A minute's applause at Saints v Manchester City in honour of Nelson Mandela

Daily Echo: Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela

A minute's applause will take place at all football matches in the Premier League, Football League and FA Cup this weekend to mark the passing of Nelson Mandela.

The International Olympic Committee has announced it will lower the Olympic flag for three days in memory of Mandela, South Africa's first black president who has died aged 95.

And FIFA said there would be a minute's silence as a mark of respect ahead of the next round of international football matches.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:47pm Fri 6 Dec 13

saint in dordogne says...

RIP
RIP saint in dordogne

6:23pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Brusher Mills says...

Don't agree with this, politics should stay out of football.
Don't agree with this, politics should stay out of football. Brusher Mills

9:46pm Fri 6 Dec 13

Santa Retfordia says...

Brusher Mills wrote:
Don't agree with this, politics should stay out of football.
Oh come on! Mandela surely transcends politics. Unless you're a massive racist you have to recognise a great spirit has left the world and his life should be celebrated.
[quote][p][bold]Brusher Mills[/bold] wrote: Don't agree with this, politics should stay out of football.[/p][/quote]Oh come on! Mandela surely transcends politics. Unless you're a massive racist you have to recognise a great spirit has left the world and his life should be celebrated. Santa Retfordia

11:19pm Fri 6 Dec 13

derek james says...

Santa Retfordia wrote:
Brusher Mills wrote:
Don't agree with this, politics should stay out of football.
Oh come on! Mandela surely transcends politics. Unless you're a massive racist you have to recognise a great spirit has left the world and his life should be celebrated.
you,re a massive moron redford, racism doesn't come into it, just because everyone doesn't agree with wall to wall coverage (bbc) and tributes doesn't make them racists
[quote][p][bold]Santa Retfordia[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brusher Mills[/bold] wrote: Don't agree with this, politics should stay out of football.[/p][/quote]Oh come on! Mandela surely transcends politics. Unless you're a massive racist you have to recognise a great spirit has left the world and his life should be celebrated.[/p][/quote]you,re a massive moron redford, racism doesn't come into it, just because everyone doesn't agree with wall to wall coverage (bbc) and tributes doesn't make them racists derek james

12:58am Sat 7 Dec 13

Santa Retfordia says...

derek james wrote:
Santa Retfordia wrote:
Brusher Mills wrote: Don't agree with this, politics should stay out of football.
Oh come on! Mandela surely transcends politics. Unless you're a massive racist you have to recognise a great spirit has left the world and his life should be celebrated.
you,re a massive moron redford, racism doesn't come into it, just because everyone doesn't agree with wall to wall coverage (bbc) and tributes doesn't make them racists
OK, well you fill your boots and spend the minute shouting "This tribute is inappropriate in this context" and that way everyone's happy. Mandela would have respected your right to protest.
[quote][p][bold]derek james[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Santa Retfordia[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brusher Mills[/bold] wrote: Don't agree with this, politics should stay out of football.[/p][/quote]Oh come on! Mandela surely transcends politics. Unless you're a massive racist you have to recognise a great spirit has left the world and his life should be celebrated.[/p][/quote]you,re a massive moron redford, racism doesn't come into it, just because everyone doesn't agree with wall to wall coverage (bbc) and tributes doesn't make them racists[/p][/quote]OK, well you fill your boots and spend the minute shouting "This tribute is inappropriate in this context" and that way everyone's happy. Mandela would have respected your right to protest. Santa Retfordia

4:30am Sat 7 Dec 13

Brusher Mills says...

I want to goto football for football, yes Mandela may gave done things to better the world etc. but his death is everywhere and I personally don't care, it was sad when it was announced as it is when anyone dies.
I want to goto football for football, yes Mandela may gave done things to better the world etc. but his death is everywhere and I personally don't care, it was sad when it was announced as it is when anyone dies. Brusher Mills

11:37am Sat 7 Dec 13

Rising_Son says...

Brusher Mills wrote:
I want to goto football for football, yes Mandela may gave done things to better the world etc. but his death is everywhere and I personally don't care, it was sad when it was announced as it is when anyone dies.
It's hard to understand why someone who doesn't care is so bothered by it.
[quote][p][bold]Brusher Mills[/bold] wrote: I want to goto football for football, yes Mandela may gave done things to better the world etc. but his death is everywhere and I personally don't care, it was sad when it was announced as it is when anyone dies.[/p][/quote]It's hard to understand why someone who doesn't care is so bothered by it. Rising_Son

2:04pm Sun 8 Dec 13

Dan Soton says...

South Africa should be renamed Madiba..


Take three world leaders ( that love sport) Obama, Blair and (R.I.P) Mandela all of whom went to university to study law, they are/were all idealist and in many ways ruthless, you could say they were all taped out of the same mold..

But only one will remain a people's hero forever and that man is (R.I.P) Nelson Mandela..


,,
South Africa should be renamed Madiba.. Take three world leaders ( that love sport) Obama, Blair and (R.I.P) Mandela all of whom went to university to study law, they are/were all idealist and in many ways ruthless, you could say they were all taped out of the same mold.. But only one will remain a people's hero forever and that man is (R.I.P) Nelson Mandela.. ,, Dan Soton

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree