The facts about Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino

First published in Saints News
Last updated
by

Just who is Mauricio Pochettino? Understandably, that’s a question many Saints fans will be shaking their heads to following the departure of Nigel Adkins. Understandable, too, is the disappointment that a man responsible for back to back promotions was shoved so unceremoniously aside. This was cemented by the fact that Adkins had overseen an impressive turnaround in form following a difficult start to the season.

But, in many ways, this also marks a bold and intriguing move on Saints’ part. Some may have been noted that Pochettino left his former side Espanyol mired in the relegation places last November, just as Adkins was engineering Saints’ ascent away from the lower reaches. But as far it goes with Pochettino, this only tells part of the tale.

Not only was he La Liga’s longest serving manager, he was also the third longest serving manager in the club’s 112-year history. A legend there from his playing days, he had proved himself a competent and innovative coach. Regarded as one of the most promising young managers in the league, sources close to the Real Madrid hierarchy had been leaked information that he was seriously under consideration for the Bernabéu job while José Mourinho pimped himself around the Premier League last April. It speaks a lot for Pochettino’s character that he was so forthright in dismissing a move away from Espanyol at the time.

It also says a lot for his reputation in Spain for honesty and loyalty that his sincerity was never questioned.

Six months is a long time in football, but the writing had been on the wall for some time at the Barcelona-based club. Money is a scarce commodity in Spain outside the big two. A grossly unequal TV deal saw third-placed finishers Valencia receive as much from TV as the team that finished bottom of the pile in England, Wolverhampton Wanderers. When Michu rolled up at Swansea City last summer, it wasn’t because he was some unknown in Spain.

Rather, his paltry release clause of £2m was too much for teams eying him up after an excellent campaign with Rayo Vallecano.

Espanyol have it worse than most. After nearly two decades without a home, they moved into a new 40,000 seater stadium on the outskirts of the town in 2009. Rather than providing a financial fillip, it proved a drain on resources. Dwindling TV money and growing debt meant the club were forced to do more with less.

In every transfer window since, they’ve been forced to sell their best players. In their place came a ragtag mixture of youth teamers and short-term loanees. In effect, Pochettino was having the rug pulled out from under him every six months. Yet, rather than complain, he carried out his duties diligently, keeping the club consistently competitive despite all this instability. Last summer’s clear-out was simply a step too far. With eight first-teamers injured, and a mixed bag of recruits insufficient to paper over the cracks, Espanyol endured a dire start, losing eight of the first 13 games under Pochettino.

Off the field, the board were at war, resigning en masse in October.

Back on the park, foolish and unfortunate red cards allied with moments of rotten luck – for example, a 2-1 loss at Valencia to a last minute penalty in his penultimate game in charge – meant even better performances went unrewarded. The Valencia loss was Espanyol’s third last minute defeat of the term, and his side also picked up their SIXTH red card of the La Liga campaign in that game.

A man who once famously claimed to send his kids to bed in Espanyol pyjamas, the circumstances of the job had become intolerable for Pochettino.

And yet even as results improve under his successor – Javier Aguirre – it is impossible to find anyone connected to the club with a bad word to say about Pochettino. Aside from the sense of genuine affection, there’s a recognition that a good coach who had worked miracles became a victim of circumstances.

What Southampton are getting is not just a clever and adaptable manager. They are also getting a man for whom youth development is in his DNA. In that respect, the marriage could just be a perfect one. But first he’ll have to win over a fan base understandably angered at Adkins’ departure.

There is more than one way to skin a cat but, in terms of harnessing young talent, Spain seems to be getting the job done better than most. That’s not just borne of financial necessity, but also methodology. Any youth system capable of producing the likes of Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain must be onto something already. A look at Saints’ current first team squad shows three home-grown players who have appeared in the Premier League this term – Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse and Adam Lallana.

Espanyol’s academy record is even more impressive than Saints’ recent one.

They have produced a remarkable 15 Spanish internationals across all age levels this century alone, and some 40 current regulars in Spain’s top two divisions is testament to this. Talk to anyone inside the club who witnessed his shake up of their set-up, and they’ll come back to you with glowing words.

One such man is youth coach Sergi Angulo, since departed. “Our philosophy is based on the collective concept, with two touches max – build the attack through the best pass, from the back; making the best decision for the group,” he said. “That’s why we produce players who understand teamwork, and how to ‘read’ the game”

Another is Mark O’Sullivan, a former League of Ireland player currently coaching underage in the Swedish top flight. Given that O’Sullivan previously studied at Ajax and Barcelona for his UEFA licenses, his words carry weight.

“There’s a clear divide between practice in Northern Europe and Spain, and you see this clearly at Espanyol,” he told me. “In Sweden, Britain, even in Holland, there’s too much emphasis on individual, isolated training. “You take one kid aside, get him to work on his dribbling, or his control, whatever. The thing is, I’ve never seen a player tackled in a match by a training cone.

“At Espanyol – and I saw this too at lower division sides in the area – it’s fully integrated.

“Forget the cones. Set up a bunch of kids in a match-type scenario, and let them work it out for themselves. “It’s the closest thing to street football. “Once the scenario’s over, they’re taken aside, asked questions, asked for their thoughts. This can go on for minutes. “Then you set them up again, let them at it, and see if they can do better; invariably, they do.

“This is the key – let them arrive at the answer, rather than dictating it to them. “This is how you develop game intelligence, and this is where Spain beats us hands down. There’s too much of a tendency in Northern Europe to breed athletes and isolated training exacerbates the problem.

“So you end up with guys who are fine physical specimens, even with great technique in isolated situations. “That’s great. But you also need to be able to apply that in matches, think fast, make decisions instantly. “I saw this right across the age levels at Espanyol.

“In Sweden – and Britain is no different – there’s an alarming drop in players’ capacity in this area once they hit 13. “Solving this ... that’s our biggest challenge.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:11am Mon 21 Jan 13

montecristosaint says...

At last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea.It is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruiting top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..
At last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea.It is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruiting top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming.. montecristosaint
  • Score: 0

10:17am Mon 21 Jan 13

saintmac says...

We must support MP. Of course we will miss Nigel but the more I find out about
the guy the more impressed I become.
We must be patient while he adapts the
team to his way of thinking but I am
hoping that with new ideas, and maybe
another signing, he will give our young
and talented team that extra confidence
and experience they need.
SUPPORT MP AND THE TEAM TONIGHT.
We must support MP. Of course we will miss Nigel but the more I find out about the guy the more impressed I become. We must be patient while he adapts the team to his way of thinking but I am hoping that with new ideas, and maybe another signing, he will give our young and talented team that extra confidence and experience they need. SUPPORT MP AND THE TEAM TONIGHT. saintmac
  • Score: 0

10:20am Mon 21 Jan 13

SO50 Saint says...

This is the best thing the echo has put on the website over the weekend. Far better than the journos who are against our club anyway as they don't want the likes of Newcastle, Villa or Arry's lot going down. Very informative read and makes me more positive when I first heard the news on Friday I was gutted but the more and more I think of it the more I look forward to tonight
This is the best thing the echo has put on the website over the weekend. Far better than the journos who are against our club anyway as they don't want the likes of Newcastle, Villa or Arry's lot going down. Very informative read and makes me more positive when I first heard the news on Friday I was gutted but the more and more I think of it the more I look forward to tonight SO50 Saint
  • Score: 0

10:37am Mon 21 Jan 13

saint Compo says...

At last we are beginning to see that Cortese's change of manager is well thought out, even if the manner in which he dismissed Nigel was not. If only Cortese could show a little humanity, even humility, he would soon win back the fans' support.

Come on, Nicola, let's hear from you more. Don't model yourself on Abrahmovic. Get your PR sorted out.

Please, Saints fans, support the team and its new coach to the full. Let the Northam boys take the lead and show Pochettino what we are made of. At the end of the game Saints fans should be more hoarse than a Tesco burger!

COYR
At last we are beginning to see that Cortese's change of manager is well thought out, even if the manner in which he dismissed Nigel was not. If only Cortese could show a little humanity, even humility, he would soon win back the fans' support. Come on, Nicola, let's hear from you more. Don't model yourself on Abrahmovic. Get your PR sorted out. Please, Saints fans, support the team and its new coach to the full. Let the Northam boys take the lead and show Pochettino what we are made of. At the end of the game Saints fans should be more hoarse than a Tesco burger! COYR saint Compo
  • Score: 0

10:43am Mon 21 Jan 13

Cheapshot says...

That's actually a really good report DE, well done...for once!

After Friday's initial shock i find myself strangely excited about MP, and I really hope these stupid protests don't go ahead, especially after a lot of saints fans slated the Chelsea lot for booing! kicking up a stink wont change anything so we must support him and the team.
That's actually a really good report DE, well done...for once! After Friday's initial shock i find myself strangely excited about MP, and I really hope these stupid protests don't go ahead, especially after a lot of saints fans slated the Chelsea lot for booing! kicking up a stink wont change anything so we must support him and the team. Cheapshot
  • Score: 0

10:44am Mon 21 Jan 13

Scarborosaint says...

MP is going to be have to work with the first team not the youth team , philosophies have to adapted at all levels of the club but our short term goal is premiership survival , how we achieve it is up to the new manager but can't see some of players fitting in with his way of playing , sir rickie for example is a typical english type centre forward of which you see very few in Spain but I like many others I feel will give MP the backing he deserves even though many are understandably still shocked and disappointed at NA dismissal .
Cortese just needs to be reminded that this club belongs to the supporters , stay out of matters concerning the playing side and back your manager to do the job .
Finally next time if you happen to sack the manager have the decency to face the press face to face not release some half arsed statement, but most importantly resign cos you are the man who appointed the new man to the job at the wrong time.
Ambition only stretches as far the clubs potential.
MP is going to be have to work with the first team not the youth team , philosophies have to adapted at all levels of the club but our short term goal is premiership survival , how we achieve it is up to the new manager but can't see some of players fitting in with his way of playing , sir rickie for example is a typical english type centre forward of which you see very few in Spain but I like many others I feel will give MP the backing he deserves even though many are understandably still shocked and disappointed at NA dismissal . Cortese just needs to be reminded that this club belongs to the supporters , stay out of matters concerning the playing side and back your manager to do the job . Finally next time if you happen to sack the manager have the decency to face the press face to face not release some half arsed statement, but most importantly resign cos you are the man who appointed the new man to the job at the wrong time. Ambition only stretches as far the clubs potential. Scarborosaint
  • Score: 0

10:46am Mon 21 Jan 13

Mr. Miyagi says...

montecristosaint wrote:
At last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea.It is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruiting top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..
I am fully behind the new man and hope for great success in the future, but in reality how close to the likes of Man U, Man City and Chelsea are we likely to ever get. Financially, we are millions of miles away, or should that be billions! Are we actually aiming for Europa League at best?
[quote][p][bold]montecristosaint[/bold] wrote: At last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea.It is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruiting top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..[/p][/quote]I am fully behind the new man and hope for great success in the future, but in reality how close to the likes of Man U, Man City and Chelsea are we likely to ever get. Financially, we are millions of miles away, or should that be billions! Are we actually aiming for Europa League at best? Mr. Miyagi
  • Score: 0

10:58am Mon 21 Jan 13

meanmoodymidget says...

Brought in as a YES-MAN to sell our home grown players to line corteses pocket !
Brought in as a YES-MAN to sell our home grown players to line corteses pocket ! meanmoodymidget
  • Score: 0

10:59am Mon 21 Jan 13

montecristosaint says...

Mr. Miyagi wrote:
montecristosaint wrote:
At last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea.It is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruiting top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..
I am fully behind the new man and hope for great success in the future, but in reality how close to the likes of Man U, Man City and Chelsea are we likely to ever get. Financially, we are millions of miles away, or should that be billions! Are we actually aiming for Europa League at best?
I think part of the problem for saints fans is that they know very little about the Liebherr empire, because for some reason it s not well known in the uk. But here in minland europe they are everywhere and are as well known as Tescos in England. It is unlikely that they would retain ownership of a football club unless they planned to take it to the very top. Saints are just so very lucky. Do not be surprised if in the future you get players of the calibre of Messi at Southampton it is only a matter of time and obviously money, Saints will identify the best potential in Europe and simply snap them up. A very exciting time to be a Saints fan and I am thoroughly looking forward to the next couple of years. So the answer to your question is no Saints plan to win everything in sight. and they will take on the likes of the two Manchester clubs into the process.
[quote][p][bold]Mr. Miyagi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]montecristosaint[/bold] wrote: At last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea.It is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruiting top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..[/p][/quote]I am fully behind the new man and hope for great success in the future, but in reality how close to the likes of Man U, Man City and Chelsea are we likely to ever get. Financially, we are millions of miles away, or should that be billions! Are we actually aiming for Europa League at best?[/p][/quote]I think part of the problem for saints fans is that they know very little about the Liebherr empire, because for some reason it s not well known in the uk. But here in minland europe they are everywhere and are as well known as Tescos in England. It is unlikely that they would retain ownership of a football club unless they planned to take it to the very top. Saints are just so very lucky. Do not be surprised if in the future you get players of the calibre of Messi at Southampton it is only a matter of time and obviously money, Saints will identify the best potential in Europe and simply snap them up. A very exciting time to be a Saints fan and I am thoroughly looking forward to the next couple of years. So the answer to your question is no Saints plan to win everything in sight. and they will take on the likes of the two Manchester clubs into the process. montecristosaint
  • Score: 0

11:01am Mon 21 Jan 13

montecristosaint says...

Mr. Miyagi wrote:
montecristosaint wrote:
At last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea.It is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruiting top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..
I am fully behind the new man and hope for great success in the future, but in reality how close to the likes of Man U, Man City and Chelsea are we likely to ever get. Financially, we are millions of miles away, or should that be billions! Are we actually aiming for Europa League at best?
I think part of the problem for saints fans is that they know very little about the Liebherr empire, because for some reason it s not well known in the uk. But here in mainland europe they are everywhere and are as well known as Tescos in England. It is unlikely that they would retain ownership of a football club unless they planned to take it to the very top. Saints are just so very lucky. Do not be surprised if in the future you get players of the calibre of Messi at Southampton it is only a matter of time and obviously money, Saints will identify the best potential in Europe and simply snap them up. A very exciting time to be a Saints fan and I am thoroughly looking forward to the next couple of years. So the answer to your question is no Saints plan to win everything in sight. and they will take on the likes of the two Manchester clubs into the process.
[quote][p][bold]Mr. Miyagi[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]montecristosaint[/bold] wrote: At last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea.It is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruiting top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..[/p][/quote]I am fully behind the new man and hope for great success in the future, but in reality how close to the likes of Man U, Man City and Chelsea are we likely to ever get. Financially, we are millions of miles away, or should that be billions! Are we actually aiming for Europa League at best?[/p][/quote]I think part of the problem for saints fans is that they know very little about the Liebherr empire, because for some reason it s not well known in the uk. But here in mainland europe they are everywhere and are as well known as Tescos in England. It is unlikely that they would retain ownership of a football club unless they planned to take it to the very top. Saints are just so very lucky. Do not be surprised if in the future you get players of the calibre of Messi at Southampton it is only a matter of time and obviously money, Saints will identify the best potential in Europe and simply snap them up. A very exciting time to be a Saints fan and I am thoroughly looking forward to the next couple of years. So the answer to your question is no Saints plan to win everything in sight. and they will take on the likes of the two Manchester clubs into the process. montecristosaint
  • Score: 0

11:04am Mon 21 Jan 13

ramptonfromsouthampton says...

Well I never - a fine piece of football journalism in these pages. Some very useful info indeed.
Well I never - a fine piece of football journalism in these pages. Some very useful info indeed. ramptonfromsouthampton
  • Score: 0

11:15am Mon 21 Jan 13

Strasbourg Saint says...

saint Compo wrote:
At last we are beginning to see that Cortese's change of manager is well thought out, even if the manner in which he dismissed Nigel was not. If only Cortese could show a little humanity, even humility, he would soon win back the fans' support.

Come on, Nicola, let's hear from you more. Don't model yourself on Abrahmovic. Get your PR sorted out.

Please, Saints fans, support the team and its new coach to the full. Let the Northam boys take the lead and show Pochettino what we are made of. At the end of the game Saints fans should be more hoarse than a Tesco burger!

COYR
Nods of agreement from here.

Was 100% behind Nigel.

Still angry about the timing and handling.

Now excited at what COULD (nothing is guaranteed) come to pass.
[quote][p][bold]saint Compo[/bold] wrote: At last we are beginning to see that Cortese's change of manager is well thought out, even if the manner in which he dismissed Nigel was not. If only Cortese could show a little humanity, even humility, he would soon win back the fans' support. Come on, Nicola, let's hear from you more. Don't model yourself on Abrahmovic. Get your PR sorted out. Please, Saints fans, support the team and its new coach to the full. Let the Northam boys take the lead and show Pochettino what we are made of. At the end of the game Saints fans should be more hoarse than a Tesco burger! COYR[/p][/quote]Nods of agreement from here. Was 100% behind Nigel. Still angry about the timing and handling. Now excited at what COULD (nothing is guaranteed) come to pass. Strasbourg Saint
  • Score: 0

11:17am Mon 21 Jan 13

saint Compo says...

meanmoodymidget wrote:
Brought in as a YES-MAN to sell our home grown players to line corteses pocket !
Prat! It's obvious from your pseudonym that you've got a psychological problem. Grow up!

COYR
[quote][p][bold]meanmoodymidget[/bold] wrote: Brought in as a YES-MAN to sell our home grown players to line corteses pocket ![/p][/quote]Prat! It's obvious from your pseudonym that you've got a psychological problem. Grow up! COYR saint Compo
  • Score: 0

11:47am Mon 21 Jan 13

Littleton-Saint says...

montecristosaint wrote:
Ar last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea. it is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruitng top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..
Pochettino has achieved nothing. If Cortese is so ambitious why didn't eappoint a proven and more experienced manager like Mourinho who can speak English?
This mid-season managerial switch is a gamble. When bankers gamble, even in the industry they supposedly understand, they invariably fail. Check out RBS and Lloyds et al. We may well stay up under Mauricio, but it will be a closer callthan if Adkins had remained in charge. The assumption that an unknown and failed foreign manager will attract big-name players is false. Such players go to more fashionable clubs on much larger salaries than SFC can offer. I love Saints but a bit of realism about Cortese and his abilities wouldn't go amiss.
[quote][p][bold]montecristosaint[/bold] wrote: Ar last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea. it is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruitng top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..[/p][/quote]Pochettino has achieved nothing. If Cortese is so ambitious why didn't eappoint a proven and more experienced manager like Mourinho who can speak English? This mid-season managerial switch is a gamble. When bankers gamble, even in the industry they supposedly understand, they invariably fail. Check out RBS and Lloyds et al. We may well stay up under Mauricio, but it will be a closer callthan if Adkins had remained in charge. The assumption that an unknown and failed foreign manager will attract big-name players is false. Such players go to more fashionable clubs on much larger salaries than SFC can offer. I love Saints but a bit of realism about Cortese and his abilities wouldn't go amiss. Littleton-Saint
  • Score: 0

11:51am Mon 21 Jan 13

info@denisbundy.co.uk says...

Surely the main point to come out of all this is the shoddy way Cortese treated a manager who was not only remarkably successful but also a gentleman. Nigel Adkins deserved so much better and it is amazing to think that regardless as to whether we had beaten Chelsea and had back to back wins he would have still been summarily dismissed. It will certainly be an interesting few months and I, like many others will reserve judgement. Not much of a window left and I would imagine, no expect us to make a couple of big signings on the back of this appointment.
Surely the main point to come out of all this is the shoddy way Cortese treated a manager who was not only remarkably successful but also a gentleman. Nigel Adkins deserved so much better and it is amazing to think that regardless as to whether we had beaten Chelsea and had back to back wins he would have still been summarily dismissed. It will certainly be an interesting few months and I, like many others will reserve judgement. Not much of a window left and I would imagine, no expect us to make a couple of big signings on the back of this appointment. info@denisbundy.co.uk
  • Score: 0

11:52am Mon 21 Jan 13

iswhite10 says...

Fantastic report. Local sports journalism at its best, thank you Echo.
RIP the Blessed Nigel, long live Our Mauricio! OMG I hope Nicola has called this one right (like all the others)...... COYR!
Fantastic report. Local sports journalism at its best, thank you Echo. RIP the Blessed Nigel, long live Our Mauricio! OMG I hope Nicola has called this one right (like all the others)...... COYR! iswhite10
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Mon 21 Jan 13

montecristosaint says...

Littleton-Saint wrote:
montecristosaint wrote:
Ar last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea. it is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruitng top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..
Pochettino has achieved nothing. If Cortese is so ambitious why didn't eappoint a proven and more experienced manager like Mourinho who can speak English?
This mid-season managerial switch is a gamble. When bankers gamble, even in the industry they supposedly understand, they invariably fail. Check out RBS and Lloyds et al. We may well stay up under Mauricio, but it will be a closer callthan if Adkins had remained in charge. The assumption that an unknown and failed foreign manager will attract big-name players is false. Such players go to more fashionable clubs on much larger salaries than SFC can offer. I love Saints but a bit of realism about Cortese and his abilities wouldn't go amiss.
Achieved nothing you say. Well if building a side capable of beating Barcelona at home is nothing plus producing no less that 15 home grown internationals at a club with no financial resources is nothing then Im flabbergasted. i rmember his Espanhol side well and it was a cracker so yes Im excited hes here.
Suggest you learn a couple of foreign languages and study european football papers before you make comments like that.
[quote][p][bold]Littleton-Saint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]montecristosaint[/bold] wrote: Ar last some serious research into why Cortese did what he did,. The man is a genius and Saints fans should thank their lucky stars that he is running the club and not some fool from the tabloids or some ex player spouting verbal diarrhoea. it is also highly likely that Cortese was having trouble recruitng top players from italian or spanish leagues because of the fact that Adkins in Europe is an unknown quantity without any playing credentials to speak of. So I completely understand the reason for Adkins dismissal. Make no mistake Cortese intends to turn Southampton into a european brand and not some middle of the table no hopers as they were in the past. Frankly as a fan I am excited by what Cortese has done. We may not win tonight but you can be sure we wont be relegated come May and the likes of Man U had better watch out because the Saints are a coming..[/p][/quote]Pochettino has achieved nothing. If Cortese is so ambitious why didn't eappoint a proven and more experienced manager like Mourinho who can speak English? This mid-season managerial switch is a gamble. When bankers gamble, even in the industry they supposedly understand, they invariably fail. Check out RBS and Lloyds et al. We may well stay up under Mauricio, but it will be a closer callthan if Adkins had remained in charge. The assumption that an unknown and failed foreign manager will attract big-name players is false. Such players go to more fashionable clubs on much larger salaries than SFC can offer. I love Saints but a bit of realism about Cortese and his abilities wouldn't go amiss.[/p][/quote]Achieved nothing you say. Well if building a side capable of beating Barcelona at home is nothing plus producing no less that 15 home grown internationals at a club with no financial resources is nothing then Im flabbergasted. i rmember his Espanhol side well and it was a cracker so yes Im excited hes here. Suggest you learn a couple of foreign languages and study european football papers before you make comments like that. montecristosaint
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Galapagos Saint says...

I think I’ve figured it out. Cortese is a genius. Messi is actually Pochettino’s love child and will sign next week in order to be with his Papa. Cortese found out about this as the Cortese and Pochettino families originate from the same village in Southern Italy and Nicola has just pulled off the coup of the century. Look at the facts:

- Pochettino was in the Newells Old Boys youth team in 1986 as a 15 year old. He had a brief teenage romance with Maria, the daughter of the club’s owner, and nine months later, out pops Lionel. Obviously this was a local scandal, and a huge cover-up was set in motion. Surprise, surprise, in 1995 when Lionel turns 8, which club does he join? Newells Old Boys. Coincidence? I think not.

- Lionel joins Barcelona in 2000 aged 13. He found the first few years very tough and was incredibly homesick. He wants to be close to his Dad, and surprise, surprise which club does Pochettino join in 2004? Espanyol…in Barcelona. Coincidence? I think not.

- Want some photographic evidence…check out this link https://twitter.com/
galapagoal/status/29
3199815637102592 : Messi obviously “looks up” to his Dad. Coincidence? I think not.

Everything is organized, Pochettino will fly to Barcelona next week, and bring Lionel back in his hand luggage. I just hope he’s as good as Chris Marsdinho, I was lucky enough to be at Portman Road in 2002 and witnessed the most Messi-esque goal I have ever seen live: http://www.myspace.c
om/video/let-39-s-ro
ck-and-roll/chrissy-
marsden-football-gen
ius/31751498. Messi and Marsden both begin with the letter M. Coincidence? Probably.
I think I’ve figured it out. Cortese is a genius. Messi is actually Pochettino’s love child and will sign next week in order to be with his Papa. Cortese found out about this as the Cortese and Pochettino families originate from the same village in Southern Italy and Nicola has just pulled off the coup of the century. Look at the facts: - Pochettino was in the Newells Old Boys youth team in 1986 as a 15 year old. He had a brief teenage romance with Maria, the daughter of the club’s owner, and nine months later, out pops Lionel. Obviously this was a local scandal, and a huge cover-up was set in motion. Surprise, surprise, in 1995 when Lionel turns 8, which club does he join? Newells Old Boys. Coincidence? I think not. - Lionel joins Barcelona in 2000 aged 13. He found the first few years very tough and was incredibly homesick. He wants to be close to his Dad, and surprise, surprise which club does Pochettino join in 2004? Espanyol…in Barcelona. Coincidence? I think not. - Want some photographic evidence…check out this link https://twitter.com/ galapagoal/status/29 3199815637102592 : Messi obviously “looks up” to his Dad. Coincidence? I think not. Everything is organized, Pochettino will fly to Barcelona next week, and bring Lionel back in his hand luggage. I just hope he’s as good as Chris Marsdinho, I was lucky enough to be at Portman Road in 2002 and witnessed the most Messi-esque goal I have ever seen live: http://www.myspace.c om/video/let-39-s-ro ck-and-roll/chrissy- marsden-football-gen ius/31751498. Messi and Marsden both begin with the letter M. Coincidence? Probably. Galapagos Saint
  • Score: 0

3:30pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Benali76 says...

A decent piece of journalism that makes me feel a lot happier about what has happened. I still think sacking Adkins was the wrong decision for many reasons but I do like the sound of this guy. Let's pray he gets off to a good start because the snipers are waiting. Regardless of what we feel about what happened this week we have to give him and the team our full support. Starting tonight.
A decent piece of journalism that makes me feel a lot happier about what has happened. I still think sacking Adkins was the wrong decision for many reasons but I do like the sound of this guy. Let's pray he gets off to a good start because the snipers are waiting. Regardless of what we feel about what happened this week we have to give him and the team our full support. Starting tonight. Benali76
  • Score: 0

4:45pm Mon 21 Jan 13

mustique says...

It really shows how little the majority know about runnin a football club.
It is like a business that grows the staff that can run a small business cannot always do so as the business goes to a higher level.Unfortunately Nigel Adkins probably does not quite have the ability to step up a level. He is a nice chap. Le Tiss is just sour grapes because he could not buy the Club. It will be interesting to see what that know all Merrington has to say tonight, bearing in mind his past remarks about Adkins.
It really shows how little the majority know about runnin a football club. It is like a business that grows the staff that can run a small business cannot always do so as the business goes to a higher level.Unfortunately Nigel Adkins probably does not quite have the ability to step up a level. He is a nice chap. Le Tiss is just sour grapes because he could not buy the Club. It will be interesting to see what that know all Merrington has to say tonight, bearing in mind his past remarks about Adkins. mustique
  • Score: 0

5:19pm Mon 21 Jan 13

TSS says...

I'm gutted Adkins is gone, but this is a clear signal of intent from cortese that he wants to take saints to the top. It was said from the beginning this is not a man c project, throwing stupid money at players, cortese wants to create an academy like Barcelona which will produce world class players. Moreover, in an environment where the players won't leave to arsenal. To do it he must of felt he needed a more high profile manager. It's just a shame that Adkins wasn't shown more respect, nothing more than a few words on his dismissal on the os. Good luck to Adkins in the future. But I think we have an exciting future
I'm gutted Adkins is gone, but this is a clear signal of intent from cortese that he wants to take saints to the top. It was said from the beginning this is not a man c project, throwing stupid money at players, cortese wants to create an academy like Barcelona which will produce world class players. Moreover, in an environment where the players won't leave to arsenal. To do it he must of felt he needed a more high profile manager. It's just a shame that Adkins wasn't shown more respect, nothing more than a few words on his dismissal on the os. Good luck to Adkins in the future. But I think we have an exciting future TSS
  • Score: 0

6:31pm Mon 21 Jan 13

waxrose says...

The majority of the comments on this story have Saints future at heart. My only comment is that it appears to be well written from a knowledgeable source, is it possible NC was the source?
The majority of the comments on this story have Saints future at heart. My only comment is that it appears to be well written from a knowledgeable source, is it possible NC was the source? waxrose
  • Score: 0

4:17pm Thu 24 Jan 13

Joseph Sexton says...

waxrose wrote:
The majority of the comments on this story have Saints future at heart. My only comment is that it appears to be well written from a knowledgeable source, is it possible NC was the source?
No, it was wirtten by me waxrose. ;) Spanish footbally is my speciality, and I know Pochettino's prior work intimately. Though over the last few days I have learned a lot about Southampton and its owners that I knew next to nothing about before.

Glad to see the fans seem willing to give the guy a chance. Understand sadness and anger at Adkins' removal too. Let's hope the move proves successful for all concerned and that Adkins is back in a job soo too- no doubt he will given sterling work in raising the Saints up two divisions.
[quote][p][bold]waxrose[/bold] wrote: The majority of the comments on this story have Saints future at heart. My only comment is that it appears to be well written from a knowledgeable source, is it possible NC was the source?[/p][/quote]No, it was wirtten by me waxrose. ;) Spanish footbally is my speciality, and I know Pochettino's prior work intimately. Though over the last few days I have learned a lot about Southampton and its owners that I knew next to nothing about before. Glad to see the fans seem willing to give the guy a chance. Understand sadness and anger at Adkins' removal too. Let's hope the move proves successful for all concerned and that Adkins is back in a job soo too- no doubt he will given sterling work in raising the Saints up two divisions. Joseph Sexton
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree