Saints end season with United draw

Daily Echo: Saints end season with United draw Saints end season with United draw

On a day of potential farewells at St Mary's, Southampton and Manchester United ended their respective Premier League seasons with a 1-1 draw.

With Southampton guaranteeing an eighth-placed finish with a win at Swansea and United heading into the game with only the slightest possibility of qualifying for next season's Europa League, this game had long lost any meaningful intrigue as the two sides played out a 1-1 draw on the south coast.

Daily Echo:

The hosts dominated the opening 45 minutes and Rickie Lambert put Southampton into a deserved first-half lead, with a Juan Mata free-kick nine minutes after the interval enough to earn Ryan Giggs' side a share of the spoils.

But, if the two clubs meet early next season, the chances are a number of the main protagonists will have moved on to pastures new.

Daily Echo:

With the managerial futures of both Giggs and Southampton counterpart Mauricio Pochettino unclear, and speculation rife over the futures of several players, including captain Adam Lallana, it is going to be a big summer for both clubs.

The 26-year-old is reportedly the target of a big bid from Liverpool and Lallana, who picked up both the club's fans' and the players' player of the year awards earlier in the week as well as the Daily Echo award, once again showed how he can cut it against some of the best players in the league.

Related links

Giggs made seven changes from the midweek win over Hull for what will probably be his last match in charge as he recalled Nemanja Vidic for his final game for the Red Devils.

But it proved to be a torrid outing for the man who will be lining up for Inter Milan next year as he and his defensive partner Rio Ferdinand, another who could well be departing Old Trafford, struggled to contain Southampton's rampant frontmen in the opening 45 minutes.

Nathaniel Clyne, a possibility for Roy Hodgson's World Cup squad announcement on Monday, created the game's first chance as he crossed to Victor Wanyama who diverted the ball through to Lallana, but the Southampton captain could not steer a clever flick past David De Gea.

In front of the watching England manager, Lallana then crossed for World Cup hopeful Luke Shaw but the left-back could only head onto the roof of De Gea's net.

Lallana was proving to be the main catalyst in the hosts' attack and, after profiting from a mistake from the unsteady Vidic, he bent in an effort that De Gea once again was able to gather, but it was not too long before another England international was celebrating putting Southampton ahead.

Daily Echo:

Vidic could only head a long ball into the path of Steven Davis under pressure from Lambert, who was then picked out to slot home his 13th league goal of the season.

United's players gathered around Mike Dean after the award of the goal as Vidic had a bloody nose after the clash with Lambert in the build-up to the goal.

Southampton looked to capitalise on their opening goal and Lambert fired in another shot at the back post, with Chris Smalling diverting the effort behind for a corner.

United were able to spring a break from the resulting set-piece, with Jack Cork booked for pulling back the mauruading Adnan Januzaj.

Vidic was on the end of Mata's deep free-kick but could only head wide as he continued to mop blood away from his nose.

Vidic's final game for United continued to go wrong as the Serbia defender was booked for hauling down Lallana after losing his own footing, with Lambert's tame free-kick held comfortably by Dea Gea.

The ever-busy Lallana came close to creating a second for Southampton with five minutes of the first half remaining but his flash across goal just eluded the head of the onrushing Davis.

Giggs reacted to a mediocre first half by replacing Shinji Kagawa with Michael Carrick and, after his side had started the second-half on top, they soon drew level.

Danny Welbeck was bundled to the ground by Wanyama and Mata curled the resulting free-kick well out of the reach of Boruc.

The visitors almost took the lead moments later as Janujaz crossed unchallenged, with Welbeck only able to head over and, while Southampton continued to threaten, Vidic and Ferdinand were proving to be a much tougher nut to crack since the interval.

James Ward-Prowse replaced Lallana, with the Saints skipper receiving a standing ovation from the home fans in what could prove to be his swansong for the club.

Shaw, also linked with a potential departure after an impressive season, was the next to be afforded such an accolade as he made way for Calum Chambers with a little over 10 minutes remaining.

Those changes seemed to hand the impetus to United but, other than a late Welbeck chance, they could not muster a winning goal to potentially end the Giggs reign in style.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:18pm Sun 11 May 14

Strasbourg Saint says...

Well, it's been a terrific season. So much to be proud and happy about and my only gripe would be that if the midfield (Adam aside, of course) had contributed more goals in matches whilst we were dominating, the season would have been even better.

Now, let's hope for a brilliant summer - over to you, Katharina and Ralph .........
Well, it's been a terrific season. So much to be proud and happy about and my only gripe would be that if the midfield (Adam aside, of course) had contributed more goals in matches whilst we were dominating, the season would have been even better. Now, let's hope for a brilliant summer - over to you, Katharina and Ralph ......... Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 8

5:22pm Sun 11 May 14

Tony in Liberia says...

East to see the paps saying that AL & LS being taken off for ovations marks their leaving; could as easily be MoPo thinking they deserved a special clap.

Keep the faith - if the people behind the scenes decide to go for it and get bigger next season, then the lads will stay for at least another year and we'll see where the bar is set next. If they don't, then we'll lose a couple of players for a lot of money, get a couple new faces in, and probably end up the next couple of seasons about where we are now.

Either way, I love and support my team, and will continue to do so until the day I die.

Now let's look forward to the England squad, and I have a strong feeling that we are in for a few more seasons as good as and even better than this one!
East to see the paps saying that AL & LS being taken off for ovations marks their leaving; could as easily be MoPo thinking they deserved a special clap. Keep the faith - if the people behind the scenes decide to go for it and get bigger next season, then the lads will stay for at least another year and we'll see where the bar is set next. If they don't, then we'll lose a couple of players for a lot of money, get a couple new faces in, and probably end up the next couple of seasons about where we are now. Either way, I love and support my team, and will continue to do so until the day I die. Now let's look forward to the England squad, and I have a strong feeling that we are in for a few more seasons as good as and even better than this one! Tony in Liberia
  • Score: 11

5:22pm Sun 11 May 14

pompey in spain says...

first on?............oh well,have a safe summer all, and it all starts again sooner than you think...............
.PLAY UP POMPEY,POMPEY PLAY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
first on?............oh well,have a safe summer all, and it all starts again sooner than you think............... .PLAY UP POMPEY,POMPEY PLAY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! pompey in spain
  • Score: -15

5:29pm Sun 11 May 14

cpnhadock says...

Congratulations to the whole club for an incredible season!

The vision is being realised and our investment in young players is proving to be the right approach (For both club & country).

Enjoy the summer - our fingers are crossed for those pushing for World Cup spots!

To all of those linked with moves away - pochettino, Lallana, shaw, chambers, schneiderlin, lambert, corkie, j-rod, lovren.... STAY! The club has delivered on its five year plan - with your help, we can push further!!!....

Well done again!!! Can't wait till next season!!! COYR
Congratulations to the whole club for an incredible season! The vision is being realised and our investment in young players is proving to be the right approach (For both club & country). Enjoy the summer - our fingers are crossed for those pushing for World Cup spots! To all of those linked with moves away - pochettino, Lallana, shaw, chambers, schneiderlin, lambert, corkie, j-rod, lovren.... STAY! The club has delivered on its five year plan - with your help, we can push further!!!.... Well done again!!! Can't wait till next season!!! COYR cpnhadock
  • Score: 10

5:36pm Sun 11 May 14

bluewhiteandred says...

Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH . bluewhiteandred
  • Score: -27

5:41pm Sun 11 May 14

donni1437 says...

bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
You must be proud too then, well done
[quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]You must be proud too then, well done donni1437
  • Score: 1

6:05pm Sun 11 May 14

peregrine73 says...

Shaw and Lallana should provide a decent amount of cash to invest with squad improvements. Good luck to them,hope there dreams come true with there new clubs.
Shaw and Lallana should provide a decent amount of cash to invest with squad improvements. Good luck to them,hope there dreams come true with there new clubs. peregrine73
  • Score: -12

6:31pm Sun 11 May 14

promised land says...

bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.
[quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south. promised land
  • Score: 12

6:48pm Sun 11 May 14

el caballo santos101 says...

bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
and of course your main prem record of being the only prem team to go into admin and be the embarrassment of English football is still intact, and will probably stay that way for longer than your club exists!
you must be so proud!
[quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]and of course your main prem record of being the only prem team to go into admin and be the embarrassment of English football is still intact, and will probably stay that way for longer than your club exists! you must be so proud! el caballo santos101
  • Score: 7

6:51pm Sun 11 May 14

Strasbourg Saint says...

promised land wrote:
bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.
That's unfair, PL, they finished well above mighty Torquay (in the end).
[quote][p][bold]promised land[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.[/p][/quote]That's unfair, PL, they finished well above mighty Torquay (in the end). Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 7

7:12pm Sun 11 May 14

promised land says...

Strasbourg Saint wrote:
promised land wrote:
bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.
That's unfair, PL, they finished well above mighty Torquay (in the end).
Are Torquay a football club ? If so, then pompey can compare themselves with them if they like.
[quote][p][bold]Strasbourg Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]promised land[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.[/p][/quote]That's unfair, PL, they finished well above mighty Torquay (in the end).[/p][/quote]Are Torquay a football club ? If so, then pompey can compare themselves with them if they like. promised land
  • Score: 2

7:35pm Sun 11 May 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

A bit puzzled by people saying it was a drab game, I saw 90 minutes of decent football, good and bad decisions, bookings, shots on goal, goals, some delightful passing, Manure were a bit poor in the first half, but bringing Carrick on made an improvement and the free kick was a thing of beauty, not sure it wasn't a soft decision though. The game had little going for it and some players were not giving 100% for obvious reasons. I would have settled for the draw before the game and it seemed fair enough in the end.
The afters were enjoyable too, I admire the supporters for not running on the pitch and the numbers that stayed back is a tribute to the fans and the Club alike. Well done all of you.
A bit puzzled by people saying it was a drab game, I saw 90 minutes of decent football, good and bad decisions, bookings, shots on goal, goals, some delightful passing, Manure were a bit poor in the first half, but bringing Carrick on made an improvement and the free kick was a thing of beauty, not sure it wasn't a soft decision though. The game had little going for it and some players were not giving 100% for obvious reasons. I would have settled for the draw before the game and it seemed fair enough in the end. The afters were enjoyable too, I admire the supporters for not running on the pitch and the numbers that stayed back is a tribute to the fans and the Club alike. Well done all of you. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 11

8:06pm Sun 11 May 14

Strasbourg Saint says...

promised land wrote:
Strasbourg Saint wrote:
promised land wrote:
bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.
That's unfair, PL, they finished well above mighty Torquay (in the end).
Are Torquay a football club ? If so, then pompey can compare themselves with them if they like.
Now you're being unfair to mighty Torquay :-)
[quote][p][bold]promised land[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Strasbourg Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]promised land[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.[/p][/quote]That's unfair, PL, they finished well above mighty Torquay (in the end).[/p][/quote]Are Torquay a football club ? If so, then pompey can compare themselves with them if they like.[/p][/quote]Now you're being unfair to mighty Torquay :-) Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 3

8:10pm Sun 11 May 14

Strasbourg Saint says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
A bit puzzled by people saying it was a drab game, I saw 90 minutes of decent football, good and bad decisions, bookings, shots on goal, goals, some delightful passing, Manure were a bit poor in the first half, but bringing Carrick on made an improvement and the free kick was a thing of beauty, not sure it wasn't a soft decision though. The game had little going for it and some players were not giving 100% for obvious reasons. I would have settled for the draw before the game and it seemed fair enough in the end.
The afters were enjoyable too, I admire the supporters for not running on the pitch and the numbers that stayed back is a tribute to the fans and the Club alike. Well done all of you.
Nicely put, Ospers, glad you enjoyed it. I missed the best bits (went to an asparagus fayre, got caught in a really heavy downpour and got home late as the first half was drawing to a close.

The free kick was correct but the booking was harsh. Vic caught his knee by accident. Trust Mata to find his form against us ..... but I guess it doesn't ...... (sorry) ...... mata too much.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: A bit puzzled by people saying it was a drab game, I saw 90 minutes of decent football, good and bad decisions, bookings, shots on goal, goals, some delightful passing, Manure were a bit poor in the first half, but bringing Carrick on made an improvement and the free kick was a thing of beauty, not sure it wasn't a soft decision though. The game had little going for it and some players were not giving 100% for obvious reasons. I would have settled for the draw before the game and it seemed fair enough in the end. The afters were enjoyable too, I admire the supporters for not running on the pitch and the numbers that stayed back is a tribute to the fans and the Club alike. Well done all of you.[/p][/quote]Nicely put, Ospers, glad you enjoyed it. I missed the best bits (went to an asparagus fayre, got caught in a really heavy downpour and got home late as the first half was drawing to a close. The free kick was correct but the booking was harsh. Vic caught his knee by accident. Trust Mata to find his form against us ..... but I guess it doesn't ...... (sorry) ...... mata too much. Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 4

8:28pm Sun 11 May 14

SnapperSaint says...

bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
...and that was closely followed by the next record of how much can one team owe to so many debtors and how fast can they drop off the planet into obscurity...yep there's a lot to be proud of at Poopey!
[quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]...and that was closely followed by the next record of how much can one team owe to so many debtors and how fast can they drop off the planet into obscurity...yep there's a lot to be proud of at Poopey! SnapperSaint
  • Score: 5

9:22pm Sun 11 May 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Strasbourg Saint wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
A bit puzzled by people saying it was a drab game, I saw 90 minutes of decent football, good and bad decisions, bookings, shots on goal, goals, some delightful passing, Manure were a bit poor in the first half, but bringing Carrick on made an improvement and the free kick was a thing of beauty, not sure it wasn't a soft decision though. The game had little going for it and some players were not giving 100% for obvious reasons. I would have settled for the draw before the game and it seemed fair enough in the end.
The afters were enjoyable too, I admire the supporters for not running on the pitch and the numbers that stayed back is a tribute to the fans and the Club alike. Well done all of you.
Nicely put, Ospers, glad you enjoyed it. I missed the best bits (went to an asparagus fayre, got caught in a really heavy downpour and got home late as the first half was drawing to a close.

The free kick was correct but the booking was harsh. Vic caught his knee by accident. Trust Mata to find his form against us ..... but I guess it doesn't ...... (sorry) ...... mata too much.
Didn't realise it was the Sky Choice game and missed the Lambo goal, but I thought Commentators were supposed to be neutral, these two are totally pro Manure and it is spoiling watching the game for me.
[quote][p][bold]Strasbourg Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: A bit puzzled by people saying it was a drab game, I saw 90 minutes of decent football, good and bad decisions, bookings, shots on goal, goals, some delightful passing, Manure were a bit poor in the first half, but bringing Carrick on made an improvement and the free kick was a thing of beauty, not sure it wasn't a soft decision though. The game had little going for it and some players were not giving 100% for obvious reasons. I would have settled for the draw before the game and it seemed fair enough in the end. The afters were enjoyable too, I admire the supporters for not running on the pitch and the numbers that stayed back is a tribute to the fans and the Club alike. Well done all of you.[/p][/quote]Nicely put, Ospers, glad you enjoyed it. I missed the best bits (went to an asparagus fayre, got caught in a really heavy downpour and got home late as the first half was drawing to a close. The free kick was correct but the booking was harsh. Vic caught his knee by accident. Trust Mata to find his form against us ..... but I guess it doesn't ...... (sorry) ...... mata too much.[/p][/quote]Didn't realise it was the Sky Choice game and missed the Lambo goal, but I thought Commentators were supposed to be neutral, these two are totally pro Manure and it is spoiling watching the game for me. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 2

9:26pm Sun 11 May 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Strasbourg Saint wrote:
promised land wrote:
Strasbourg Saint wrote:
promised land wrote:
bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.
That's unfair, PL, they finished well above mighty Torquay (in the end).
Are Torquay a football club ? If so, then pompey can compare themselves with them if they like.
Now you're being unfair to mighty Torquay :-)
Didn't Torquay take 4 points off of the mighty skates? I am sure they won 1 - nil at Nottarf.
[quote][p][bold]Strasbourg Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]promised land[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Strasbourg Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]promised land[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]Never been as low in the league as you and for so long. Pompey lowest team in Hampshire. No wait.....in the south.[/p][/quote]That's unfair, PL, they finished well above mighty Torquay (in the end).[/p][/quote]Are Torquay a football club ? If so, then pompey can compare themselves with them if they like.[/p][/quote]Now you're being unfair to mighty Torquay :-)[/p][/quote]Didn't Torquay take 4 points off of the mighty skates? I am sure they won 1 - nil at Nottarf. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 2

9:30pm Sun 11 May 14

batesieboy says...

They are just gaily supporting all their plastic viewers, that's all.
They are just gaily supporting all their plastic viewers, that's all. batesieboy
  • Score: 1

9:40pm Sun 11 May 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Strasbourg Saint wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
A bit puzzled by people saying it was a drab game, I saw 90 minutes of decent football, good and bad decisions, bookings, shots on goal, goals, some delightful passing, Manure were a bit poor in the first half, but bringing Carrick on made an improvement and the free kick was a thing of beauty, not sure it wasn't a soft decision though. The game had little going for it and some players were not giving 100% for obvious reasons. I would have settled for the draw before the game and it seemed fair enough in the end.
The afters were enjoyable too, I admire the supporters for not running on the pitch and the numbers that stayed back is a tribute to the fans and the Club alike. Well done all of you.
Nicely put, Ospers, glad you enjoyed it. I missed the best bits (went to an asparagus fayre, got caught in a really heavy downpour and got home late as the first half was drawing to a close.

The free kick was correct but the booking was harsh. Vic caught his knee by accident. Trust Mata to find his form against us ..... but I guess it doesn't ...... (sorry) ...... mata too much.
Yes, just seen Vics challenge and it seemed he was attempting to kick the ball, but Welbecks knee got in the way, fair enough, it's a pity Mata picked today to score a Worldy. I have no complaints about the game or the result in the end.
[quote][p][bold]Strasbourg Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: A bit puzzled by people saying it was a drab game, I saw 90 minutes of decent football, good and bad decisions, bookings, shots on goal, goals, some delightful passing, Manure were a bit poor in the first half, but bringing Carrick on made an improvement and the free kick was a thing of beauty, not sure it wasn't a soft decision though. The game had little going for it and some players were not giving 100% for obvious reasons. I would have settled for the draw before the game and it seemed fair enough in the end. The afters were enjoyable too, I admire the supporters for not running on the pitch and the numbers that stayed back is a tribute to the fans and the Club alike. Well done all of you.[/p][/quote]Nicely put, Ospers, glad you enjoyed it. I missed the best bits (went to an asparagus fayre, got caught in a really heavy downpour and got home late as the first half was drawing to a close. The free kick was correct but the booking was harsh. Vic caught his knee by accident. Trust Mata to find his form against us ..... but I guess it doesn't ...... (sorry) ...... mata too much.[/p][/quote]Yes, just seen Vics challenge and it seemed he was attempting to kick the ball, but Welbecks knee got in the way, fair enough, it's a pity Mata picked today to score a Worldy. I have no complaints about the game or the result in the end. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 1

11:02pm Sun 11 May 14

Clever Dick says...

SnapperSaint wrote:
bluewhiteandred wrote:
Pompey record intact pup. close shave
Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha
One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .
...and that was closely followed by the next record of how much can one team owe to so many debtors and how fast can they drop off the planet into obscurity...yep there's a lot to be proud of at Poopey!
And of course the record for the most charity boxes thieved from. The embarrassment of the south doesn't come close to describing them.
[quote][p][bold]SnapperSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bluewhiteandred[/bold] wrote: Pompey record intact pup. close shave Saints failed to beat Pompey s highest position of 8th and 57 points in the premier league today after leading MAN Utd 1-0 it ended 1-1 . ha ha ha ha One most successful team in Hampshire PORTSMOUTH .[/p][/quote]...and that was closely followed by the next record of how much can one team owe to so many debtors and how fast can they drop off the planet into obscurity...yep there's a lot to be proud of at Poopey![/p][/quote]And of course the record for the most charity boxes thieved from. The embarrassment of the south doesn't come close to describing them. Clever Dick
  • Score: 1

8:44am Mon 12 May 14

NC Fan4Life says...

OK Les & Ralph the season is over so get the manager to sign a contract extension today, should have done it before but don't let it go on. Otherwise you should have a contingency list of replacements to appoint from so do it quickly. This is the priority so the players know who is in charge.
DO NOT SELL ADAM OR LUKE BEFORE THE WORLD CUP, if you can't convince them to stay at least one more season then at least we would get more for them after the World Cup and the more Saints players represented, the higher is Saints profile to attract the targets to come.
OK Les & Ralph the season is over so get the manager to sign a contract extension today, should have done it before but don't let it go on. Otherwise you should have a contingency list of replacements to appoint from so do it quickly. This is the priority so the players know who is in charge. DO NOT SELL ADAM OR LUKE BEFORE THE WORLD CUP, if you can't convince them to stay at least one more season then at least we would get more for them after the World Cup and the more Saints players represented, the higher is Saints profile to attract the targets to come. NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 0

9:03am Mon 12 May 14

jls217 says...

Neither of them are out of contract so nobody has to convince them to stay one more season. If Saints tell them they're staying to see out their contract or for the next season at least then they have a decision to make. Sulk and spend the season in the reserves (which will harm their case when it eventually comes to discussing contract with Laundereddosh Rovers) or knuckling down like the pros they are, getting a few more caps, maybe a cup run and a top six finish with us with them contributing and therefore pushing up their price and wages bargaining power when THE CLUB decides to sell them to Dirtydollars FC.
Neither of them are out of contract so nobody has to convince them to stay one more season. If Saints tell them they're staying to see out their contract or for the next season at least then they have a decision to make. Sulk and spend the season in the reserves (which will harm their case when it eventually comes to discussing contract with Laundereddosh Rovers) or knuckling down like the pros they are, getting a few more caps, maybe a cup run and a top six finish with us with them contributing and therefore pushing up their price and wages bargaining power when THE CLUB decides to sell them to Dirtydollars FC. jls217
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree