Points not revenge motivate Adkins

First published in Sport

Reading’s visit to Saints last season proved to be a defining fixture in the battle for the Championship title.

Tomorrow’s meeting at St Mary’s promises to be another pivotal encounter, but in an altogether different fight.

Eight months on from their promotion showdown, Saints and Reading are now scrapping away towards the foot of the Premier League table, both currently stuck in the relegation zone.

The uncomfortable transition from a perennial winner to a regular loser is one that many a team has to endure on arrival in England’s elite division.

Those who overcome it, and ultimately establish themselves as a stable top-flight side, often do so on the back of success against similarly-placed clubs.

Victory for either Saints or Reading tomorrow will, therefore, represent a hefty blow in this year’s fight for survival.

Last season, it was the Royals who landed the major punch, with their 3-1 win at St Mary’s effectively propelling them to the Championship title.

Revenge, however, is not a motivating factor for Saints manager Nigel Adkins.

“We’ve moved on and we’ve got where we want to be,” he said. “Our focus is on this now.”

Adkins points out that failure to win this weekend would not constitute “the end of the world” for his team.

While that is clear, Saints are in no position to be dropping points at home against teams around them.

By the time Christmas Day rolls round, Adkins’ side will have played ten of their 19 fixtures at St Mary’s.

The remaining nine games on their own turf will include seven of the current top ten. Liverpool, in 11th, are one of the other two clubs due to visit.

Failure to produce an impressive return of points from tomorrow’s contest against Reading and the subsequent home match against Sunderland in two weeks would be cause for some significant alarm.

Conversely, six points would give Saints a solid base to build from.

“We’re at home, you look to pick your points up there,” said Adkins. “That is massively important, especially against teams in and around you in the division.

“It is a game we’re looking to get the three points from. It is not the end of the world if we don’t, but we are very positive in our thinking, our attitude.

“We’re looking focused to make sure we get the performance right, which gives us the opportunity to pick up the three points.”

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:43am Fri 7 Dec 12

RedArmy1 says...

IT'S ALL ABOUT WINNING.

No-one cares about reading and their plastic fans ....

warm welcome and a pre-Christmas Drink with the reading fans ... I DON'T THINK SO !!!

WE ARE THE MIGHTY SOUTHAMPTON.

WE WILL BE OUT IN NUMBERS AT THE PUBS (near the ground) AND WE FIGHT FOR ALL 3 POINTS.

RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRMY.
FIGHT AND WIN. COYR.
IT'S ALL ABOUT WINNING. No-one cares about reading and their plastic fans .... warm welcome and a pre-Christmas Drink with the reading fans ... I DON'T THINK SO !!! WE ARE THE MIGHTY SOUTHAMPTON. WE WILL BE OUT IN NUMBERS AT THE PUBS (near the ground) AND WE FIGHT FOR ALL 3 POINTS. RED ARRRRRRRRRRRRMY. FIGHT AND WIN. COYR. RedArmy1
  • Score: 0

9:50am Fri 7 Dec 12

scooter75 says...

Tangohead gives everyone a giggle with another comic statement...
Tangohead gives everyone a giggle with another comic statement... scooter75
  • Score: 0

10:23am Fri 7 Dec 12

SFCOLDBOY says...

The support has to be on full volume tommorow.
We have to to shout, cheer, sing our hearts out, not sit in the seats like embarassed dummies.
Some supporters have looked frightened that the neighbours might see them enjoying themselves on TV.

WE NEED EVERY ONE OF YOU!

Right, -- thats the crowd sorted!

Now SAINTS.

This can be the turning point in our season.

Excuses are not acceptable,
Quote----(we were a bit in awe of Liverpool)

------CR@P-----

Professional footballers.

This comment makes us a laughing stock!
What would the likes of Alan Ball,Terry Paine,Jimmy Case,to name but a few, think of that?

WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON PRIDE OF THE SOUTH (you know the rest)

The team that needs to turn up is the one that pulverised Newcastle with their best display since last November.

Nuf said!

Bring them on.

COYS.
The support has to be on full volume tommorow. We have to to shout, cheer, sing our hearts out, not sit in the seats like embarassed dummies. Some supporters have looked frightened that the neighbours might see them enjoying themselves on TV. WE NEED EVERY ONE OF YOU! Right, -- thats the crowd sorted! Now SAINTS. This can be the turning point in our season. Excuses are not acceptable, Quote----(we were a bit in awe of Liverpool) ------CR@P----- Professional footballers. This comment makes us a laughing stock! What would the likes of Alan Ball,Terry Paine,Jimmy Case,to name but a few, think of that? WE ARE SOUTHAMPTON PRIDE OF THE SOUTH (you know the rest) The team that needs to turn up is the one that pulverised Newcastle with their best display since last November. Nuf said! Bring them on. COYS. SFCOLDBOY
  • Score: 0

10:38am Fri 7 Dec 12

seventh-junction says...

Nonce Alert @ 9.50am
Nonce Alert @ 9.50am seventh-junction
  • Score: 0

10:41am Fri 7 Dec 12

damoose says...

seventh-junction says...
10:38am Fri 7 Dec 12

Nonce Alert @ 9.50am
----
Affirmative
seventh-junction says... 10:38am Fri 7 Dec 12 Nonce Alert @ 9.50am ---- Affirmative damoose
  • Score: 0

10:43am Fri 7 Dec 12

damoose says...

Ive not commented on the skates nor did i when we was down and they were running their chops,so i wont comment now,let us talk on the field of play
Ive not commented on the skates nor did i when we was down and they were running their chops,so i wont comment now,let us talk on the field of play damoose
  • Score: 0

10:43am Fri 7 Dec 12

InCortesewetrust says...

Revenge? Reading deserved to be champions, they achieved the most points, ended of, saints do need to get three points sat, no excuses adkins ie; if we had scored with that shot from rickie and the goalkeeper hadn't saved it, it would of been a goal, or its unfortunate that gazza made a boo boo because he is great in training, he is such a nice lad, he is sorry about it, if he had saved it we would of had three points, bla! bla! bla! , just do the job FFS!
Revenge? Reading deserved to be champions, they achieved the most points, ended of, saints do need to get three points sat, no excuses adkins ie; if we had scored with that shot from rickie and the goalkeeper hadn't saved it, it would of been a goal, or its unfortunate that gazza made a boo boo because he is great in training, he is such a nice lad, he is sorry about it, if he had saved it we would of had three points, bla! bla! bla! , just do the job FFS! InCortesewetrust
  • Score: 0

10:53am Fri 7 Dec 12

OSPREYSAINT says...

scooter75 wrote:
Tangohead gives everyone a giggle with another comic statement...
As opposed to your pathetic attempts which make everybody cringe.
[quote][p][bold]scooter75[/bold] wrote: Tangohead gives everyone a giggle with another comic statement...[/p][/quote]As opposed to your pathetic attempts which make everybody cringe. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

10:58am Fri 7 Dec 12

Sammy2sheds says...

Ffs...just win...ffs
That nonce alert is good stuff.
He is a nonce ffs
Ffs...just win...ffs That nonce alert is good stuff. He is a nonce ffs Sammy2sheds
  • Score: 0

10:58am Fri 7 Dec 12

OSPREYSAINT says...

It's just another game, the rest of the Season starts tomorrow, let's hope we get off to a good start and do the job properly. Rambo should be able to manage an hour at least, hopefully by then it will be cut and dried. COYRs
It's just another game, the rest of the Season starts tomorrow, let's hope we get off to a good start and do the job properly. Rambo should be able to manage an hour at least, hopefully by then it will be cut and dried. COYRs OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

12:39pm Fri 7 Dec 12

One Heart....One Vision says...

Every game is a pivotal encounter.

Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy.

Come On You Reds !!!!
Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!! One Heart....One Vision
  • Score: 0

1:08pm Fri 7 Dec 12

St Badger says...

One Heart....One Vision wrote:
Every game is a pivotal encounter.

Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy.

Come On You Reds !!!!
seconded
is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well.

just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches
[quote][p][bold]One Heart....One Vision[/bold] wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!![/p][/quote]seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches St Badger
  • Score: 0

1:18pm Fri 7 Dec 12

Saints n Winners says...

St Badger wrote:
One Heart....One Vision wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!!
seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches
Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop!
[quote][p][bold]St Badger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]One Heart....One Vision[/bold] wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!![/p][/quote]seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches[/p][/quote]Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop! Saints n Winners
  • Score: 0

1:59pm Fri 7 Dec 12

Beer Monster says...

Saints n Winners wrote:
St Badger wrote:
One Heart....One Vision wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!!
seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches
Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop!
Fourthed.

The slide in rational posting coincided with Saints being successful and Pompey going down the pan...

COYR
[quote][p][bold]Saints n Winners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]St Badger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]One Heart....One Vision[/bold] wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!![/p][/quote]seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches[/p][/quote]Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop![/p][/quote]Fourthed. The slide in rational posting coincided with Saints being successful and Pompey going down the pan... COYR Beer Monster
  • Score: 0

2:18pm Fri 7 Dec 12

St Badger says...

Beer Monster wrote:
Saints n Winners wrote:
St Badger wrote:
One Heart....One Vision wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!!
seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches
Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop!
Fourthed.

The slide in rational posting coincided with Saints being successful and Pompey going down the pan...

COYR
very true but as these threads prove stupidity is not exclusive to pompey fans
[quote][p][bold]Beer Monster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Saints n Winners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]St Badger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]One Heart....One Vision[/bold] wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!![/p][/quote]seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches[/p][/quote]Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop![/p][/quote]Fourthed. The slide in rational posting coincided with Saints being successful and Pompey going down the pan... COYR[/p][/quote]very true but as these threads prove stupidity is not exclusive to pompey fans St Badger
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Fri 7 Dec 12

Saints n Winners says...

St Badger wrote:
Beer Monster wrote:
Saints n Winners wrote:
St Badger wrote:
One Heart....One Vision wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!!
seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches
Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop!
Fourthed. The slide in rational posting coincided with Saints being successful and Pompey going down the pan... COYR
very true but as these threads prove stupidity is not exclusive to pompey fans
sixthed!! Is that a word? The best strategy is perhaps to jump on the least used thread of the day, after the slagfest has been set in motion.
[quote][p][bold]St Badger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beer Monster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Saints n Winners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]St Badger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]One Heart....One Vision[/bold] wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!![/p][/quote]seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches[/p][/quote]Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop![/p][/quote]Fourthed. The slide in rational posting coincided with Saints being successful and Pompey going down the pan... COYR[/p][/quote]very true but as these threads prove stupidity is not exclusive to pompey fans[/p][/quote]sixthed!! Is that a word? The best strategy is perhaps to jump on the least used thread of the day, after the slagfest has been set in motion. Saints n Winners
  • Score: 0

2:29pm Fri 7 Dec 12

SO50 Saint says...

A win tomorrow puts us 6 points above Reading and that's massive in my opinion at any stage of the season. Could do with a draw in the Wigan QPR game keep Arry's lot as far away as possible to stop everyone jumping on the Arry bandwagon. Not sure who Sunderland or Villa have this weekend but lets hope its defeats for both. Personally I think it is turning into a 6 team mini league at the bottom and if we can come top 2nd or 3rd of that I will be very happy
A win tomorrow puts us 6 points above Reading and that's massive in my opinion at any stage of the season. Could do with a draw in the Wigan QPR game keep Arry's lot as far away as possible to stop everyone jumping on the Arry bandwagon. Not sure who Sunderland or Villa have this weekend but lets hope its defeats for both. Personally I think it is turning into a 6 team mini league at the bottom and if we can come top 2nd or 3rd of that I will be very happy SO50 Saint
  • Score: 0

2:45pm Fri 7 Dec 12

CB FRY LIVES says...

Lets go for the jugular and beat the royals in style.not only getting the 3 points but drastically improving our goal difference in a positive way and theirs in a negative manner.4-0 to THE SUPER SAINTS will be a nice little earner.
COYR
Lets go for the jugular and beat the royals in style.not only getting the 3 points but drastically improving our goal difference in a positive way and theirs in a negative manner.4-0 to THE SUPER SAINTS will be a nice little earner. COYR CB FRY LIVES
  • Score: 0

3:27pm Fri 7 Dec 12

Rising_Son says...

Saints n Winners wrote:
St Badger wrote:
Beer Monster wrote:
Saints n Winners wrote:
St Badger wrote:
One Heart....One Vision wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!!
seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches
Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop!
Fourthed. The slide in rational posting coincided with Saints being successful and Pompey going down the pan... COYR
very true but as these threads prove stupidity is not exclusive to pompey fans
sixthed!! Is that a word? The best strategy is perhaps to jump on the least used thread of the day, after the slagfest has been set in motion.
So what happened to the football discussion you lot seemed to be creating for?
[quote][p][bold]Saints n Winners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]St Badger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beer Monster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Saints n Winners[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]St Badger[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]One Heart....One Vision[/bold] wrote: Every game is a pivotal encounter. Let's fill St Mary's and cheer out heroes onto Victory against the enemy. Come On You Reds !!!![/p][/quote]seconded is talking about football allowed on these forums or do I have to insult someone as well. just asking as it seems most threads colapse into slanging matches[/p][/quote]Thirded Badger. These threads use to be OK. Now you have to trawl through pages of slagging to get to the football chat. When did it all start to belly flop![/p][/quote]Fourthed. The slide in rational posting coincided with Saints being successful and Pompey going down the pan... COYR[/p][/quote]very true but as these threads prove stupidity is not exclusive to pompey fans[/p][/quote]sixthed!! Is that a word? The best strategy is perhaps to jump on the least used thread of the day, after the slagfest has been set in motion.[/p][/quote]So what happened to the football discussion you lot seemed to be creating for? Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

3:30pm Fri 7 Dec 12

Rising_Son says...

Creating -> craving
Creating -> craving Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Fri 7 Dec 12

St Badger says...

CB FRY LIVES wrote:
Lets go for the jugular and beat the royals in style.not only getting the 3 points but drastically improving our goal difference in a positive way and theirs in a negative manner.4-0 to THE SUPER SAINTS will be a nice little earner.
COYR
I'm going for 3-1.
need to win anyway we can especially as we aren't playing next week.
They look quite a big and physical side so I hope we dont give them to many corners or free kicks near our box.
What do you think rising son or dont you do football?
[quote][p][bold]CB FRY LIVES[/bold] wrote: Lets go for the jugular and beat the royals in style.not only getting the 3 points but drastically improving our goal difference in a positive way and theirs in a negative manner.4-0 to THE SUPER SAINTS will be a nice little earner. COYR[/p][/quote]I'm going for 3-1. need to win anyway we can especially as we aren't playing next week. They look quite a big and physical side so I hope we dont give them to many corners or free kicks near our box. What do you think rising son or dont you do football? St Badger
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Fri 7 Dec 12

Dundas20012002@yahoo.co.uk says...

Now is not the time to stumble, now is the time to knock the crown from the "Royals" head. This is a never say die six point game. Dropping any points in this fixture would be a disaster. Good luck with your fitness Gaston
Now is not the time to stumble, now is the time to knock the crown from the "Royals" head. This is a never say die six point game. Dropping any points in this fixture would be a disaster. Good luck with your fitness Gaston Dundas20012002@yahoo.co.uk
  • Score: 0

6:23pm Fri 7 Dec 12

warrens 76 says...

Girdle my thighs and call me Rita...we better win.
Girdle my thighs and call me Rita...we better win. warrens 76
  • Score: 0

7:48pm Fri 7 Dec 12

7saint7 says...

It's a must win game . And one we realy should win .
coyr
It's a must win game . And one we realy should win . coyr 7saint7
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree