When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Saints fans still backing Nigel Adkins
8:26am Friday 11th January 2013 in Sport
Nigel Adkins has again received the support of the Saints fans despite fresh reports suggesting the club are reviewing his position.
Roberto Di Matteo, who has been regularly linked with the manager’s post following his departure from Chelsea earlier this season, is said to be one of two names being lined up for the job by St Mary’s chairman Nicola Cortese, should Adkins be sacked.
The other is former Spurs manager Christian Gross, who is currently out of work after being sacked by Swiss side Young Boys in April last year.
Adkins came within a whisker of the sack in early November, following a 2-0 loss to West Brom that left Saints rooted to the bottom of the table.
But he has since overseen an impressive upturn in form, leading the club out of the relegation zone ahead of tomorrow’s crunch visit to fellow strugglers Aston Villa.
Throughout the season, he has retained the backing of the overwhelming majority of Saints supporters, with chants of “There’s only one Nigel Adkins” regularly belted out home and away.
Nick Illingsworth, who runs fans’ website theuglyinside.net, reaffirmed that support in light of the latest rumours.
He said: “I haven’t found many Saints fans who would want to see Nigel sacked.
“All the supporters are grateful for the work he has done over the last few years and, given that, he deserves his chance.
“Having dragged us out of the bottom three after a baptism of fire at the start of the season, he’s shown he has got the nous to steer us clear of relegation if we can make some crucial signings.”
- Dodd's Saints have the top level experience ahead of FA Youth Cup derby with Pompey
- Who are the next Saints academy starlets to keep a close watch on?
- Saints and Pompey, the two Hampshire rivals with vastly different youth programme success rates
- Poch hails Osvaldo's growing maturity
- Teenage kicks: Saints set new Premier League record
- Osvaldo starting to show his true worth - Lovren
- Lovren: City draw showed the strength in depth of the Saints squad
Comments are closed on this article.