Saints fans hit out at 'scandalous' ticket prices at Stamford Bridge to see Chelsea v Southampton

Stamford Bridge

Stamford Bridge

First published in Premier League Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor

SCANDALOUS – that’s the verdict of disgusted Saints fans being asked to pay £50 to watch their club in action at Chelsea tonight.

Just days after Manchester City failed to sell out their allocation of £62 tickets at Arsenal, so Saints supporters are again being hammered in their pockets.

Saints travel to Stamford Bridge for tonight’s re-arranged Premier League clash, with tickets £47 for visiting fans in the lower tier and £50 for the upper tier.

It is the second time this season that Saints fans have been asked to pay £50 - they were charged £51 and £49 at, ironically, Manchester City on the opening day of the season. Due to the high price of tickets and the fact the game comes just four days after a trip to Aston Villa, Saints’ travelling army is expected to be reduced in numbers tonight.

Mike O’Callaghan, chairman of the Southampton Independent Supporters Association, said it was “scandalous” that Chelsea are charging Saints fans that much.

“It would be nice if the Premier League brought in a price cap for away tickets,” he said.

“I think £35 tops is a fair, realistic figure. That’s around what we charged Chelsea, so that’s what they should charge us.”

O’Callaghan added: “I can’t afford to go tonight.

“I’m 54 and I’ve been priced out of watching my club.

“It’s a crying shame. The working class man has been priced out of watching football, and it’s not fair when players in the Premier League are being paid £150,000 a week.

“I know it’s only London, but you’re looking at £150 for a Saints fan to travel to Chelsea, pay to get in, and some food and drink.”

Nick Illingsworth, from the fans website UglyInside, said the cost of a ticket was also a primary factor for keeping him away from Stamford Bridge tonight.

“We went to Aston Villa last weekend and that was £35 for a ticket, plus about £30 to get there.

“Tonight it would cost £50 to get in, plus another £30 on travel if you have a railcard.

“That’s over £140 just to get to two away games and get in in the space of four days.

“I’m going to do what a lot of fans are doing, which is watch it in a pub in Southampton.”

Saints have two more away trips coming up at the end of the month, at Manchester United on a Wednesday and Wigan the following Saturday.

Though United is the more glamorous game, it is Wigan which could see the bigger Saints following – for price reasons as well as footballing ones.

“Tickets at United are £46 but at Wigan they are only £20,” said Illingsworth.

“Which one would you go to?” he asked. “Wigan is a far more important game for us.”

Illingsworth added: “We should all get behind the Football Supporters Federation who are lobbying the Premier League.

“Fans must stand up and say ‘enough is enough’.

“Grounds aren’t being filled as much as they used to be.

“When we played Reading in December the crowd was down on when we played them in the Championship last season.

“Though the game last April was more important at the time, it was live on Sky and Reading brought 3,000 fans.

“They brought less in December but still the attendance was down.”

Manchester City fans angered at Arsenal’s pricing policy face another huge cost later this month, meanwhile.

QPR are charging City fans £55, compared to Saints who are ‘only’ charging £38 for the champions’ visit to St Mary’s on February 9.

Kevin Parker of the City Supporters’ Group, said: “Some clubs are losing touch with the ordinary man.”

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:10am Wed 16 Jan 13

anderoo says...

Again, its the so called 'Top 4 clubs' ripping off the fans of smaller clubs. Arsenal charged Man City £62 last week, but in september, Saints fans were charged £25. And when we go to Wigan.....its £20. Another thing that annoys me is that the allocation of tickets for Saints fans at away games, i don't think we have had more than 2,000 tickets at any of the bigger stadia, but we have given well over that to the bigger clubs. Would love to know what the percentage allocation for away fans is in the PL.
Again, its the so called 'Top 4 clubs' ripping off the fans of smaller clubs. Arsenal charged Man City £62 last week, but in september, Saints fans were charged £25. And when we go to Wigan.....its £20. Another thing that annoys me is that the allocation of tickets for Saints fans at away games, i don't think we have had more than 2,000 tickets at any of the bigger stadia, but we have given well over that to the bigger clubs. Would love to know what the percentage allocation for away fans is in the PL. anderoo
  • Score: 0

9:19am Wed 16 Jan 13

costa gaz says...

The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry.
Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise.
This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting.
Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.
The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry. Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise. This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting. Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats. costa gaz
  • Score: 0

9:31am Wed 16 Jan 13

leo210856 says...

EP clubs have to charge the same for away supporters as they do for home supporters is seats of a similar standard. Its a logical approach.
Southampton will have been offered a lot more than 2000 tickets for tonghts game but in reality is that the relative short notice given for this re arranged game will mean it probably wont sell out.
When the big clubs come to town , as it were , the smaller clubs put their ticket prices up. Southampton are no different supporters of Man U, Man City, Liverpool , Arsenal, & Chelsea will pay about 20% more to watch their team at Southamton compared to say Reading and Wigan
In truth prices are too high but then again I think lots of things cost too much including the price of Echo!
EP clubs have to charge the same for away supporters as they do for home supporters is seats of a similar standard. Its a logical approach. Southampton will have been offered a lot more than 2000 tickets for tonghts game but in reality is that the relative short notice given for this re arranged game will mean it probably wont sell out. When the big clubs come to town , as it were , the smaller clubs put their ticket prices up. Southampton are no different supporters of Man U, Man City, Liverpool , Arsenal, & Chelsea will pay about 20% more to watch their team at Southamton compared to say Reading and Wigan In truth prices are too high but then again I think lots of things cost too much including the price of Echo! leo210856
  • Score: 0

9:42am Wed 16 Jan 13

Mush On The Beach says...

costa gaz wrote:
The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry.
Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise.
This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting.
Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.
So you didn’t idolise any players when you were growing up? That has always been so.
I don’t think you should be calling fans mugs for loyally following their team either.
What I do agree with you on is that ticket prices are bordering on extortion.
I don’t see that changing any time soon, especially with the uefa fair play regulations coming into the equation on revenue streams.
[quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry. Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise. This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting. Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.[/p][/quote]So you didn’t idolise any players when you were growing up? That has always been so. I don’t think you should be calling fans mugs for loyally following their team either. What I do agree with you on is that ticket prices are bordering on extortion. I don’t see that changing any time soon, especially with the uefa fair play regulations coming into the equation on revenue streams. Mush On The Beach
  • Score: 0

9:56am Wed 16 Jan 13

coysforever says...

Perhaps tit for tat is the answer. What if we charge the same prices and give the same proportionate allocations as the other team does for our away visits.

However I suspect there are "rules and regs" stopping this!

COYS
Perhaps tit for tat is the answer. What if we charge the same prices and give the same proportionate allocations as the other team does for our away visits. However I suspect there are "rules and regs" stopping this! COYS coysforever
  • Score: 0

10:03am Wed 16 Jan 13

Just another reader says...

Ironically the home fan tickets are priced at £15 in some of the better areas.
Ironically the home fan tickets are priced at £15 in some of the better areas. Just another reader
  • Score: 0

10:13am Wed 16 Jan 13

Gimboid says...

How exactly is Nick Illingsworth watching the game at a pub - I thought it wasn't on TV?
How exactly is Nick Illingsworth watching the game at a pub - I thought it wasn't on TV? Gimboid
  • Score: 0

10:16am Wed 16 Jan 13

three halves says...

All the time idiots are willing to pay these prices nothing will change, the £62 City fans had to shell out is unbelievable.
All the time idiots are willing to pay these prices nothing will change, the £62 City fans had to shell out is unbelievable. three halves
  • Score: 0

10:18am Wed 16 Jan 13

anderoo says...

Gimboid wrote:
How exactly is Nick Illingsworth watching the game at a pub - I thought it wasn't on TV?
Probably in a pub using Sky Italia, unless its on ESPN
[quote][p][bold]Gimboid[/bold] wrote: How exactly is Nick Illingsworth watching the game at a pub - I thought it wasn't on TV?[/p][/quote]Probably in a pub using Sky Italia, unless its on ESPN anderoo
  • Score: 0

10:20am Wed 16 Jan 13

petethephantom says...

last year when i flew over from sydney to watch saints beat coventry 4-0 to get back into the promised land ..... i also watched chelsea v newcastle, the ticket cost me 55 pounds ( ozzie $95) and i was on the western side in line with the goal posts..... but sice i travelled i wanted to see it but i still thought where i was sitting was a ripp off,,,,,,, and newcastle won 2-0 as well

coyr
last year when i flew over from sydney to watch saints beat coventry 4-0 to get back into the promised land ..... i also watched chelsea v newcastle, the ticket cost me 55 pounds ( ozzie $95) and i was on the western side in line with the goal posts..... but sice i travelled i wanted to see it but i still thought where i was sitting was a ripp off,,,,,,, and newcastle won 2-0 as well coyr petethephantom
  • Score: 0

10:25am Wed 16 Jan 13

leo210856 says...

Just another reader wrote:
Ironically the home fan tickets are priced at £15 in some of the better areas.
£15 tickets will be the concessions the igures mentioned on here (£50 &£4 are the full price adult tickets
[quote][p][bold]Just another reader[/bold] wrote: Ironically the home fan tickets are priced at £15 in some of the better areas.[/p][/quote]£15 tickets will be the concessions the igures mentioned on here (£50 &£4 are the full price adult tickets leo210856
  • Score: 0

10:35am Wed 16 Jan 13

leo210856 says...

Gimboid wrote:
How exactly is Nick Illingsworth watching the game at a pub - I thought it wasn't on TV?
It will be on a foreign stream.Not illegal to have a forein decoder but all EPL games now have a logo on screen which is subject to copyright and any pub etc showing without permission could be subject to costly proccedings
[quote][p][bold]Gimboid[/bold] wrote: How exactly is Nick Illingsworth watching the game at a pub - I thought it wasn't on TV?[/p][/quote]It will be on a foreign stream.Not illegal to have a forein decoder but all EPL games now have a logo on screen which is subject to copyright and any pub etc showing without permission could be subject to costly proccedings leo210856
  • Score: 0

10:36am Wed 16 Jan 13

leo210856 says...

Gimboid wrote:
How exactly is Nick Illingsworth watching the game at a pub - I thought it wasn't on TV?
It will be on a foreign stream.Not illegal to have a forein decoder but all EPL games now have a logo on screen which is subject to copyright and any pub etc showing without permission could be subject to costly proccedings for breach of copyright.
[quote][p][bold]Gimboid[/bold] wrote: How exactly is Nick Illingsworth watching the game at a pub - I thought it wasn't on TV?[/p][/quote]It will be on a foreign stream.Not illegal to have a forein decoder but all EPL games now have a logo on screen which is subject to copyright and any pub etc showing without permission could be subject to costly proccedings for breach of copyright. leo210856
  • Score: 0

10:52am Wed 16 Jan 13

costa gaz says...

Mush On The Beach wrote:
costa gaz wrote:
The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry.
Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise.
This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting.
Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.
So you didn’t idolise any players when you were growing up? That has always been so.
I don’t think you should be calling fans mugs for loyally following their team either.
What I do agree with you on is that ticket prices are bordering on extortion.
I don’t see that changing any time soon, especially with the uefa fair play regulations coming into the equation on revenue streams.
I suppose i had idols when I was a small boy supporting the saints, but it was much different then, the players then had much more in common with the fans.
What I don't get is middle aged pot bellied men wearing their teams colours with their favourite players name on the back, thinking they look cool.
These people are just putting more money into footballs bulging pot, probably the same people who moan about ticket prices.
The product seems to be recession proof and while the demand is still there, the prices will continue to rise.

Just read, here in Spain, that if Pep Guardiola ends up at Citeh, his wages will be 24,000,000€ per year, this is why fans pay £50 per game.
[quote][p][bold]Mush On The Beach[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry. Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise. This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting. Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.[/p][/quote]So you didn’t idolise any players when you were growing up? That has always been so. I don’t think you should be calling fans mugs for loyally following their team either. What I do agree with you on is that ticket prices are bordering on extortion. I don’t see that changing any time soon, especially with the uefa fair play regulations coming into the equation on revenue streams.[/p][/quote]I suppose i had idols when I was a small boy supporting the saints, but it was much different then, the players then had much more in common with the fans. What I don't get is middle aged pot bellied men wearing their teams colours with their favourite players name on the back, thinking they look cool. These people are just putting more money into footballs bulging pot, probably the same people who moan about ticket prices. The product seems to be recession proof and while the demand is still there, the prices will continue to rise. Just read, here in Spain, that if Pep Guardiola ends up at Citeh, his wages will be 24,000,000€ per year, this is why fans pay £50 per game. costa gaz
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Wed 16 Jan 13

G0Rf says...

Football tickets are too expensive because the players get paid too much, they should have a cap on wages!
Football tickets are too expensive because the players get paid too much, they should have a cap on wages! G0Rf
  • Score: 0

2:12pm Wed 16 Jan 13

CB FRY LIVES says...

Chelsea are a disgrace.Rotten from top to bottom.Abramovich is the worse thing to come out of the old soviet union since josef stalin.
Chelsea are a disgrace.Rotten from top to bottom.Abramovich is the worse thing to come out of the old soviet union since josef stalin. CB FRY LIVES
  • Score: 0

2:37pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Mush On The Beach says...

costa gaz wrote:
Mush On The Beach wrote:
costa gaz wrote:
The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry.
Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise.
This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting.
Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.
So you didn’t idolise any players when you were growing up? That has always been so.
I don’t think you should be calling fans mugs for loyally following their team either.
What I do agree with you on is that ticket prices are bordering on extortion.
I don’t see that changing any time soon, especially with the uefa fair play regulations coming into the equation on revenue streams.
I suppose i had idols when I was a small boy supporting the saints, but it was much different then, the players then had much more in common with the fans.
What I don't get is middle aged pot bellied men wearing their teams colours with their favourite players name on the back, thinking they look cool.
These people are just putting more money into footballs bulging pot, probably the same people who moan about ticket prices.
The product seems to be recession proof and while the demand is still there, the prices will continue to rise.

Just read, here in Spain, that if Pep Guardiola ends up at Citeh, his wages will be 24,000,000€ per year, this is why fans pay £50 per game.
Gaz, I believe there is an old saying “Time stands still for no man”.
I’m neither defending or attacking the way it is, but you cannot live in the past.
TV money keeps it recession proof and the world stage is in love with the product.

I have a Saints shirt with Mush on the back and am not ashamed to admit it.
However, unlike Seed, Mack, Strassie, Slugger, Bill and the rest of those old slovenly over 25’s ...... I don’t have a pot belly :)
[quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mush On The Beach[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry. Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise. This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting. Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.[/p][/quote]So you didn’t idolise any players when you were growing up? That has always been so. I don’t think you should be calling fans mugs for loyally following their team either. What I do agree with you on is that ticket prices are bordering on extortion. I don’t see that changing any time soon, especially with the uefa fair play regulations coming into the equation on revenue streams.[/p][/quote]I suppose i had idols when I was a small boy supporting the saints, but it was much different then, the players then had much more in common with the fans. What I don't get is middle aged pot bellied men wearing their teams colours with their favourite players name on the back, thinking they look cool. These people are just putting more money into footballs bulging pot, probably the same people who moan about ticket prices. The product seems to be recession proof and while the demand is still there, the prices will continue to rise. Just read, here in Spain, that if Pep Guardiola ends up at Citeh, his wages will be 24,000,000€ per year, this is why fans pay £50 per game.[/p][/quote]Gaz, I believe there is an old saying “Time stands still for no man”. I’m neither defending or attacking the way it is, but you cannot live in the past. TV money keeps it recession proof and the world stage is in love with the product. I have a Saints shirt with Mush on the back and am not ashamed to admit it. However, unlike Seed, Mack, Strassie, Slugger, Bill and the rest of those old slovenly over 25’s ...... I don’t have a pot belly :) Mush On The Beach
  • Score: 0

2:42pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Mush On The Beach says...

G0Rf wrote:
Football tickets are too expensive because the players get paid too much, they should have a cap on wages!
A Cap will never be enforceable in Europe. My own opinion of the salary problem:

The Bosman Ruling 1995 ...... with EU football players given the right to a free transfer at the end of their contracts, with the provision that they were transferring from a club within one EU Association to a club within another EU Association.

Cha Ching!!! the money and power moved away from the clubs and into the players pockets.
[quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: Football tickets are too expensive because the players get paid too much, they should have a cap on wages![/p][/quote]A Cap will never be enforceable in Europe. My own opinion of the salary problem: The Bosman Ruling 1995 ...... with EU football players given the right to a free transfer at the end of their contracts, with the provision that they were transferring from a club within one EU Association to a club within another EU Association. Cha Ching!!! the money and power moved away from the clubs and into the players pockets. Mush On The Beach
  • Score: 0

2:59pm Wed 16 Jan 13

batesieboy says...

Mush On The Beach wrote:
G0Rf wrote:
Football tickets are too expensive because the players get paid too much, they should have a cap on wages!
A Cap will never be enforceable in Europe. My own opinion of the salary problem:

The Bosman Ruling 1995 ...... with EU football players given the right to a free transfer at the end of their contracts, with the provision that they were transferring from a club within one EU Association to a club within another EU Association.

Cha Ching!!! the money and power moved away from the clubs and into the players pockets.
....and agents...and bungs....
[quote][p][bold]Mush On The Beach[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: Football tickets are too expensive because the players get paid too much, they should have a cap on wages![/p][/quote]A Cap will never be enforceable in Europe. My own opinion of the salary problem: The Bosman Ruling 1995 ...... with EU football players given the right to a free transfer at the end of their contracts, with the provision that they were transferring from a club within one EU Association to a club within another EU Association. Cha Ching!!! the money and power moved away from the clubs and into the players pockets.[/p][/quote]....and agents...and bungs.... batesieboy
  • Score: 0

3:09pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Mush On The Beach says...

batesieboy wrote:
Mush On The Beach wrote:
G0Rf wrote:
Football tickets are too expensive because the players get paid too much, they should have a cap on wages!
A Cap will never be enforceable in Europe. My own opinion of the salary problem:

The Bosman Ruling 1995 ...... with EU football players given the right to a free transfer at the end of their contracts, with the provision that they were transferring from a club within one EU Association to a club within another EU Association.

Cha Ching!!! the money and power moved away from the clubs and into the players pockets.
....and agents...and bungs....
Bungs were around in Cloughie’s day, allegedly.
Yes Agents, agreed, but they were just a bi-product and niche created by the change in the balance of power.
[quote][p][bold]batesieboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mush On The Beach[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G0Rf[/bold] wrote: Football tickets are too expensive because the players get paid too much, they should have a cap on wages![/p][/quote]A Cap will never be enforceable in Europe. My own opinion of the salary problem: The Bosman Ruling 1995 ...... with EU football players given the right to a free transfer at the end of their contracts, with the provision that they were transferring from a club within one EU Association to a club within another EU Association. Cha Ching!!! the money and power moved away from the clubs and into the players pockets.[/p][/quote]....and agents...and bungs....[/p][/quote]Bungs were around in Cloughie’s day, allegedly. Yes Agents, agreed, but they were just a bi-product and niche created by the change in the balance of power. Mush On The Beach
  • Score: 0

4:13pm Wed 16 Jan 13

billythesaint says...

As long as people pay the prices the clubs will do it. The solution is boycott the game if you are against it but who will want to miss out? It sucks but that's the way the world works these days. We're all getting mugged left, right and centre whether it be the bank, the government or our football teams. The rich minority get richer because they are in charge of everything and us common blokes put up with it.
As long as people pay the prices the clubs will do it. The solution is boycott the game if you are against it but who will want to miss out? It sucks but that's the way the world works these days. We're all getting mugged left, right and centre whether it be the bank, the government or our football teams. The rich minority get richer because they are in charge of everything and us common blokes put up with it. billythesaint
  • Score: 0

4:15pm Wed 16 Jan 13

SO50 Saint says...

The last few seasons i've rarely missed an away game but this just been to Arsenal and Stoke so far and will be going to Wigan. Prices are definitely the main reason for this
The last few seasons i've rarely missed an away game but this just been to Arsenal and Stoke so far and will be going to Wigan. Prices are definitely the main reason for this SO50 Saint
  • Score: 0

4:45pm Wed 16 Jan 13

durkiboy says...

Yes, PL pricing is at best disparative, but, when you look at the wages etc PL teams pay, they have to recoup it somehow, and the obvious way is through ticket prices. It's the "supply & demand" logic. I'm a Crewe fan, and our ticket prices have risen, but still at a reasonable level, infact the tickets for the Northern Area Final of the JPT @ Coventry are £5 - not bad value. Yes, boycott the matches in protest at ticket prices, but what good would this do, would it not force ticket prices, season tickets etc up in the long run as the club would have to recoup the lost revenue via other streams.
Yes, PL pricing is at best disparative, but, when you look at the wages etc PL teams pay, they have to recoup it somehow, and the obvious way is through ticket prices. It's the "supply & demand" logic. I'm a Crewe fan, and our ticket prices have risen, but still at a reasonable level, infact the tickets for the Northern Area Final of the JPT @ Coventry are £5 - not bad value. Yes, boycott the matches in protest at ticket prices, but what good would this do, would it not force ticket prices, season tickets etc up in the long run as the club would have to recoup the lost revenue via other streams. durkiboy
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Wed 16 Jan 13

warrens 76 says...

Mush On The Beach wrote:
costa gaz wrote:
Mush On The Beach wrote:
costa gaz wrote:
The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry.
Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise.
This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting.
Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.
So you didn’t idolise any players when you were growing up? That has always been so.
I don’t think you should be calling fans mugs for loyally following their team either.
What I do agree with you on is that ticket prices are bordering on extortion.
I don’t see that changing any time soon, especially with the uefa fair play regulations coming into the equation on revenue streams.
I suppose i had idols when I was a small boy supporting the saints, but it was much different then, the players then had much more in common with the fans.
What I don't get is middle aged pot bellied men wearing their teams colours with their favourite players name on the back, thinking they look cool.
These people are just putting more money into footballs bulging pot, probably the same people who moan about ticket prices.
The product seems to be recession proof and while the demand is still there, the prices will continue to rise.

Just read, here in Spain, that if Pep Guardiola ends up at Citeh, his wages will be 24,000,000€ per year, this is why fans pay £50 per game.
Gaz, I believe there is an old saying “Time stands still for no man”.
I’m neither defending or attacking the way it is, but you cannot live in the past.
TV money keeps it recession proof and the world stage is in love with the product.

I have a Saints shirt with Mush on the back and am not ashamed to admit it.
However, unlike Seed, Mack, Strassie, Slugger, Bill and the rest of those old slovenly over 25’s ...... I don’t have a pot belly :)
I have the body of a god..Buddha.
[quote][p][bold]Mush On The Beach[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mush On The Beach[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]costa gaz[/bold] wrote: The game is all about money and it is sucking mug footy fans dry. Until fans stop worshipping their celebrity hero's the prices will continue to rise. This has been a twenty year bubble that is showing no signs of bursting. Personally I hope the bubble does burst, so we can get back to real fans watching real footballers, not these self important, egotistical, 2hats.[/p][/quote]So you didn’t idolise any players when you were growing up? That has always been so. I don’t think you should be calling fans mugs for loyally following their team either. What I do agree with you on is that ticket prices are bordering on extortion. I don’t see that changing any time soon, especially with the uefa fair play regulations coming into the equation on revenue streams.[/p][/quote]I suppose i had idols when I was a small boy supporting the saints, but it was much different then, the players then had much more in common with the fans. What I don't get is middle aged pot bellied men wearing their teams colours with their favourite players name on the back, thinking they look cool. These people are just putting more money into footballs bulging pot, probably the same people who moan about ticket prices. The product seems to be recession proof and while the demand is still there, the prices will continue to rise. Just read, here in Spain, that if Pep Guardiola ends up at Citeh, his wages will be 24,000,000€ per year, this is why fans pay £50 per game.[/p][/quote]Gaz, I believe there is an old saying “Time stands still for no man”. I’m neither defending or attacking the way it is, but you cannot live in the past. TV money keeps it recession proof and the world stage is in love with the product. I have a Saints shirt with Mush on the back and am not ashamed to admit it. However, unlike Seed, Mack, Strassie, Slugger, Bill and the rest of those old slovenly over 25’s ...... I don’t have a pot belly :)[/p][/quote]I have the body of a god..Buddha. warrens 76
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Eastbourne Outpost says...

The best way to send a message is to match other clubs away fan prices next year. How will Chelsea fans feel when they will pay £50 to visit SMS???
The best way to send a message is to match other clubs away fan prices next year. How will Chelsea fans feel when they will pay £50 to visit SMS??? Eastbourne Outpost
  • Score: 0

7:32pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Skating on thin ice says...

Eastbourne Outpost wrote:
The best way to send a message is to match other clubs away fan prices next year. How will Chelsea fans feel when they will pay £50 to visit SMS???
They'll be outraged. Especially as you won't have a game against them. You'll be a division below them.
[quote][p][bold]Eastbourne Outpost[/bold] wrote: The best way to send a message is to match other clubs away fan prices next year. How will Chelsea fans feel when they will pay £50 to visit SMS???[/p][/quote]They'll be outraged. Especially as you won't have a game against them. You'll be a division below them. Skating on thin ice
  • Score: 0

7:35pm Wed 16 Jan 13

Skating on thin ice says...

durkiboy wrote:
Yes, PL pricing is at best disparative, but, when you look at the wages etc PL teams pay, they have to recoup it somehow, and the obvious way is through ticket prices. It's the "supply & demand" logic. I'm a Crewe fan, and our ticket prices have risen, but still at a reasonable level, infact the tickets for the Northern Area Final of the JPT @ Coventry are £5 - not bad value. Yes, boycott the matches in protest at ticket prices, but what good would this do, would it not force ticket prices, season tickets etc up in the long run as the club would have to recoup the lost revenue via other streams.
Now that really is extortion of supporters. £5 to see the area final of the Johnsons Paint Pot Atrophy. Not worth more than 50p.
[quote][p][bold]durkiboy[/bold] wrote: Yes, PL pricing is at best disparative, but, when you look at the wages etc PL teams pay, they have to recoup it somehow, and the obvious way is through ticket prices. It's the "supply & demand" logic. I'm a Crewe fan, and our ticket prices have risen, but still at a reasonable level, infact the tickets for the Northern Area Final of the JPT @ Coventry are £5 - not bad value. Yes, boycott the matches in protest at ticket prices, but what good would this do, would it not force ticket prices, season tickets etc up in the long run as the club would have to recoup the lost revenue via other streams.[/p][/quote]Now that really is extortion of supporters. £5 to see the area final of the Johnsons Paint Pot Atrophy. Not worth more than 50p. Skating on thin ice
  • Score: 0

8:19pm Wed 16 Jan 13

footballcrazy says...

all the board and players on mega bucks should start taking stock for the sake of fans during this recesion! its the fans keeping them in a job,many now strugg
ling!
all the board and players on mega bucks should start taking stock for the sake of fans during this recesion! its the fans keeping them in a job,many now strugg ling! footballcrazy
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Wed 16 Jan 13

befriendly says...

It's the same old story. As long as there are enough stupid people willing to pay we'll keep charging more and more, but when nobody wants to pay we'll bring our price down until they do. So ticket prices are in the hands of the fans. Join with all the other fan clubs and organize boycotts. No cash flow, no business. the clubs will have to do something then, like lowering wages they can afford on reduced entry prices. But being what they are they'll continue paying and moan about the price. THE POWER IS WITH THE PAYING CUSTOMER. ask any shop owner.
It's the same old story. As long as there are enough stupid people willing to pay we'll keep charging more and more, but when nobody wants to pay we'll bring our price down until they do. So ticket prices are in the hands of the fans. Join with all the other fan clubs and organize boycotts. No cash flow, no business. the clubs will have to do something then, like lowering wages they can afford on reduced entry prices. But being what they are they'll continue paying and moan about the price. THE POWER IS WITH THE PAYING CUSTOMER. ask any shop owner. befriendly
  • Score: 0

11:24pm Wed 16 Jan 13

ilogik_23 says...

three halves wrote:
All the time idiots are willing to pay these prices nothing will change, the £62 City fans had to shell out is unbelievable.
That's exactly the view I have, not only just in football but in all walks of life, it's all Market Market Driven.
Price comparisson here: Pint of Bulmers @ local pub £3-30, pint of Bulmers @ Posh Hotel £5.75... Because people pay it they will continue to charge stupid prices, if everyone stopped paying the high price it would force the market to change it's attitude and drive the price down, simple business sense. I try not to not to pay for anything if the over inflated price is ridiculous. Here's hoping the working class fan gets his/herway sooner rather than later!
[quote][p][bold]three halves[/bold] wrote: All the time idiots are willing to pay these prices nothing will change, the £62 City fans had to shell out is unbelievable.[/p][/quote]That's exactly the view I have, not only just in football but in all walks of life, it's all Market Market Driven. Price comparisson here: Pint of Bulmers @ local pub £3-30, pint of Bulmers @ Posh Hotel £5.75... Because people pay it they will continue to charge stupid prices, if everyone stopped paying the high price it would force the market to change it's attitude and drive the price down, simple business sense. I try not to not to pay for anything if the over inflated price is ridiculous. Here's hoping the working class fan gets his/herway sooner rather than later! ilogik_23
  • Score: 0

9:35am Thu 17 Jan 13

spotburst says...

I for one would certainly like to see more scrutiny/transparenc
y of top incomes in the game and their possible linkage to 'offshore tax avoidance' schemes. If you can't cap the ticket prices, at least make sure that honest hard-working tax payers aren't being ripped off too.
I for one would certainly like to see more scrutiny/transparenc y of top incomes in the game and their possible linkage to 'offshore tax avoidance' schemes. If you can't cap the ticket prices, at least make sure that honest hard-working tax payers aren't being ripped off too. spotburst
  • Score: 0

10:02am Thu 17 Jan 13

durkiboy says...

Skating on thin ice says...
7:35pm Wed 16 Jan 13

durkiboy wrote:
Yes, PL pricing is at best disparative, but, when you look at the wages etc PL teams pay, they have to recoup it somehow, and the obvious way is through ticket prices. It's the "supply & demand" logic. I'm a Crewe fan, and our ticket prices have risen, but still at a reasonable level, infact the tickets for the Northern Area Final of the JPT @ Coventry are £5 - not bad value. Yes, boycott the matches in protest at ticket prices, but what good would this do, would it not force ticket prices, season tickets etc up in the long run as the club would have to recoup the lost revenue via other streams.

Now that really is extortion of supporters. £5 to see the area final of the Johnsons Paint Pot Atrophy. Not worth more than 50p.

Ah yes, this would be the same trophy that Southampton won in 2010, some 34 years after winning their last trophy............
Skating on thin ice says... 7:35pm Wed 16 Jan 13 durkiboy wrote: Yes, PL pricing is at best disparative, but, when you look at the wages etc PL teams pay, they have to recoup it somehow, and the obvious way is through ticket prices. It's the "supply & demand" logic. I'm a Crewe fan, and our ticket prices have risen, but still at a reasonable level, infact the tickets for the Northern Area Final of the JPT @ Coventry are £5 - not bad value. Yes, boycott the matches in protest at ticket prices, but what good would this do, would it not force ticket prices, season tickets etc up in the long run as the club would have to recoup the lost revenue via other streams. Now that really is extortion of supporters. £5 to see the area final of the Johnsons Paint Pot Atrophy. Not worth more than 50p. Ah yes, this would be the same trophy that Southampton won in 2010, some 34 years after winning their last trophy............ durkiboy
  • Score: 0

10:07am Thu 17 Jan 13

durkiboy says...

Skating on thin ice wrote:
durkiboy wrote:
Yes, PL pricing is at best disparative, but, when you look at the wages etc PL teams pay, they have to recoup it somehow, and the obvious way is through ticket prices. It's the "supply & demand" logic. I'm a Crewe fan, and our ticket prices have risen, but still at a reasonable level, infact the tickets for the Northern Area Final of the JPT @ Coventry are £5 - not bad value. Yes, boycott the matches in protest at ticket prices, but what good would this do, would it not force ticket prices, season tickets etc up in the long run as the club would have to recoup the lost revenue via other streams.
Now that really is extortion of supporters. £5 to see the area final of the Johnsons Paint Pot Atrophy. Not worth more than 50p.
Ah yes, this would be the same trophy that Southampton won in 2010, some 34 years after winning their last trophy............
[quote][p][bold]Skating on thin ice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]durkiboy[/bold] wrote: Yes, PL pricing is at best disparative, but, when you look at the wages etc PL teams pay, they have to recoup it somehow, and the obvious way is through ticket prices. It's the "supply & demand" logic. I'm a Crewe fan, and our ticket prices have risen, but still at a reasonable level, infact the tickets for the Northern Area Final of the JPT @ Coventry are £5 - not bad value. Yes, boycott the matches in protest at ticket prices, but what good would this do, would it not force ticket prices, season tickets etc up in the long run as the club would have to recoup the lost revenue via other streams.[/p][/quote]Now that really is extortion of supporters. £5 to see the area final of the Johnsons Paint Pot Atrophy. Not worth more than 50p.[/p][/quote]Ah yes, this would be the same trophy that Southampton won in 2010, some 34 years after winning their last trophy............ durkiboy
  • Score: 0

12:27am Fri 18 Jan 13

Alty Saint says...

To be honest Saints are charging £45 for the visit of Man City which is only £2 less than what Chesea are charging, the issue here is the extra cost for travel which adds a considerable sum to the ticket prices.
To be honest Saints are charging £45 for the visit of Man City which is only £2 less than what Chesea are charging, the issue here is the extra cost for travel which adds a considerable sum to the ticket prices. Alty Saint
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree