ONE hundred years ago countries across the world entered into one of the bloodiest conflicts of all time.
Now a century later the Daily Echo takes an in-depth look at the First World War and how its outbreak affected people at home and on the front lines.
See below for a variety of stories including how brave young men marched off to war, how the battles started at sea and how people back home played their part.
- World changes forever as war declared on Germany
- Romsey show to host first-ever First World War exhibit
- COMMENT: The Daily Echo looks back on the First World War
- The First World War in Bursledon
- Seeing our boys off in style
- How Red Funnel played its part
- Teenager tells of great sea battle
- Southampton's unique contribution to the war effort
- The secret march off to war
- Women rally round to help armed forces
- Southampton was the hub of our military machine
- Pubs close to help war effort
- Tributes to brave nurses
- From school to soldiers' barracks in 30 minutes
- The horrors of trench warfare
- When women went to war