Saints' youth policy puts Toon to shame

Daily Echo: Sam Gallagher Sam Gallagher

SAINTS have won widespread praise from all quarters this season for their desire to promote young English talent this season.

Tomorrow they come up against a club who have been the polar opposite to them.

Ex-Saint Alan Pardew this week celebrates three years in charge of Newcastle United.

In that time he has become the Premier League’s second longest serving manager, behind Arsene Wenger.

On taking over, Pardew said: “I intend to focus on developing exciting young players through the club’s excellent Academy and development squad.”

Though we cannot doubt his words, his actions have spoken louder than his stated ambition of promoting young home-grown talent.

Amazingly, Pardew has only fielded three English-born players in league or cup action this season – and all three are in their thirties.

Can that be of any help to Roy Hodgson and the national team? Of course not.

One of those three is former Saints academy defender Mike Williamson, the only Englishman who started last weekend’s historic win at Old Trafford.

Another is ex-Everton defender Dan Gosling, who is now on loan at Blackpool after managing just two League Cup outings for the Toon in 2013/14.

The third is defender Steven Taylor, who has not appeared since the opening day of the season, when he was sent off in a 4-0 loss at Manchester City.

Pardew has handed young Welsh full back Paul Dummett three Premier League appearances, but by and large has placed his faith in overseas talent.

Mainly Frenchmen.

Remarkably, Pardew has 12 French players in his first team squad while a 13th – Mehdi Abeid – is on loan at Panathinaikos.

Six of the French contingent – Lioc Remy, Davide Santon, Moussa Sissoko, Yoan Gouffran, Yohan Cabeye and Mathieu Debuchy – started at Old Trafford.

Pardew also fielded two Dutchmen, keeper Tim Kruhl and Vernon Anita, one Argentinian (Fabricio Coloccini) and an Ivorian (Cheick Tiote).

Two of his three used subs were also French – Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Hatem Ben Arfa.

The other was Nigerian-born 32-year-old striker Shola Ameobi.

In contrast, Mauricio Pochettino started with six Englishmen against Manchester City last weekend – Calum Chambers, Luke Shaw, Jay Rodriguez, Jack Cork, Adam Lallana and James Ward-Prowse.

Two more – Rickie Lambert and Harrison Reed – came off the bench.

Clubs are free to pick and choose who they want, but hopefully more will want to copy Saints’ template than Newcastle’s.

Comments (28)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:30am Fri 13 Dec 13

Buddy SFC says...

Je vous demande pardon?
Je vous demande pardon? Buddy SFC

8:38am Fri 13 Dec 13

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

Let's smash the cheese eating surrender monkeys!
Let's smash the cheese eating surrender monkeys! Seedhouse the Unrepentant

8:39am Fri 13 Dec 13

terrence77 says...

Simon Carter you failed Davide Santon is Italian !
Simon Carter you failed Davide Santon is Italian ! terrence77

8:48am Fri 13 Dec 13

bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr says...

Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go.
I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.
Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go. I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season. bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr

10:03am Fri 13 Dec 13

Strasbourg Saint says...

bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr wrote:
Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go.
I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.
I have to agree. The Daily Echo journos are a mixed bag who, to help sales or get us logging on, have a natural tendency to go with controversial copy. I think we can all understand that thinking. There's nothing worse than tepid stories that don't make us think. So, we should give Simon Carter (who has written some interesting articles, to be fair) a bit of slack here.

However, we're very quick to moan when, as Saints fans, we read things in our own Echo or the national press which comes across as negative towards us and I see no need to run a story knocking an opponent (even with the Pardew link). I remember some years ago the Liverpool Echo having a go at us and Saints fans were most indignant.

Yes, we can be proud of our academy but that's a far cry from you needing to be ashamed of yours or needing to feel somewhat apologetic because you have built a successful team from across the Channel.

For the record, I was at St James's last season, sat amongst the Toon. (We had sold out in the away bit.) I'd love revenge for that 4-2 lose, not least because I think we got some bad calls on the back of the incessant Toon barracking of the ref. However, mixing with your fans before and after the match was good spirited. I think most footy fans would love to see Newcastle finally win something - anything - in our lifetimes. So, good luck in the future, but not tomorrow, of course.
[quote][p][bold]bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr[/bold] wrote: Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go. I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.[/p][/quote]I have to agree. The Daily Echo journos are a mixed bag who, to help sales or get us logging on, have a natural tendency to go with controversial copy. I think we can all understand that thinking. There's nothing worse than tepid stories that don't make us think. So, we should give Simon Carter (who has written some interesting articles, to be fair) a bit of slack here. However, we're very quick to moan when, as Saints fans, we read things in our own Echo or the national press which comes across as negative towards us and I see no need to run a story knocking an opponent (even with the Pardew link). I remember some years ago the Liverpool Echo having a go at us and Saints fans were most indignant. Yes, we can be proud of our academy but that's a far cry from you needing to be ashamed of yours or needing to feel somewhat apologetic because you have built a successful team from across the Channel. For the record, I was at St James's last season, sat amongst the Toon. (We had sold out in the away bit.) I'd love revenge for that 4-2 lose, not least because I think we got some bad calls on the back of the incessant Toon barracking of the ref. However, mixing with your fans before and after the match was good spirited. I think most footy fans would love to see Newcastle finally win something - anything - in our lifetimes. So, good luck in the future, but not tomorrow, of course. Strasbourg Saint

10:30am Fri 13 Dec 13

terrence77 says...

@Strasbourg Saint

Pardew was right to buy player from across the channel as they adapt really quickly and they are cheaper. Now these days in the EPL only team who got just promoted are mainly built with English player but we all know the outcome after a year in the EPL they get relegated e.g Reading last year, That's why you need a mix with foreign and British players. Anyone saw last night an article on Luke Shaw going to Chelsea apparently for 30 million now that is rag from the daily mail. I'm wondering how Saint defence will deal with Loic Remy the guy is on fire at the moment 8 goals for 10 app.
@Strasbourg Saint Pardew was right to buy player from across the channel as they adapt really quickly and they are cheaper. Now these days in the EPL only team who got just promoted are mainly built with English player but we all know the outcome after a year in the EPL they get relegated e.g Reading last year, That's why you need a mix with foreign and British players. Anyone saw last night an article on Luke Shaw going to Chelsea apparently for 30 million now that is rag from the daily mail. I'm wondering how Saint defence will deal with Loic Remy the guy is on fire at the moment 8 goals for 10 app. terrence77

10:33am Fri 13 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr wrote:
Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go.
I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.
So "when" England fail in the World cup your team and fans cannot have a moan as you put nothing into the England set up, like quite a few teams, the bigger picture is when a young Geordie who supports Newcastle all his life has to leave his home town and come all the way down here because he know's there is no point joining your academy because he will never get to play in the first team.
Don't get me wrong like most fans of football I like to watch you play as you play the game right, but like most Saints fans realise we are the one of a few that are doing anything for the future of English football and you are not one of them.
[quote][p][bold]bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr[/bold] wrote: Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go. I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.[/p][/quote]So "when" England fail in the World cup your team and fans cannot have a moan as you put nothing into the England set up, like quite a few teams, the bigger picture is when a young Geordie who supports Newcastle all his life has to leave his home town and come all the way down here because he know's there is no point joining your academy because he will never get to play in the first team. Don't get me wrong like most fans of football I like to watch you play as you play the game right, but like most Saints fans realise we are the one of a few that are doing anything for the future of English football and you are not one of them. Folkestone Saint

10:36am Fri 13 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

terrence77 wrote:
@Strasbourg Saint

Pardew was right to buy player from across the channel as they adapt really quickly and they are cheaper. Now these days in the EPL only team who got just promoted are mainly built with English player but we all know the outcome after a year in the EPL they get relegated e.g Reading last year, That's why you need a mix with foreign and British players. Anyone saw last night an article on Luke Shaw going to Chelsea apparently for 30 million now that is rag from the daily mail. I'm wondering how Saint defence will deal with Loic Remy the guy is on fire at the moment 8 goals for 10 app.
The only time there is a mix of England and forgien players is when the Saints come into town, we bring the English players the oppo bring the legion
[quote][p][bold]terrence77[/bold] wrote: @Strasbourg Saint Pardew was right to buy player from across the channel as they adapt really quickly and they are cheaper. Now these days in the EPL only team who got just promoted are mainly built with English player but we all know the outcome after a year in the EPL they get relegated e.g Reading last year, That's why you need a mix with foreign and British players. Anyone saw last night an article on Luke Shaw going to Chelsea apparently for 30 million now that is rag from the daily mail. I'm wondering how Saint defence will deal with Loic Remy the guy is on fire at the moment 8 goals for 10 app.[/p][/quote]The only time there is a mix of England and forgien players is when the Saints come into town, we bring the English players the oppo bring the legion Folkestone Saint

10:42am Fri 13 Dec 13

JohnItaly says...

Saints have rightly been praised for their excellent youth policy and the press & pundits have argued that is the way forward for the future of English football. I have a suggestion to bring "the future" into the here and now. For each English player who plays the club concerned gains an extra point! Just thought!!
Saints have rightly been praised for their excellent youth policy and the press & pundits have argued that is the way forward for the future of English football. I have a suggestion to bring "the future" into the here and now. For each English player who plays the club concerned gains an extra point! Just thought!! JohnItaly

10:51am Fri 13 Dec 13

terrence77 says...

@Folkestone Saint

If you want your team to play European football then you have to buy Foreign player with skills E.g Swansea Europa League, Wigan athletic failed with English player to qualify to the next round, I think if you ask any fan they will put their club first instead of country because the media hype up the team knowing that they are bad and the FA failed the national team for years and keep selling dream to deluded fan !
@Folkestone Saint If you want your team to play European football then you have to buy Foreign player with skills E.g Swansea Europa League, Wigan athletic failed with English player to qualify to the next round, I think if you ask any fan they will put their club first instead of country because the media hype up the team knowing that they are bad and the FA failed the national team for years and keep selling dream to deluded fan ! terrence77

11:28am Fri 13 Dec 13

Chriops says...

terrence77 wrote:
@Folkestone Saint

If you want your team to play European football then you have to buy Foreign player with skills E.g Swansea Europa League, Wigan athletic failed with English player to qualify to the next round, I think if you ask any fan they will put their club first instead of country because the media hype up the team knowing that they are bad and the FA failed the national team for years and keep selling dream to deluded fan !
Ahh, that must have been why Man U were so poor in Europe with their class of 92. lol. Please don't say it can't be done, because it has been. That's just your way of trying to justify fielding a predominantly french side.

Some people have said that playing with so many young players is suicide, but Saints seem to be coping quite well, thank you.

At the end of the day - Newcastle will continue to buy cheap European imports, and we'll continue to produce good quality English youngsters.
[quote][p][bold]terrence77[/bold] wrote: @Folkestone Saint If you want your team to play European football then you have to buy Foreign player with skills E.g Swansea Europa League, Wigan athletic failed with English player to qualify to the next round, I think if you ask any fan they will put their club first instead of country because the media hype up the team knowing that they are bad and the FA failed the national team for years and keep selling dream to deluded fan ![/p][/quote]Ahh, that must have been why Man U were so poor in Europe with their class of 92. lol. Please don't say it can't be done, because it has been. That's just your way of trying to justify fielding a predominantly french side. Some people have said that playing with so many young players is suicide, but Saints seem to be coping quite well, thank you. At the end of the day - Newcastle will continue to buy cheap European imports, and we'll continue to produce good quality English youngsters. Chriops

11:33am Fri 13 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

terrence77 wrote:
@Folkestone Saint

If you want your team to play European football then you have to buy Foreign player with skills E.g Swansea Europa League, Wigan athletic failed with English player to qualify to the next round, I think if you ask any fan they will put their club first instead of country because the media hype up the team knowing that they are bad and the FA failed the national team for years and keep selling dream to deluded fan !
We have, has your team. The point is too many teams do nothing for the betterment of OUR national team,and then the fans moan that we don't do well at international level.
p.s. Napoli failed too, but they don't play football, why oh why any football fan would turn up to watch that load of dross is beyond me.
[quote][p][bold]terrence77[/bold] wrote: @Folkestone Saint If you want your team to play European football then you have to buy Foreign player with skills E.g Swansea Europa League, Wigan athletic failed with English player to qualify to the next round, I think if you ask any fan they will put their club first instead of country because the media hype up the team knowing that they are bad and the FA failed the national team for years and keep selling dream to deluded fan ![/p][/quote]We have, has your team. The point is too many teams do nothing for the betterment of OUR national team,and then the fans moan that we don't do well at international level. p.s. Napoli failed too, but they don't play football, why oh why any football fan would turn up to watch that load of dross is beyond me. Folkestone Saint

11:39am Fri 13 Dec 13

terrence77 says...

@Chriops

Irrelevant comment ! Football from the 90s and now is totally different. Back in the 90s you could see team with 9 players from the same country and 2 Brazilian players for example It was the time when players were loyal and have love for the shirt. Those days are over now fan wants to have instant success ! That's why now team will buy proven foreign players with experience
@Chriops Irrelevant comment ! Football from the 90s and now is totally different. Back in the 90s you could see team with 9 players from the same country and 2 Brazilian players for example It was the time when players were loyal and have love for the shirt. Those days are over now fan wants to have instant success ! That's why now team will buy proven foreign players with experience terrence77

12:05pm Fri 13 Dec 13

terrence77 says...

@Folkestone Saint

The FA is to blame for this I'm afraid ! the youth set up in England is dreadful ! England are years behind in youth set up compare to Holland, France, Germany, Spain.Yes Saint are doing there bit for the national squad but its to late when you see that St George Park was open last year to develop young talent it's just laughable. Hey England is home of football after all so why waiting 47 years to open a national academy
@Folkestone Saint The FA is to blame for this I'm afraid ! the youth set up in England is dreadful ! England are years behind in youth set up compare to Holland, France, Germany, Spain.Yes Saint are doing there bit for the national squad but its to late when you see that St George Park was open last year to develop young talent it's just laughable. Hey England is home of football after all so why waiting 47 years to open a national academy terrence77

12:22pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

terrence77 wrote:
@Folkestone Saint

The FA is to blame for this I'm afraid ! the youth set up in England is dreadful ! England are years behind in youth set up compare to Holland, France, Germany, Spain.Yes Saint are doing there bit for the national squad but its to late when you see that St George Park was open last year to develop young talent it's just laughable. Hey England is home of football after all so why waiting 47 years to open a national academy
The FA has some responsibility, but so do the clubs and fans, Saints must have the best fans in English football, to go through what we have in recent years and still be patient enough to watch our team and club be rebuilt from the ground up and still turn up in our 20,000 + in div1 speaks volumes, whilst others fans ask for the managers head if they don't win for more than two games (Arsenal citeh chelski and now man u are prime examples). BTW I do admire what Mr Knight has acheived at your club, he must be seen as a Saint
[quote][p][bold]terrence77[/bold] wrote: @Folkestone Saint The FA is to blame for this I'm afraid ! the youth set up in England is dreadful ! England are years behind in youth set up compare to Holland, France, Germany, Spain.Yes Saint are doing there bit for the national squad but its to late when you see that St George Park was open last year to develop young talent it's just laughable. Hey England is home of football after all so why waiting 47 years to open a national academy[/p][/quote]The FA has some responsibility, but so do the clubs and fans, Saints must have the best fans in English football, to go through what we have in recent years and still be patient enough to watch our team and club be rebuilt from the ground up and still turn up in our 20,000 + in div1 speaks volumes, whilst others fans ask for the managers head if they don't win for more than two games (Arsenal citeh chelski and now man u are prime examples). BTW I do admire what Mr Knight has acheived at your club, he must be seen as a Saint Folkestone Saint

2:19pm Fri 13 Dec 13

CC9033 says...

Abysmally researched article:

We have started Bigirimana and Sammy Ameobi (both england youth internationals) in cup ties this season. Dan Gosling is 23, Steven Taylor is 27. Dummett and Elliott despite pledging their futures to Wales and Ireland respectively are English born.

James Tavernier and Adam Campbell played in numerous matches last season in europe and the league. We have 17 players who have represented England at various levels currently on our books including Armstrong, Streete and Woodman who are almost certainly England internationals of the future.

Lets not mention all that shall we because it would weaken your argument, You keep on producing good players, Arsenal and Chelsea will thank you when their strutting their stuff in their colours in the not distant future...
Abysmally researched article: We have started Bigirimana and Sammy Ameobi (both england youth internationals) in cup ties this season. Dan Gosling is 23, Steven Taylor is 27. Dummett and Elliott despite pledging their futures to Wales and Ireland respectively are English born. James Tavernier and Adam Campbell played in numerous matches last season in europe and the league. We have 17 players who have represented England at various levels currently on our books including Armstrong, Streete and Woodman who are almost certainly England internationals of the future. Lets not mention all that shall we because it would weaken your argument, You keep on producing good players, Arsenal and Chelsea will thank you when their strutting their stuff in their colours in the not distant future... CC9033

2:35pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Conrad.R says...

Wow, what an awful article!

I am a big fan of Southampton's youth setup, and they can be very proud of some of the players they have developed. But Newcastle have also assembled a very good squad through an excellent scouting system that has brought in quality international players for amazing value. Both clubs have done well in their own way. And for what it is worth, Newcastle has produced the record English transfer through their academy.

The point about "helping Roy Hodgson" is also not a good one either seeing as him or his predecessor Capello, never even bother to travel up north to St James' Park. Two seasons ago we had the best defence in the league at one point which was made up of three english defenders, and the England manager not once watched us play.

This "article" is also riddled with mistakes:

- Gosling, Taylor, Sammy Ameobi, Williamson, Dummett, Elliot, are all English born and have played for us this season. So that is 6 players, now 3 like written in the article.

- The article also states that Gosling and Taylor are in their 30s, well Gosling is 23 and Taylor is 27.

- Santon is not French, he is Italian.

- Abeid is also not French, he is Algerian.

- It is Krul, not "Kruhl".

- It is Vurnon Anita, not "Vernon Anita".

-It is Cabaye, not "Cabeye".

- And it is Loic Remy, not "Lioc Remy".


I hope Simon Carter is embarrassed by this article. By looking at it your would of thought it was written by Joe Kinnear.
Wow, what an awful article! I am a big fan of Southampton's youth setup, and they can be very proud of some of the players they have developed. But Newcastle have also assembled a very good squad through an excellent scouting system that has brought in quality international players for amazing value. Both clubs have done well in their own way. And for what it is worth, Newcastle has produced the record English transfer through their academy. The point about "helping Roy Hodgson" is also not a good one either seeing as him or his predecessor Capello, never even bother to travel up north to St James' Park. Two seasons ago we had the best defence in the league at one point which was made up of three english defenders, and the England manager not once watched us play. This "article" is also riddled with mistakes: - Gosling, Taylor, Sammy Ameobi, Williamson, Dummett, Elliot, are all English born and have played for us this season. So that is 6 players, now 3 like written in the article. - The article also states that Gosling and Taylor are in their 30s, well Gosling is 23 and Taylor is 27. - Santon is not French, he is Italian. - Abeid is also not French, he is Algerian. - It is Krul, not "Kruhl". - It is Vurnon Anita, not "Vernon Anita". -It is Cabaye, not "Cabeye". - And it is Loic Remy, not "Lioc Remy". I hope Simon Carter is embarrassed by this article. By looking at it your would of thought it was written by Joe Kinnear. Conrad.R

2:45pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

CC9033 wrote:
Abysmally researched article:

We have started Bigirimana and Sammy Ameobi (both england youth internationals) in cup ties this season. Dan Gosling is 23, Steven Taylor is 27. Dummett and Elliott despite pledging their futures to Wales and Ireland respectively are English born.

James Tavernier and Adam Campbell played in numerous matches last season in europe and the league. We have 17 players who have represented England at various levels currently on our books including Armstrong, Streete and Woodman who are almost certainly England internationals of the future.

Lets not mention all that shall we because it would weaken your argument, You keep on producing good players, Arsenal and Chelsea will thank you when their strutting their stuff in their colours in the not distant future...
Lets not mention all that shall we because it would weaken your argument, You keep on producing good players, Arsenal and Chelsea will thank you when their strutting their stuff in their colours in the not distant future...
If you check the article you may well find it was not written by Southampton fc but by a local newspaper so wind your neck in, however lets ignor that the article talks about this season not last too. Arsenal and Chelski did try to sign our players, do you know why they didn't? it's because we are not a selling club we are building for OUR future not theirs
[quote][p][bold]CC9033[/bold] wrote: Abysmally researched article: We have started Bigirimana and Sammy Ameobi (both england youth internationals) in cup ties this season. Dan Gosling is 23, Steven Taylor is 27. Dummett and Elliott despite pledging their futures to Wales and Ireland respectively are English born. James Tavernier and Adam Campbell played in numerous matches last season in europe and the league. We have 17 players who have represented England at various levels currently on our books including Armstrong, Streete and Woodman who are almost certainly England internationals of the future. Lets not mention all that shall we because it would weaken your argument, You keep on producing good players, Arsenal and Chelsea will thank you when their strutting their stuff in their colours in the not distant future...[/p][/quote]Lets not mention all that shall we because it would weaken your argument, You keep on producing good players, Arsenal and Chelsea will thank you when their strutting their stuff in their colours in the not distant future... If you check the article you may well find it was not written by Southampton fc but by a local newspaper so wind your neck in, however lets ignor that the article talks about this season not last too. Arsenal and Chelski did try to sign our players, do you know why they didn't? it's because we are not a selling club we are building for OUR future not theirs Folkestone Saint

3:22pm Fri 13 Dec 13

CC9033 says...

"If you check the article you may well find it was not written by Southampton fc but by a local newspaper so wind your neck in, however lets ignor that the article talks about this season not last too. Arsenal and Chelski did try to sign our players, do you know why they didn't? it's because we are not a selling club we are building for OUR future not theirs"

Even if i "ignor" last season, It doesnt change the fact that this article by your local paper is littered with inaccuracies and false accusations about our club.

PS We will see when Chelsea want a long term replacement for Ashley Cole...
"If you check the article you may well find it was not written by Southampton fc but by a local newspaper so wind your neck in, however lets ignor that the article talks about this season not last too. Arsenal and Chelski did try to sign our players, do you know why they didn't? it's because we are not a selling club we are building for OUR future not theirs" Even if i "ignor" last season, It doesnt change the fact that this article by your local paper is littered with inaccuracies and false accusations about our club. PS We will see when Chelsea want a long term replacement for Ashley Cole... CC9033

4:05pm Fri 13 Dec 13

terrence77 says...

@CC9033

Yes Chelsea will buy a replacement for Cole but to be honest and no offence to Saint but according to the Daily mail Shaw has a price tag of 30 million which is laughable ! Shaw is good but not worth that money ! If Saint think that Shaw is worth that money then Alaba of Bayern Munich is worth 100 million, Danilo 85 million! please
@CC9033 Yes Chelsea will buy a replacement for Cole but to be honest and no offence to Saint but according to the Daily mail Shaw has a price tag of 30 million which is laughable ! Shaw is good but not worth that money ! If Saint think that Shaw is worth that money then Alaba of Bayern Munich is worth 100 million, Danilo 85 million! please terrence77

4:44pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Folkestone Saint says...

CC9033 wrote:
"If you check the article you may well find it was not written by Southampton fc but by a local newspaper so wind your neck in, however lets ignor that the article talks about this season not last too. Arsenal and Chelski did try to sign our players, do you know why they didn't? it's because we are not a selling club we are building for OUR future not theirs"

Even if i "ignor" last season, It doesnt change the fact that this article by your local paper is littered with inaccuracies and false accusations about our club.

PS We will see when Chelsea want a long term replacement for Ashley Cole...
yes we will see, but I know for sure it won't be Luke, be assured we are no longer a small team, even the press are lauding us (even if one of them makes error's). Can I ask though, how many of your academy players have made the first team this year or last and become regulars for Newcastle Utd? answers on a very small piece of paper.
[quote][p][bold]CC9033[/bold] wrote: "If you check the article you may well find it was not written by Southampton fc but by a local newspaper so wind your neck in, however lets ignor that the article talks about this season not last too. Arsenal and Chelski did try to sign our players, do you know why they didn't? it's because we are not a selling club we are building for OUR future not theirs" Even if i "ignor" last season, It doesnt change the fact that this article by your local paper is littered with inaccuracies and false accusations about our club. PS We will see when Chelsea want a long term replacement for Ashley Cole...[/p][/quote]yes we will see, but I know for sure it won't be Luke, be assured we are no longer a small team, even the press are lauding us (even if one of them makes error's). Can I ask though, how many of your academy players have made the first team this year or last and become regulars for Newcastle Utd? answers on a very small piece of paper. Folkestone Saint

5:18pm Fri 13 Dec 13

mack chinnon says...

Conrad.R wrote:
Wow, what an awful article!

I am a big fan of Southampton's youth setup, and they can be very proud of some of the players they have developed. But Newcastle have also assembled a very good squad through an excellent scouting system that has brought in quality international players for amazing value. Both clubs have done well in their own way. And for what it is worth, Newcastle has produced the record English transfer through their academy.

The point about "helping Roy Hodgson" is also not a good one either seeing as him or his predecessor Capello, never even bother to travel up north to St James' Park. Two seasons ago we had the best defence in the league at one point which was made up of three english defenders, and the England manager not once watched us play.

This "article" is also riddled with mistakes:

- Gosling, Taylor, Sammy Ameobi, Williamson, Dummett, Elliot, are all English born and have played for us this season. So that is 6 players, now 3 like written in the article.

- The article also states that Gosling and Taylor are in their 30s, well Gosling is 23 and Taylor is 27.

- Santon is not French, he is Italian.

- Abeid is also not French, he is Algerian.

- It is Krul, not "Kruhl".

- It is Vurnon Anita, not "Vernon Anita".

-It is Cabaye, not "Cabeye".

- And it is Loic Remy, not "Lioc Remy".


I hope Simon Carter is embarrassed by this article. By looking at it your would of thought it was written by Joe Kinnear.
You can come again.
[quote][p][bold]Conrad.R[/bold] wrote: Wow, what an awful article! I am a big fan of Southampton's youth setup, and they can be very proud of some of the players they have developed. But Newcastle have also assembled a very good squad through an excellent scouting system that has brought in quality international players for amazing value. Both clubs have done well in their own way. And for what it is worth, Newcastle has produced the record English transfer through their academy. The point about "helping Roy Hodgson" is also not a good one either seeing as him or his predecessor Capello, never even bother to travel up north to St James' Park. Two seasons ago we had the best defence in the league at one point which was made up of three english defenders, and the England manager not once watched us play. This "article" is also riddled with mistakes: - Gosling, Taylor, Sammy Ameobi, Williamson, Dummett, Elliot, are all English born and have played for us this season. So that is 6 players, now 3 like written in the article. - The article also states that Gosling and Taylor are in their 30s, well Gosling is 23 and Taylor is 27. - Santon is not French, he is Italian. - Abeid is also not French, he is Algerian. - It is Krul, not "Kruhl". - It is Vurnon Anita, not "Vernon Anita". -It is Cabaye, not "Cabeye". - And it is Loic Remy, not "Lioc Remy". I hope Simon Carter is embarrassed by this article. By looking at it your would of thought it was written by Joe Kinnear.[/p][/quote]You can come again. mack chinnon

8:10pm Fri 13 Dec 13

batesieboy says...

bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr wrote:
Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go.
I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.
Since when does a Toon fan born and bred ever write like this? erm....never/
[quote][p][bold]bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr[/bold] wrote: Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go. I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.[/p][/quote]Since when does a Toon fan born and bred ever write like this? erm....never/ batesieboy

8:11pm Fri 13 Dec 13

batesieboy says...

bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr wrote:
Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go.
I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.
Since when does a Toon fan born and bred ever write like this? erm....never?
[quote][p][bold]bllllllaaarrrrrrrrr[/bold] wrote: Wow, what an article. I'm a Toon fan born and bred and thought I'd have a look at your local rag. Do you slate every team you come up against each week or are we a special case due to Pardew. So we have lots of non-English in our squad, that hardly makes us unique. I take my hat off to your youth system and think it's great that you are producing home grown talent. We are quite some way off that but it doesn't mean our academy isn't having a go. I'm looking forward to the game against you guys, should be a good match, the style in which you play is commendable, other than 2moro I hope you guys have a good season.[/p][/quote]Since when does a Toon fan born and bred ever write like this? erm....never? batesieboy

11:19am Sat 14 Dec 13

Strasbourg Saint says...

Conrad.R wrote:
Wow, what an awful article!

I am a big fan of Southampton's youth setup, and they can be very proud of some of the players they have developed. But Newcastle have also assembled a very good squad through an excellent scouting system that has brought in quality international players for amazing value. Both clubs have done well in their own way. And for what it is worth, Newcastle has produced the record English transfer through their academy.

The point about "helping Roy Hodgson" is also not a good one either seeing as him or his predecessor Capello, never even bother to travel up north to St James' Park. Two seasons ago we had the best defence in the league at one point which was made up of three english defenders, and the England manager not once watched us play.

This "article" is also riddled with mistakes:

- Gosling, Taylor, Sammy Ameobi, Williamson, Dummett, Elliot, are all English born and have played for us this season. So that is 6 players, now 3 like written in the article.

- The article also states that Gosling and Taylor are in their 30s, well Gosling is 23 and Taylor is 27.

- Santon is not French, he is Italian.

- Abeid is also not French, he is Algerian.

- It is Krul, not "Kruhl".

- It is Vurnon Anita, not "Vernon Anita".

-It is Cabaye, not "Cabeye".

- And it is Loic Remy, not "Lioc Remy".


I hope Simon Carter is embarrassed by this article. By looking at it your would of thought it was written by Joe Kinnear.
Good points well made. However, if you're going to throw stones at Simon Carter for bad spelling and so forth, here's some help.

Your final sentence should read: By looking at it, YOU would HAVE thought it HAD BEEN written by Joe Kinnear.

Bonne chance les frenchies, mais pas aujourd'hui.
[quote][p][bold]Conrad.R[/bold] wrote: Wow, what an awful article! I am a big fan of Southampton's youth setup, and they can be very proud of some of the players they have developed. But Newcastle have also assembled a very good squad through an excellent scouting system that has brought in quality international players for amazing value. Both clubs have done well in their own way. And for what it is worth, Newcastle has produced the record English transfer through their academy. The point about "helping Roy Hodgson" is also not a good one either seeing as him or his predecessor Capello, never even bother to travel up north to St James' Park. Two seasons ago we had the best defence in the league at one point which was made up of three english defenders, and the England manager not once watched us play. This "article" is also riddled with mistakes: - Gosling, Taylor, Sammy Ameobi, Williamson, Dummett, Elliot, are all English born and have played for us this season. So that is 6 players, now 3 like written in the article. - The article also states that Gosling and Taylor are in their 30s, well Gosling is 23 and Taylor is 27. - Santon is not French, he is Italian. - Abeid is also not French, he is Algerian. - It is Krul, not "Kruhl". - It is Vurnon Anita, not "Vernon Anita". -It is Cabaye, not "Cabeye". - And it is Loic Remy, not "Lioc Remy". I hope Simon Carter is embarrassed by this article. By looking at it your would of thought it was written by Joe Kinnear.[/p][/quote]Good points well made. However, if you're going to throw stones at Simon Carter for bad spelling and so forth, here's some help. Your final sentence should read: By looking at it, YOU would HAVE thought it HAD BEEN written by Joe Kinnear. Bonne chance les frenchies, mais pas aujourd'hui. Strasbourg Saint

2:09pm Sun 15 Dec 13

adamrobertk says...

The sad thing is I agree with the bulk of what you say but please get your facts right. This article is ridden with in-accuracies. If you were accurate you would have credibility and people would actually take you seriously. The point he makes is valid, even as a toon fan I find the lack of good quality Geordie talent coming through a disgrace. I occasionally watch youth football and its a mess up here. This needs to be given attention and we seriously need to look at how Southampton do it. However in order for people to listen, attention needs to be drawn to it, the easiest way to do this is journalists to publish articles on it. However when an article is riddled with in-accuracies, people will naturally think, if he can't get Davide Santon's nationality right (Italian international I might add who played for Inter Milan prior to toon), then the rest of it must be rubbish. Well done...
The sad thing is I agree with the bulk of what you say but please get your facts right. This article is ridden with in-accuracies. If you were accurate you would have credibility and people would actually take you seriously. The point he makes is valid, even as a toon fan I find the lack of good quality Geordie talent coming through a disgrace. I occasionally watch youth football and its a mess up here. This needs to be given attention and we seriously need to look at how Southampton do it. However in order for people to listen, attention needs to be drawn to it, the easiest way to do this is journalists to publish articles on it. However when an article is riddled with in-accuracies, people will naturally think, if he can't get Davide Santon's nationality right (Italian international I might add who played for Inter Milan prior to toon), then the rest of it must be rubbish. Well done... adamrobertk

11:49pm Sun 15 Dec 13

rubaz66 says...

Quite possibly the worst article i've ever read, the amount wrong with it is actually laughable, how is this guy in a job? Lazy journalism gone wrong, for it to be brought up on nufc.com with all the errors in red says alot. Actually laughed out loud reading their summary of it, Santon french? Did you get the spellings of the player names off Joe Kinnear? Have a word man, seriously!
Quite possibly the worst article i've ever read, the amount wrong with it is actually laughable, how is this guy in a job? Lazy journalism gone wrong, for it to be brought up on nufc.com with all the errors in red says alot. Actually laughed out loud reading their summary of it, Santon french? Did you get the spellings of the player names off Joe Kinnear? Have a word man, seriously! rubaz66

2:33pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Fenno1 says...

Looks like the SDE could do with promoting some young English talent on its sports desk. Simon, this is Scottish league reporting at best.
Looks like the SDE could do with promoting some young English talent on its sports desk. Simon, this is Scottish league reporting at best. Fenno1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree