks to NuLabourites they have mastered the art of misleading)
    .
    Hardly surprising Echo’s circulation is going down while thanks to excellent work done by the Echo in exposing the dictatorial nature of NuLabour Group led by their ‘Dear Leader’ Cllr. Richard Williams has started to fall even faster
    .
    But there could be a little difference, Echo probably will still be around while sadly having started to behave like North Korea’s ‘Dear Leader’ NuLabour’s local ‘Dear Leader’ Cllr. Richard Williams may not last that long.
    Stop talking 8ollocks."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Southampton residents given chance to see £8m plan for Platform Road

Daily Echo: Platform Road and Queen's Park Platform Road and Queen's Park

IT’S a £8m scheme to boost economic growth in Southampton by easing traffic congestion in one of the city’s worst hotspots.

And now the public has a chance to give their views on the proposals to improve waterfront travel.

Council chiefs want to create a new dual carriageway along Platform Road to ease motorists’ misery and pave the way for an expansion of Southampton’s port and cruise operation.

As previously revealed, construction of the extra lanes is expected to create around 300 short-term jobs.

And funding bids claimed it could create between 3,000 and 4,000 jobs further down the line.

Plans for the scheme, dubbed Platform For Prosperity, will be put on display at three public exhibitions starting tomorrow.

Councillor Asa Thorpe, Cabinet member for transport, said: “The current system in this area is far from ideal and impedes the free flow of traffic through the bottom of town and to and from the port.

“Under the new proposals, Queens Park will be able to fulfil its original purpose as a park and will no longer serve as a large traffic island. The council is encouraging all interested residents and businesses to look at the proposals and feed back their views on the proposed changes.”

Under the plans, a new section of dual carriageway along the full length of Platform Road from Town Quay through to Canute Road is planned so the gyratory route around Queen’s Park can be downgraded for access to flats and businesses.

The eastern end of Queen’s Terrace will be closed, becoming a no-through route.

Southampton City Council, backed by the Solent Enterprise Partnership, won a £5.6m funding bid from the Government’s regional growth fund to pay for the bulk of the scheme.

Docks owners ABP have put up £1m and the council has earmarked £1.3m.

Doug Morrison, Solent LEP chairman and director of the ABP port director, said: “The port of Southampton is vital to the Solent and UK economy, providing a gateway to European and Global markets.

The car export business in particular has grown despite the global economic slowdown, and these improvements to Platform Road will assist greatly the car manufacturers in the UK.”

Consultation Dates

The following public consultation events are being held:

• Tuesday, May 29, 4pm to 8pm at God’s House Tower, Winkle Street, SO14 2NY.

• Wednesday, May 30, 4pm to 8pm at God’s House Tower, Winkle Street, SO14 2NY.

• Friday, June 1, 12pm to 6pm at Ocean Cruise Terminal, Eastern Docks, Southampton, SO14 3QN.

• You can download the council's leaflet explaining the proposals or view the map below for details of the scheme.

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree