Cardiff have attempted to steal a march in the chase for Victor Wanyama by submitting a £10m bid, after the player revealed his proposed move to Saints had stalled.
Wanyama has claimed that his club, Celtic, have accepted an offer from Saints, reported to be £12m, but the 21-year-old said the personal terms put to him were not acceptable.
Kenyan international Wanyama, pictured, said: “My manager, Neil Lennon, told me of Southampton’s offer, but, while the bid was ok for Celtic, the terms were not right for myself and my agent.”
Premier League newboys Cardiff had initially thought they would lose out on the player, but have been given new hope. They tabled a £10m bid late on Sunday night, in a proposed deal that would blow their previous transfer record of £4m out of the water.
The Welsh side were waiting to hear yesterday whether the offer would be accepted.
Wanyama added: “I am open to what offers are made, but I am relaxed and it’s important that Celtic are happy too.”
It remains to be seen whether St Mary’s chairman Nicola Cortese will continue to negotiate with Wanyama.
Along with Cardiff and Saints, it has also been reported that Turkish sides Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray are considering a move for the player.
As previously reported, Saints have made a new central midfielder one of their key priorities for this summer.
Wanyama has emerged as one of the main targets, while Cagliari’s Belgian international Radja Nainggolan has also stated he has received an offer from Saints.
Unlike Wanyama, Nainggolan suggested he was happy with the terms, describing the deal as the best financial offer on the table, but indicated he was in no rush to complete a move to Saints.
One midfielder the club will definitely not be signing is Joan Verdú.
Saints have been linked with the 30-year-old since Mauricio Pochettino arrived at St Mary’s, with the two having worked together at Espanyol. But Verdú yesterday completed his move to another Spanish side, Real Betis in a four-year deal.