A Southampton woman was today fighting for life in hospital after surviving a horrifying 60ft cliff fall that killed her husband.

Lorraine Scurr was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital for treatment to multiple serious injuries she suffered when she fell onto the concrete roof of a war-time bunker while on holiday in Jersey to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary.

Witnesses said they heard the 65-year-old desperately screaming for help as she clung to vegetation after her husband Peter had already plunged to his death when he lost his footing on a narrow cliff-top path.

Mrs Scurr was then seen to also fall when she lost her grip.

Emergency services were called to the scene and specialist firefighters helped lower Mrs Scurr, who witnesses said was still conscious, to a waiting ambulance.

She was taken to the island’s General Hospital in the capital, St Helier, where she was initially treated in intensive care.

Hospital bosses said she was in a “serious” condition before she was yesterday flown back to Hampshire.

Mr Scurr, 69, was pronounced dead at the scene after suffering major head injuries.

Jersey police are investigating the incident, but said last night they believe it was a “tragic accident”, and were preparing a report for the Deputy Viscount, the island’s coroner.

People living near the scene at Mont Les Vaux, close to St Aubin on the south coast of the Channel Island, said the steep path is not commonly used and was slippery following torrential rain.

It is thought the couple, of Vespasian Road, Bitterne Manor, were trying to make their way into the town from the path, which runs above the entrance to German war tunnels.

The couple’s nephew, James Scurr, who lives in Jersey, said he had spoken to Mrs Scurr while she was in hospital, and she had told him what happened.

He said: “They were a very loving husband and wife and were here to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary.

“They were here for a weekend to celebrate. They loved Jersey and had been here at least once a year every year for the past 40 years.

“They have been up and down the Railway Walk many times. This was a tragic accident.”

Mr Scurr said there were no signs to warn walkers they could not get to St Aubin along the path.

“I have been to the path today and I have seen the way they walked,’ he said. “There was no sign post, nothing. They thought there was a track to the left they could get down to St Aubin from the path.”

Holidaymakers staying near the scene described how a crowd of people rushed to help Mrs Scurr after hearing her pleas for help.

“We heard this lady screaming for help,” said the woman from Bristol, who asked not to be named.

“It was horrendous.

“We ran along the Railway Walk and there were a couple of people already there. I think she had fallen part of the way and then we heard her fall again onto the concrete flat roof of what looked like a garage.”

Police said Mr and Mrs Scurr were regular visitors to Jersey.

Last night distraught friends and neighbours were too distressed to talk about the couple, who could regularly be seen near their semi-detached home, overlooking a boatyard, walking guide dogs they were training.