When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Adkins ready to make transfer moves
7:00am Monday 20th August 2012 in Saints News
Saints are confident of more signings before the close of the transfer window.
The club have been chasing the signatures of Matt Phillips and Gaston Ramirez, and continue to trail centre halves.
The latest coming out of Italy on the Ramirez front is that Saints have contacted Bologna again after the Italians reacted to the news that it appeared the player had agreed a deal to come to St Mary’s before a fee had been settled.
They are now reported to be asking for 15m euros, about £11.8m, to be paid in two instalments – 10m euros up front and 5m euros within a year.
However, no matter what Saints think about that fee, that is just part of the problem as Bologna only own 70 per cent of the player and Saints would also have to strike a deal for the other 30 per cent with Ramirez’s former club Penarol. At the same level of fee that could take the deal beyond £15m.
Adkins said: “I would have thought inside the last fortnight now there will be a lot of movement in the transfer window.
“We have obviously been linked with a few players and before the game. I don’t know if there was any more developments because I’ve concentrated on the game but I imagine that there will be more incomings into the football club before the transfer window shuts.”
As well as Ramirez there have also been further developments in the Phillips saga after Blackpool boss Ian Holloway insisted he will hold on to the winger after turning down a £5m offer from Saints.
Phillips pulled out of the squad for the Seasiders’ 2-0 victory over Millwall at the weekend after handing in a transfer request to try and force a move, presumably to St Mary’s.
But Holloway has no doubts he will keep hold of the 21-year-old winger and will make a stand to make his player honour his contract.
“I just want to keep the players I have here now,” he said. “What we do we do together. We had a meeting about the Matt Phillips situation on Friday.
“The situation was so public I couldn’t lie to my players and tell them otherwise. He has handed in a transfer request but that means nothing.
“They (Southampton ) have offered £5m but we don’t need the money. So what can they do? The player is on a contract and he’s signed it.
“The lad (Phillips) is very disappointed and he is very stubborn and he didn’t feel he could play on Saturday. He was in my line-up until he told me that, and (Tiago) Gomes came in and he set up the first one, so that’s the way it goes.”
Comments are closed on this article.