A MAN has been charged with attempting to murder three members of his family at their secluded Hampshire home.

Jonathan Keal is accused of trying to kill his parents and elderly grandmother at a detached property in the New Forest.

The 34-year-old has appeared at Winchester Crown Court in connection with the allegations and was remanded in custody for six weeks.

It comes after ambulance crews were called to house near Fordingbridge to treat a woman in her 90s and two other people.

One of the patients is said to have been in a life-threatening condition when paramedics arrived at the scene.

The incident is said to have happened in September last year but details have only emerged as Keal appeared in court.

Keal, formerly of Old Market Street, Bristol, but now of no fixed address, is charged with attempting to murder Robert Keal, Lynda Keal and Marjorie Blacker.

He first appeared at Southampton Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

Julie Macey, prosecuting, sought a remand in custody. Her application was not opposed by Keal’s solicitor, Barry Keel, and the defendant was remanded to appear at Winchester Crown Court.

Following a 15-minute hearing he was further remanded in custody to appear at the same court on May 22.

A police spokesman told the Daily Echo: “We were called to a contained incident in Mayfield Road, Sandleheath, just after midnight on September 27 2018.

“Three people - a man and a woman in their 60s and a woman in her 90s - sustained serious injuries and required hospital treatment.

“Officers attending the scene arrested a 34-year-old man in connection with the incident.”

A South Central Ambulance Service spokesman said an ambulance officer and three ambulance crews were sent to the scene.

The spokesman added: “They treated three patients. One was in a life-threatening condition and the other two were in a serious condition. All three were taken to hospital.”

People in the Sandleheath area have spoken of their shock.

A villager living in nearby Manor Farm Road said he was woken by the sound of a helicopter which flew over the area for about half-an-hour. He added that police were at the Keals’ home “for several days”.

One of their neighbours described them as a “delightful, supportive” couple.

He added: “They helped us when we moved down eight years ago.”

Another villager added: “It’s a nice friendly neighbourhood and everyone is helpful - there’s a lovely atmosphere.”