Ten years ago today ... the story that rocked Saints

Daily Echo: Gordon Strachan Gordon Strachan

IT was the news that rocked Saints – and it happened 10 years ago today.

Gordon Strachan, the man that had led Saints to a top eight finish and the FA Cup final the previous year, announced he was leaving at the end of the 2003/04 season.

The Scot wanted to keep the news private, but it broke in the media and forced Strachan to go public far earlier than he intended.

As a result, he resigned his post a few weeks later as speculation mounted about who could replace him.

Hindsight showed it took the club a long time to recover from Strachan’s bombshell decision to leave the club that he had joined in October 2001.

In the short-term, it caused an outcry among sections of the fanbase after Glenn Hoddle revealed he would be keen on returning to Saints as Strachan’s replacement.

Then chairman Rupert Lowe was keen to bring Hoddle back, but was over-ruled by his board of directors concerned what the ex-England boss’ return would have on the supporters.

Instead, Saints turned to a third division manager, Paul Sturrock.

The rest is history, and for a while not great history either.

Within a year and a few months, Saints had been relegated – just two years after Strachan had masterminded a top eight finish.

It was a big nosedive in a short space of time, and it was to get much worse for Saints before it got better.

Strachan said he was not going to sign a new contract because he wanted to take a break from football.

He did just that, enjoying a 16-month break prior to taking over as Celtic boss.

Strachan later managed Middlesbrough before taking up the role as Scottish team boss a year ago next week.

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:01am Thu 9 Jan 14

Sally Hamilton Original says...

Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!! Sally Hamilton Original

11:06am Thu 9 Jan 14

Portswood Pete says...

Sally Hamilton Original wrote:
Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
[quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up. Portswood Pete

11:59am Thu 9 Jan 14

insane saint says...

SO it happened what has this got to do with the here and now. we know what happened 10 years ago. the bus is about to sputter into over drive boosters at the ready...............
.

COYS
SO it happened what has this got to do with the here and now. we know what happened 10 years ago. the bus is about to sputter into over drive boosters at the ready............... . COYS insane saint

12:00pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Junwin says...

Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote:
Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
Rupert Lowe 'did fine'???

Sold our best players at knock down prices
Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this)
Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said)
Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale)
Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale)

Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'!
[quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'! Junwin

12:10pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Tony in Liberia says...

Junwin wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote:
Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
Rupert Lowe 'did fine'???

Sold our best players at knock down prices
Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this)
Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said)
Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale)
Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale)

Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'!
I think you missed the comma there - it makes the comment mean something very different to your interpretation!
[quote][p][bold]Junwin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'![/p][/quote]I think you missed the comma there - it makes the comment mean something very different to your interpretation! Tony in Liberia

12:16pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Portswood Pete says...

Junwin wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'!
Typical anti Lowe rhetoric, lies, half-truths and misquotes. I didn't say he done fine, I said if you want to slag him off for what he did, fine, just don't make stuff up. Although far, far from perfect, he was not the anti-Christ some would want to us believe. Your piece, Junwin, is the sort of manic, jumping up and down rot that gives some "fans" a bad name and tries to distort history. Even you know most of what you've written is either a huge exaggeration or out and out lies. Very sad.
[quote][p][bold]Junwin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'![/p][/quote]Typical anti Lowe rhetoric, lies, half-truths and misquotes. I didn't say he done fine, I said if you want to slag him off for what he did, fine, just don't make stuff up. Although far, far from perfect, he was not the anti-Christ some would want to us believe. Your piece, Junwin, is the sort of manic, jumping up and down rot that gives some "fans" a bad name and tries to distort history. Even you know most of what you've written is either a huge exaggeration or out and out lies. Very sad. Portswood Pete

12:19pm Thu 9 Jan 14

willygetaway says...

In Cortese i trust , God bless Marcus. i still think a stand should be named after him COYR
In Cortese i trust , God bless Marcus. i still think a stand should be named after him COYR willygetaway

12:53pm Thu 9 Jan 14

NewForestStu says...

Love him or loathe him, Lowe had his good and bad points. Only my view but personally i am more than glad the club is now rid of him. However, flip side is......without St Mary's and the assets that were in place we could have easily ended up like Pompey. I know some will say he simply borrowed the cash to build St Mary's and brought nothing to the table himself, but at least it got built......without it and being at the Dell would have made us a far less attractive to other interested parties. Move on and look forward to the future.....tis bright, tis red and white!!
Love him or loathe him, Lowe had his good and bad points. Only my view but personally i am more than glad the club is now rid of him. However, flip side is......without St Mary's and the assets that were in place we could have easily ended up like Pompey. I know some will say he simply borrowed the cash to build St Mary's and brought nothing to the table himself, but at least it got built......without it and being at the Dell would have made us a far less attractive to other interested parties. Move on and look forward to the future.....tis bright, tis red and white!! NewForestStu

12:55pm Thu 9 Jan 14

itsnotjustice says...

What is the point of this article????

any true saints fan knows what went on ten years ago,fifteen years ago, twenty years ago...

rupert lowe was a chairman who did what he thought was best for HIM and didnt give a toss about the fans.

lets just forget about that clown, and praise strachan for what amazing thing he done for us at the time,and now move forward..

hillarious thing is though, i remember so many times reading all the anit cortese stuff on here.. at least we dont still have rupert the square.
What is the point of this article???? any true saints fan knows what went on ten years ago,fifteen years ago, twenty years ago... rupert lowe was a chairman who did what he thought was best for HIM and didnt give a toss about the fans. lets just forget about that clown, and praise strachan for what amazing thing he done for us at the time,and now move forward.. hillarious thing is though, i remember so many times reading all the anit cortese stuff on here.. at least we dont still have rupert the square. itsnotjustice

1:00pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Mush On The Beach says...

willygetaway wrote:
In Cortese i trust , God bless Marcus. i still think a stand should be named after him COYR
Quite right Willy, I don’t know why that has not been done.

The only problem I have with wee Gordan after he left us is that he became a complete smug ar$e to journalists and reporters when being interviewed in his next managerial positions. Then when he was given the managerial bullet they gave him a job in the media ....... undeserved.
[quote][p][bold]willygetaway[/bold] wrote: In Cortese i trust , God bless Marcus. i still think a stand should be named after him COYR[/p][/quote]Quite right Willy, I don’t know why that has not been done. The only problem I have with wee Gordan after he left us is that he became a complete smug ar$e to journalists and reporters when being interviewed in his next managerial positions. Then when he was given the managerial bullet they gave him a job in the media ....... undeserved. Mush On The Beach

1:03pm Thu 9 Jan 14

st1halo says...

WGS.
Loved the guy
Devestated when he left.
But we're over it now!

STID
WGS. Loved the guy Devestated when he left. But we're over it now! STID st1halo

1:08pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Ciaran says...

Junwin wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote:
Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
Rupert Lowe 'did fine'???

Sold our best players at knock down prices
Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this)
Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said)
Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale)
Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale)

Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'!
Lowe got very good prices for players, actually. For example, Dean Richards was sold for £8.1m, and Peter Crouch for £7m less than a year after joining for £2m.

Redknapp was widely welcomed by Saints fans at the time of his appointment.

Lowe wasn't the person who spent more than the club could afford, which is what what ultimately led to administration - that was the board that replaced him (the same board which wanted to sell the club to SISU until Leon Crouch fought against it).

Lowe came back with Michael Wilde in what turned out to be a futile attempt to stave off administration.

Lowe had many faults and made plenty of mistakes in his time at SFC and was far from a popular figure, but you don't need to make things up about him to have a pop - there's plenty of real things to get him for on that front.
[quote][p][bold]Junwin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'![/p][/quote]Lowe got very good prices for players, actually. For example, Dean Richards was sold for £8.1m, and Peter Crouch for £7m less than a year after joining for £2m. Redknapp was widely welcomed by Saints fans at the time of his appointment. Lowe wasn't the person who spent more than the club could afford, which is what what ultimately led to administration - that was the board that replaced him (the same board which wanted to sell the club to SISU until Leon Crouch fought against it). Lowe came back with Michael Wilde in what turned out to be a futile attempt to stave off administration. Lowe had many faults and made plenty of mistakes in his time at SFC and was far from a popular figure, but you don't need to make things up about him to have a pop - there's plenty of real things to get him for on that front. Ciaran

1:25pm Thu 9 Jan 14

ecuk268 says...

EloiseBKline wrote:
I think, I can never earn over which I paid by my precedent employer, but I was wrong, world is so large to try their fate.but now I am making 92 dollar a hour even more, can easily minimum 1754 dollar weekly, on the experience everyone must try to do work online, easy way to earn, here's an example what I do... www.Day37.cℴm
Could you spend some of it on learning to write comprehensible English??
[quote][p][bold]EloiseBKline[/bold] wrote: I think, I can never earn over which I paid by my precedent employer, but I was wrong, world is so large to try their fate.but now I am making 92 dollar a hour even more, can easily minimum 1754 dollar weekly, on the experience everyone must try to do work online, easy way to earn, here's an example what I do... www.Day37.cℴm[/p][/quote]Could you spend some of it on learning to write comprehensible English?? ecuk268

1:33pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Confucious says...

Not terribly interesting.

However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time).

Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was!

But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park.

Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.
Not terribly interesting. However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time). Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was! But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park. Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again. Confucious

2:01pm Thu 9 Jan 14

el caballo santos101 says...

Ciaran wrote:
Junwin wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote:
Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
Rupert Lowe 'did fine'???

Sold our best players at knock down prices
Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this)
Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said)
Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale)
Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale)

Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'!
Lowe got very good prices for players, actually. For example, Dean Richards was sold for £8.1m, and Peter Crouch for £7m less than a year after joining for £2m.

Redknapp was widely welcomed by Saints fans at the time of his appointment.

Lowe wasn't the person who spent more than the club could afford, which is what what ultimately led to administration - that was the board that replaced him (the same board which wanted to sell the club to SISU until Leon Crouch fought against it).

Lowe came back with Michael Wilde in what turned out to be a futile attempt to stave off administration.

Lowe had many faults and made plenty of mistakes in his time at SFC and was far from a popular figure, but you don't need to make things up about him to have a pop - there's plenty of real things to get him for on that front.
lowe didn't get very good prices for players, he got a fair price for most and sold some way too cheap. he also stated that he wouldn't try to keep any player who wanted to leave, players want to heart that they are wanted by the club not that they are just commodities. as others have said, why didn't lowe add sell on clauses to sold players conditions? how many millions have we just `lost` on bale?
lowe didn't spend more than the club cold afford? so why were we in the red when he left the first time? he got millions in from player sales, where did that all go?
redkrapp wasn't widely welcomed by the fans. he was accepted mainly because by signing him we ` got one over poopey` by getting their hero. I like many others said at the time that I didn't like his appointment but would support him `now that he was here`.
lowe made the club a laughing stock within the media, with his constant appointing and sacking managers. did he try to stop hoddle going to spuds? lowe appointed managers who didn't have the right or any qualifications, an so breaking prem league rules, he signed players without letting the manager know, delgardo a prime example. despite knowing nothing about football he tried to meddle in team affairs. managers often left citing 'difficulties' with the owners/chairman.
lowe took over the club for no money and never put any in himself.
lowe took the heart out of Southampton football club tuning a well respected `family` club into laughing stock.
[quote][p][bold]Ciaran[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Junwin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'![/p][/quote]Lowe got very good prices for players, actually. For example, Dean Richards was sold for £8.1m, and Peter Crouch for £7m less than a year after joining for £2m. Redknapp was widely welcomed by Saints fans at the time of his appointment. Lowe wasn't the person who spent more than the club could afford, which is what what ultimately led to administration - that was the board that replaced him (the same board which wanted to sell the club to SISU until Leon Crouch fought against it). Lowe came back with Michael Wilde in what turned out to be a futile attempt to stave off administration. Lowe had many faults and made plenty of mistakes in his time at SFC and was far from a popular figure, but you don't need to make things up about him to have a pop - there's plenty of real things to get him for on that front.[/p][/quote]lowe didn't get very good prices for players, he got a fair price for most and sold some way too cheap. he also stated that he wouldn't try to keep any player who wanted to leave, players want to heart that they are wanted by the club not that they are just commodities. as others have said, why didn't lowe add sell on clauses to sold players conditions? how many millions have we just `lost` on bale? lowe didn't spend more than the club cold afford? so why were we in the red when he left the first time? he got millions in from player sales, where did that all go? redkrapp wasn't widely welcomed by the fans. he was accepted mainly because by signing him we ` got one over poopey` by getting their hero. I like many others said at the time that I didn't like his appointment but would support him `now that he was here`. lowe made the club a laughing stock within the media, with his constant appointing and sacking managers. did he try to stop hoddle going to spuds? lowe appointed managers who didn't have the right or any qualifications, an so breaking prem league rules, he signed players without letting the manager know, delgardo a prime example. despite knowing nothing about football he tried to meddle in team affairs. managers often left citing 'difficulties' with the owners/chairman. lowe took over the club for no money and never put any in himself. lowe took the heart out of Southampton football club tuning a well respected `family` club into laughing stock. el caballo santos101

2:26pm Thu 9 Jan 14

SPIKEISLANDTRADER says...

Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote:
Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
LOWE st point of our history as a football club . Thank god for our new REGIME in charge . Marcus and his MILLIONS saved us from SKATE LAND situ , LOWE was a blood sucking LEECH to the club
[quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]LOWE st point of our history as a football club . Thank god for our new REGIME in charge . Marcus and his MILLIONS saved us from SKATE LAND situ , LOWE was a blood sucking LEECH to the club SPIKEISLANDTRADER

3:13pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Alicesdad says...

Schools back so sit up straight and pay attention!!

"The Daily Echo is a newpaper"

Discuss.
Schools back so sit up straight and pay attention!! "The Daily Echo is a newpaper" Discuss. Alicesdad

3:37pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Alicesdad says...

Confucious wrote:
Not terribly interesting.

However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time).

Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was!

But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park.

Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.
I hope you are wrong about PFC .. if they go bust their supporters will start coming to see us .... nooooo !!!

Also in Ten Years time ...

- Gordon Watson "Yeah Thats right .. jibber jabber blah blah blah blah"
- Dave Watson "I used to play for this team... "
- Dr John Watson "Why you always need someone behind the front man"
- Emma Watson (Hermione) Saints can cast a spell on the Champions League
- Russel Watson --- "Give me a G"
- Tom Watson - "Why I need a bigger club"
- Gary Lineker "What's on MOTD tonight ...

Surely that's enough Watson for anyone !!

... and then of course .. MLT " ... why Nichola Cortese still wont talk to me about Franny "
[quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: Not terribly interesting. However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time). Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was! But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park. Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.[/p][/quote]I hope you are wrong about PFC .. if they go bust their supporters will start coming to see us .... nooooo !!! Also in Ten Years time ... - Gordon Watson "Yeah Thats right .. jibber jabber blah blah blah blah" - Dave Watson "I used to play for this team... " - Dr John Watson "Why you always need someone behind the front man" - Emma Watson (Hermione) Saints can cast a spell on the Champions League - Russel Watson --- "Give me a G" - Tom Watson - "Why I need a bigger club" - Gary Lineker "What's on MOTD tonight ... Surely that's enough Watson for anyone !! ... and then of course .. MLT " ... why Nichola Cortese still wont talk to me about Franny " Alicesdad

3:44pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Alicesdad says...

This is all very dull ... can we call that that woman who has a sister that earns £5000 a day from her living room using just two fingers and a laptop .. at least until some news breaks
This is all very dull ... can we call that that woman who has a sister that earns £5000 a day from her living room using just two fingers and a laptop .. at least until some news breaks Alicesdad

3:47pm Thu 9 Jan 14

CB FRY LIVES says...

ecuk268 wrote:
EloiseBKline wrote:
I think, I can never earn over which I paid by my precedent employer, but I was wrong, world is so large to try their fate.but now I am making 92 dollar a hour even more, can easily minimum 1754 dollar weekly, on the experience everyone must try to do work online, easy way to earn, here's an example what I do... www.Day37.cℴm
Could you spend some of it on learning to write comprehensible English??
Keep up the good work and earning all those dollars and you might be able to buy a football club..another 94 dollars and you could buy the football team that hangs out at Farton Park,94 dollars will pay their wages for the next ten years.
COYR
[quote][p][bold]ecuk268[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]EloiseBKline[/bold] wrote: I think, I can never earn over which I paid by my precedent employer, but I was wrong, world is so large to try their fate.but now I am making 92 dollar a hour even more, can easily minimum 1754 dollar weekly, on the experience everyone must try to do work online, easy way to earn, here's an example what I do... www.Day37.cℴm[/p][/quote]Could you spend some of it on learning to write comprehensible English??[/p][/quote]Keep up the good work and earning all those dollars and you might be able to buy a football club..another 94 dollars and you could buy the football team that hangs out at Farton Park,94 dollars will pay their wages for the next ten years. COYR CB FRY LIVES

4:04pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Strasbourg Saint says...

Confucious wrote:
Not terribly interesting.

However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time).

Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was!

But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park.

Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.
Good work, Confucious. Any chance you can post me the lottery numbers for next week?
[quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: Not terribly interesting. However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time). Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was! But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park. Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.[/p][/quote]Good work, Confucious. Any chance you can post me the lottery numbers for next week? Strasbourg Saint

4:45pm Thu 9 Jan 14

mbetts says...

Echo historian hard at work today? How many years ago did Hoddle sod off to Spuds? (Great career move that turned out to be!) Lawrie Mac decide the Mackems were the future? (Likewise!) Saints decide Wiggly/Sturrock etc ets etc were the future? (Double Likewise!)

Always have max respect for the wee man had 2 of my best/drunkest weekends of my life coz of what he achieved, and that's what Saints are all about!
Echo historian hard at work today? How many years ago did Hoddle sod off to Spuds? (Great career move that turned out to be!) Lawrie Mac decide the Mackems were the future? (Likewise!) Saints decide Wiggly/Sturrock etc ets etc were the future? (Double Likewise!) Always have max respect for the wee man had 2 of my best/drunkest weekends of my life coz of what he achieved, and that's what Saints are all about! mbetts

5:20pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Fatty x Ford Worker says...

The base was not as a wee Scot could handle!
The base was not as a wee Scot could handle! Fatty x Ford Worker

5:36pm Thu 9 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Alicesdad wrote:
Schools back so sit up straight and pay attention!!

"The Daily Echo is a newpaper"

Discuss.
thats newspaper I think? Old news though.
[quote][p][bold]Alicesdad[/bold] wrote: Schools back so sit up straight and pay attention!! "The Daily Echo is a newpaper" Discuss.[/p][/quote]thats newspaper I think? Old news though. OSPREYSAINT

5:37pm Thu 9 Jan 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Strasbourg Saint wrote:
Confucious wrote:
Not terribly interesting.

However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time).

Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was!

But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park.

Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.
Good work, Confucious. Any chance you can post me the lottery numbers for next week?
1 to 49 inclusive.
[quote][p][bold]Strasbourg Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: Not terribly interesting. However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time). Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was! But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park. Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.[/p][/quote]Good work, Confucious. Any chance you can post me the lottery numbers for next week?[/p][/quote]1 to 49 inclusive. OSPREYSAINT

6:02pm Thu 9 Jan 14

Strasbourg Saint says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Strasbourg Saint wrote:
Confucious wrote:
Not terribly interesting.

However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time).

Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was!

But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park.

Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.
Good work, Confucious. Any chance you can post me the lottery numbers for next week?
1 to 49 inclusive.
Yes, but we need to narrow it down a bit and I'm guessing Confucious is the man to do it.

We could set up an Echo forum syndicate. Confucious could provide the numbers, you could stump up the two quid and I could run off with all the money.

In 10 year's time, they'll be reporting this magnificent event on an Echo internet thread.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Strasbourg Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Confucious[/bold] wrote: Not terribly interesting. However, in 10 years time today, we beat Arsenal 2-1 at home to go 7 points clear at the top of Prem and are favourites to win the Champions League - especially after beating Barcelona 4-0 in the last round (which takes place in nine years 48 weeks time). Aniother big story of the day in ten years time, however, is that top scorer Pedro Guadharo agreed to sign up for another 3 years. What a find that boy was! But the biggest item on here in ten years time is the fifth anniversary of Poopey finally going bust and the third anniversary of Asda opening their megastore at Fratton Park. Oh - almost forgot - Seedhouse gets divorced again.[/p][/quote]Good work, Confucious. Any chance you can post me the lottery numbers for next week?[/p][/quote]1 to 49 inclusive.[/p][/quote]Yes, but we need to narrow it down a bit and I'm guessing Confucious is the man to do it. We could set up an Echo forum syndicate. Confucious could provide the numbers, you could stump up the two quid and I could run off with all the money. In 10 year's time, they'll be reporting this magnificent event on an Echo internet thread. Strasbourg Saint

7:34pm Thu 9 Jan 14

ctsaint says...

itsnotjustice wrote:
What is the point of this article????

any true saints fan knows what went on ten years ago,fifteen years ago, twenty years ago...

rupert lowe was a chairman who did what he thought was best for HIM and didnt give a toss about the fans.

lets just forget about that clown, and praise strachan for what amazing thing he done for us at the time,and now move forward..

hillarious thing is though, i remember so many times reading all the anit cortese stuff on here.. at least we dont still have rupert the square.
Who appointed Strachan and funded the team that finished 8th and got to the cup final?
[quote][p][bold]itsnotjustice[/bold] wrote: What is the point of this article???? any true saints fan knows what went on ten years ago,fifteen years ago, twenty years ago... rupert lowe was a chairman who did what he thought was best for HIM and didnt give a toss about the fans. lets just forget about that clown, and praise strachan for what amazing thing he done for us at the time,and now move forward.. hillarious thing is though, i remember so many times reading all the anit cortese stuff on here.. at least we dont still have rupert the square.[/p][/quote]Who appointed Strachan and funded the team that finished 8th and got to the cup final? ctsaint

1:12am Fri 10 Jan 14

andysaints007 says...

itsnotjustice wrote:
What is the point of this article????

any true saints fan knows what went on ten years ago,fifteen years ago, twenty years ago...

rupert lowe was a chairman who did what he thought was best for HIM and didnt give a toss about the fans.

lets just forget about that clown, and praise strachan for what amazing thing he done for us at the time,and now move forward..

hillarious thing is though, i remember so many times reading all the anit cortese stuff on here.. at least we dont still have rupert the square.
IDIOT
[quote][p][bold]itsnotjustice[/bold] wrote: What is the point of this article???? any true saints fan knows what went on ten years ago,fifteen years ago, twenty years ago... rupert lowe was a chairman who did what he thought was best for HIM and didnt give a toss about the fans. lets just forget about that clown, and praise strachan for what amazing thing he done for us at the time,and now move forward.. hillarious thing is though, i remember so many times reading all the anit cortese stuff on here.. at least we dont still have rupert the square.[/p][/quote]IDIOT andysaints007

8:41am Fri 10 Jan 14

miltonarcher says...

Portswood Pete wrote:
Junwin wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'!
Typical anti Lowe rhetoric, lies, half-truths and misquotes. I didn't say he done fine, I said if you want to slag him off for what he did, fine, just don't make stuff up. Although far, far from perfect, he was not the anti-Christ some would want to us believe. Your piece, Junwin, is the sort of manic, jumping up and down rot that gives some "fans" a bad name and tries to distort history. Even you know most of what you've written is either a huge exaggeration or out and out lies. Very sad.
Agreed. If the no brains in the Northam with their red cards had been ignored and the board had followed Lowes recommendation Hoddle would have returned and the managerial shambles would have been avoided. We can only speculate on where that would have lead the club but remember when Hoddle left we were 7th in the Premier League! Most of the anti Lowe brigade hate him for his background, they shouldn't forget the positive things he did at SFC.
[quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Junwin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'![/p][/quote]Typical anti Lowe rhetoric, lies, half-truths and misquotes. I didn't say he done fine, I said if you want to slag him off for what he did, fine, just don't make stuff up. Although far, far from perfect, he was not the anti-Christ some would want to us believe. Your piece, Junwin, is the sort of manic, jumping up and down rot that gives some "fans" a bad name and tries to distort history. Even you know most of what you've written is either a huge exaggeration or out and out lies. Very sad.[/p][/quote]Agreed. If the no brains in the Northam with their red cards had been ignored and the board had followed Lowes recommendation Hoddle would have returned and the managerial shambles would have been avoided. We can only speculate on where that would have lead the club but remember when Hoddle left we were 7th in the Premier League! Most of the anti Lowe brigade hate him for his background, they shouldn't forget the positive things he did at SFC. miltonarcher

2:09am Sat 11 Jan 14

el caballo santos101 says...

miltonarcher wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Junwin wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'!
Typical anti Lowe rhetoric, lies, half-truths and misquotes. I didn't say he done fine, I said if you want to slag him off for what he did, fine, just don't make stuff up. Although far, far from perfect, he was not the anti-Christ some would want to us believe. Your piece, Junwin, is the sort of manic, jumping up and down rot that gives some "fans" a bad name and tries to distort history. Even you know most of what you've written is either a huge exaggeration or out and out lies. Very sad.
Agreed. If the no brains in the Northam with their red cards had been ignored and the board had followed Lowes recommendation Hoddle would have returned and the managerial shambles would have been avoided. We can only speculate on where that would have lead the club but remember when Hoddle left we were 7th in the Premier League! Most of the anti Lowe brigade hate him for his background, they shouldn't forget the positive things he did at SFC.
this has just made it to the top of the most idiotic posts ever list.
for a start the slagging of off fellow saints fans, just because fans chant and sing doesn't make them `no brains`.
actually most if not all seem to have more brains than you. the fans you are quite happy to call names, and I, could clearly see what lowe was doing to the club! you claim that if hoddle had been allowed to return then the managerial shambles would have been avoided? you fail to see or realise that the `managerial shambles` had been going on since the day lowe joined the club, souness and big mac quit because they couldn't work with lowe, mainly because he wanted a say in first team affairs and cut back drastically the budget he promised. dave jones forced out because of false accusations of abuse, no attempt to stop spuds taking hoddle, gray appointed and then sacked after 19 games, WGS left because lowe wouldn't give him time off for surgery, wigley 2 games, that's all before he wanted hoddle back, then sturrock 13 games, wigley again 17 games (winning just 3), he then appointed redkrapp (who the fans didn't really want, but were happy to get one over poopey), bassett & wise 3games, we could go on to the `letting go` of pearson and the appointing of the dutch pair! as I said, the shambles didn't start after the board wouldn't let him re-appoint hoddle (the board not the fans) if the board had given in he would have appointed hoddle again and thousands of fans would have walked away.
I didn't hate lowe because of his background either, I hated him for destroying Southampton football club. I actually liked the appointing of sir clive and feel that given time he could have done a lot for the club, why after bringing sir clive on board did he sign redkrapp, who anyone could see wouldn't like him being there?
you, like others, will also say that lowe sold players for big profits. as I said earlier, it wasn't great money it was fair prices though some were too cheap, but why was there no sell on clauses? the spuds chairman has said he `stole` bale from us and couldn't believe lowe didn't fight for a sell on clause! where did all the money from player sales go? we had survived in the top flight for years with, at times, some of the best players in the world. yet as soon as lowe comes in we sell all our best for millions despite having twice as many fans and more tv money we go into the red and eventually bust. where did all the money go? it didn't go into sms, that was built with a mortgage, and was being paid from ticket sales. millions came into the club but disappeared, where?
if you cant see what lowe did to the club that's your fault, but don't have a go at the vast majority who could!
[quote][p][bold]miltonarcher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Junwin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'![/p][/quote]Typical anti Lowe rhetoric, lies, half-truths and misquotes. I didn't say he done fine, I said if you want to slag him off for what he did, fine, just don't make stuff up. Although far, far from perfect, he was not the anti-Christ some would want to us believe. Your piece, Junwin, is the sort of manic, jumping up and down rot that gives some "fans" a bad name and tries to distort history. Even you know most of what you've written is either a huge exaggeration or out and out lies. Very sad.[/p][/quote]Agreed. If the no brains in the Northam with their red cards had been ignored and the board had followed Lowes recommendation Hoddle would have returned and the managerial shambles would have been avoided. We can only speculate on where that would have lead the club but remember when Hoddle left we were 7th in the Premier League! Most of the anti Lowe brigade hate him for his background, they shouldn't forget the positive things he did at SFC.[/p][/quote]this has just made it to the top of the most idiotic posts ever list. for a start the slagging of off fellow saints fans, just because fans chant and sing doesn't make them `no brains`. actually most if not all seem to have more brains than you. the fans you are quite happy to call names, and I, could clearly see what lowe was doing to the club! you claim that if hoddle had been allowed to return then the managerial shambles would have been avoided? you fail to see or realise that the `managerial shambles` had been going on since the day lowe joined the club, souness and big mac quit because they couldn't work with lowe, mainly because he wanted a say in first team affairs and cut back drastically the budget he promised. dave jones forced out because of false accusations of abuse, no attempt to stop spuds taking hoddle, gray appointed and then sacked after 19 games, WGS left because lowe wouldn't give him time off for surgery, wigley 2 games, that's all before he wanted hoddle back, then sturrock 13 games, wigley again 17 games (winning just 3), he then appointed redkrapp (who the fans didn't really want, but were happy to get one over poopey), bassett & wise 3games, we could go on to the `letting go` of pearson and the appointing of the dutch pair! as I said, the shambles didn't start after the board wouldn't let him re-appoint hoddle (the board not the fans) if the board had given in he would have appointed hoddle again and thousands of fans would have walked away. I didn't hate lowe because of his background either, I hated him for destroying Southampton football club. I actually liked the appointing of sir clive and feel that given time he could have done a lot for the club, why after bringing sir clive on board did he sign redkrapp, who anyone could see wouldn't like him being there? you, like others, will also say that lowe sold players for big profits. as I said earlier, it wasn't great money it was fair prices though some were too cheap, but why was there no sell on clauses? the spuds chairman has said he `stole` bale from us and couldn't believe lowe didn't fight for a sell on clause! where did all the money from player sales go? we had survived in the top flight for years with, at times, some of the best players in the world. yet as soon as lowe comes in we sell all our best for millions despite having twice as many fans and more tv money we go into the red and eventually bust. where did all the money go? it didn't go into sms, that was built with a mortgage, and was being paid from ticket sales. millions came into the club but disappeared, where? if you cant see what lowe did to the club that's your fault, but don't have a go at the vast majority who could! el caballo santos101

2:48pm Mon 13 Jan 14

miltonarcher says...

el caballo santos101 wrote:
miltonarcher wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Junwin wrote:
Portswood Pete wrote:
Sally Hamilton Original wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!!
Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.
Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'!
Typical anti Lowe rhetoric, lies, half-truths and misquotes. I didn't say he done fine, I said if you want to slag him off for what he did, fine, just don't make stuff up. Although far, far from perfect, he was not the anti-Christ some would want to us believe. Your piece, Junwin, is the sort of manic, jumping up and down rot that gives some "fans" a bad name and tries to distort history. Even you know most of what you've written is either a huge exaggeration or out and out lies. Very sad.
Agreed. If the no brains in the Northam with their red cards had been ignored and the board had followed Lowes recommendation Hoddle would have returned and the managerial shambles would have been avoided. We can only speculate on where that would have lead the club but remember when Hoddle left we were 7th in the Premier League! Most of the anti Lowe brigade hate him for his background, they shouldn't forget the positive things he did at SFC.
this has just made it to the top of the most idiotic posts ever list.
for a start the slagging of off fellow saints fans, just because fans chant and sing doesn't make them `no brains`.
actually most if not all seem to have more brains than you. the fans you are quite happy to call names, and I, could clearly see what lowe was doing to the club! you claim that if hoddle had been allowed to return then the managerial shambles would have been avoided? you fail to see or realise that the `managerial shambles` had been going on since the day lowe joined the club, souness and big mac quit because they couldn't work with lowe, mainly because he wanted a say in first team affairs and cut back drastically the budget he promised. dave jones forced out because of false accusations of abuse, no attempt to stop spuds taking hoddle, gray appointed and then sacked after 19 games, WGS left because lowe wouldn't give him time off for surgery, wigley 2 games, that's all before he wanted hoddle back, then sturrock 13 games, wigley again 17 games (winning just 3), he then appointed redkrapp (who the fans didn't really want, but were happy to get one over poopey), bassett & wise 3games, we could go on to the `letting go` of pearson and the appointing of the dutch pair! as I said, the shambles didn't start after the board wouldn't let him re-appoint hoddle (the board not the fans) if the board had given in he would have appointed hoddle again and thousands of fans would have walked away.
I didn't hate lowe because of his background either, I hated him for destroying Southampton football club. I actually liked the appointing of sir clive and feel that given time he could have done a lot for the club, why after bringing sir clive on board did he sign redkrapp, who anyone could see wouldn't like him being there?
you, like others, will also say that lowe sold players for big profits. as I said earlier, it wasn't great money it was fair prices though some were too cheap, but why was there no sell on clauses? the spuds chairman has said he `stole` bale from us and couldn't believe lowe didn't fight for a sell on clause! where did all the money from player sales go? we had survived in the top flight for years with, at times, some of the best players in the world. yet as soon as lowe comes in we sell all our best for millions despite having twice as many fans and more tv money we go into the red and eventually bust. where did all the money go? it didn't go into sms, that was built with a mortgage, and was being paid from ticket sales. millions came into the club but disappeared, where?
if you cant see what lowe did to the club that's your fault, but don't have a go at the vast majority who could!
Could somebody translate this rant into English please?
[quote][p][bold]el caballo santos101[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]miltonarcher[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Junwin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Portswood Pete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sally Hamilton Original[/bold] wrote: Strachan wanted time off for surgery but was told he could either not have surgery off if he wanted time off then leave. The dark lord certainly was the reason we declined so massively... But hey, this was years ago and look at us now!![/p][/quote]Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing to do with Lowe. Some people really need to get over him slag him off stuff he did, fine, but don't go around making this rubbish up.[/p][/quote]Rupert Lowe 'did fine'??? Sold our best players at knock down prices Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this) Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said) Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale) Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale) Lowe almost destroyed Southampton FC. You are seeing now how clubs SHOULD be run. Compare and contrast and you'll realise that Lowe did pretty f**king far from 'fine'![/p][/quote]Typical anti Lowe rhetoric, lies, half-truths and misquotes. I didn't say he done fine, I said if you want to slag him off for what he did, fine, just don't make stuff up. Although far, far from perfect, he was not the anti-Christ some would want to us believe. Your piece, Junwin, is the sort of manic, jumping up and down rot that gives some "fans" a bad name and tries to distort history. Even you know most of what you've written is either a huge exaggeration or out and out lies. Very sad.[/p][/quote]Agreed. If the no brains in the Northam with their red cards had been ignored and the board had followed Lowes recommendation Hoddle would have returned and the managerial shambles would have been avoided. We can only speculate on where that would have lead the club but remember when Hoddle left we were 7th in the Premier League! Most of the anti Lowe brigade hate him for his background, they shouldn't forget the positive things he did at SFC.[/p][/quote]this has just made it to the top of the most idiotic posts ever list. for a start the slagging of off fellow saints fans, just because fans chant and sing doesn't make them `no brains`. actually most if not all seem to have more brains than you. the fans you are quite happy to call names, and I, could clearly see what lowe was doing to the club! you claim that if hoddle had been allowed to return then the managerial shambles would have been avoided? you fail to see or realise that the `managerial shambles` had been going on since the day lowe joined the club, souness and big mac quit because they couldn't work with lowe, mainly because he wanted a say in first team affairs and cut back drastically the budget he promised. dave jones forced out because of false accusations of abuse, no attempt to stop spuds taking hoddle, gray appointed and then sacked after 19 games, WGS left because lowe wouldn't give him time off for surgery, wigley 2 games, that's all before he wanted hoddle back, then sturrock 13 games, wigley again 17 games (winning just 3), he then appointed redkrapp (who the fans didn't really want, but were happy to get one over poopey), bassett & wise 3games, we could go on to the `letting go` of pearson and the appointing of the dutch pair! as I said, the shambles didn't start after the board wouldn't let him re-appoint hoddle (the board not the fans) if the board had given in he would have appointed hoddle again and thousands of fans would have walked away. I didn't hate lowe because of his background either, I hated him for destroying Southampton football club. I actually liked the appointing of sir clive and feel that given time he could have done a lot for the club, why after bringing sir clive on board did he sign redkrapp, who anyone could see wouldn't like him being there? you, like others, will also say that lowe sold players for big profits. as I said earlier, it wasn't great money it was fair prices though some were too cheap, but why was there no sell on clauses? the spuds chairman has said he `stole` bale from us and couldn't believe lowe didn't fight for a sell on clause! where did all the money from player sales go? we had survived in the top flight for years with, at times, some of the best players in the world. yet as soon as lowe comes in we sell all our best for millions despite having twice as many fans and more tv money we go into the red and eventually bust. where did all the money go? it didn't go into sms, that was built with a mortgage, and was being paid from ticket sales. millions came into the club but disappeared, where? if you cant see what lowe did to the club that's your fault, but don't have a go at the vast majority who could![/p][/quote]Could somebody translate this rant into English please? miltonarcher

7:14pm Mon 13 Jan 14

lowe esteem says...

ctsaint wrote:
itsnotjustice wrote:
What is the point of this article????

any true saints fan knows what went on ten years ago,fifteen years ago, twenty years ago...

rupert lowe was a chairman who did what he thought was best for HIM and didnt give a toss about the fans.

lets just forget about that clown, and praise strachan for what amazing thing he done for us at the time,and now move forward..

hillarious thing is though, i remember so many times reading all the anit cortese stuff on here.. at least we dont still have rupert the square.
Who appointed Strachan and funded the team that finished 8th and got to the cup final?
You...Me...certainly not Red Face...the only thing I will credit him with is getting Brown Sauce (for the pies) into the concourse...and that only after my mate's man to upper class twit discussion at the end of one of those pre-season fans propaganda -sorry 'open mic'- sessions.

For all the legal restrictions on public pronouncements put on Managers, Mr Strachan makes it very clear in his autobiography (wot 'e 'rote 'Arry!) that he was waiting for a slightly better offer from 'on high' that never came- so "the operation" clearly became more of a priority.
[quote][p][bold]ctsaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]itsnotjustice[/bold] wrote: What is the point of this article???? any true saints fan knows what went on ten years ago,fifteen years ago, twenty years ago... rupert lowe was a chairman who did what he thought was best for HIM and didnt give a toss about the fans. lets just forget about that clown, and praise strachan for what amazing thing he done for us at the time,and now move forward.. hillarious thing is though, i remember so many times reading all the anit cortese stuff on here.. at least we dont still have rupert the square.[/p][/quote]Who appointed Strachan and funded the team that finished 8th and got to the cup final?[/p][/quote]You...Me...certainly not Red Face...the only thing I will credit him with is getting Brown Sauce (for the pies) into the concourse...and that only after my mate's man to upper class twit discussion at the end of one of those pre-season fans propaganda -sorry 'open mic'- sessions. For all the legal restrictions on public pronouncements put on Managers, Mr Strachan makes it very clear in his autobiography (wot 'e 'rote 'Arry!) that he was waiting for a slightly better offer from 'on high' that never came- so "the operation" clearly became more of a priority. lowe esteem

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree