Saints are considering signing one new player before the transfer window closes on Friday, according to Mauricio Pochettino.
The club’s manager had previously indicated there would be no arrivals during January, but recent events appear to have changed his stance.
Pochettino, who has funds available to him, would not reveal what area Saints were looking to add in.
However, with Dani Osvaldo’s future deeply uncertain following his alleged headbutt on José Fonte, and Saints assistant boss Jesús Pérez having already claimed there are no plans to replace recently injured duo Dejan Lovren or Gastón Ramírez in the market, a striker would be many people’s bet.
“We are assessing several possibilities,” said Pochettino of where the club are searching. “We are working here in England, as well as abroad, and we will see if we have to make a decision.”
He added: “What we are assessing is the balance of the squad.
“Obviously, we have had people working with this and maybe we will see something in the next few days.”
The Saints boss also confirmed that Katharina Liebherr will make money available if an appropriate signing can be identified and pushed through.
“Yes, obviously, if we are to take a decision, they agree,” he said of the owner and the club’s hierarchy.
While Saints have no intention of selling any players they wish to keep, Osvaldo could well be jettisoned after last week’s training ground incident.
If he does go, Pochettino said the club would be ready to act.
“Of course, we are prepared for everything,” he said about the possibility of bringing in a direct replacement if Osvaldo did leave.
“We have got a great group of scouts working on it, and we are prepared for anything that can happen.”