ROMSEY eased their Hampshire League 1 relegation fears with a 25-12 victory over already relegated Overton.

They claimed a bonus point success that was desperately needed, with Dan Penn-Newman scoring two tries. Romsey now have a week’s break before facing title challengers Andover in their next game on April 5.

Both teams came out of the blocks hard, rocking each other back in the tackles.

Romsey’s back row trio of Ben Hewitt, Graham Lusty, and Tom Van Etten helped win turnovers.

Overton claimed the ball back after Romsey knocked on in the slippery conditions, and proceeded to push their way towards the try line. Heroic defences by the Romsey team, led by Nick Lawson, prevented Overton from scorin, but Overton regrouped and pushed over the line to score in the corner.

After a team-talk from captain Graham Lusty, Romsey pulled up their boot-straps and went after Overton. Dougal Trentham guided the backs into the holes and with strong carries from Matt Easton to suck in the defenders. The Overton line held off the repeated battering, but it was only a matter of time before it was breached, hooker Mike Peace scoring.

Continued on page 57 Romsey were swiftly on the accelerator pedal again and a magnificent break by Penn-Newman caused the Overton defence to turn as he glided through.

He was brought down, but Romsey’s players were already there. The ball was recycled quickly which allowed the forwards to churn the ball onwards. Following from the next quick ball, Penn-Newman scampered over the white wash for the score.

Second half substitute Duncan Cooper scored the next points for Romsey, grabbing a loose ball to touch down This spurred Overton on to ruin the Romsey party and a few tactical kicks from their 10 found Romsey defending their line. A quick bit of thinking from their scrum half and Overton got another score.

This was the fire that got Romsey going again more determined to get the result needed.

Winger Will Farthing made a series of great breaks from inside his own half, one of which set-up Penn-Newman’s second try. After a mazy run, Will was tackled inside Overton’s 22, the ball was recycled for the forwards to trundle on.

This was turned over only for Overton to lose the ball forward, giving a scrum. Number 8, Van Etten, scooped the ball up and broke blind with Penn-Newman in support, the latter going on to score one handed just inside the corner flag.

Romsey scored again late on through winger Gavin Harbour.

Jacob Connelly, had a great game coming off the bench.

Man of the Match was awarded to Nick Lawson, his excellent defensive work keepingt Romsey in the game and he carried the ball strongly and often.