Cyclist Phil Players saves £1,000 a year in fuel and car costs

Daily Echo: My bike’s saved me a fortune My bike’s saved me a fortune

WITH the chance of saving more than £300 a year on fuel and £700 on parking, it was a simple decision to ditch the car on the daily commute for this Hampshire cyclist.

Phil Player, 50, from Linden Grove, Chandler’s Ford, was paying out more than a thousand pounds a year on petrol to drive the eight mile round trip to Southampton Airport Parkway station and park there at a cost of £11 a day.

He says he’s saved a small fortune by using his electric bike, nicknamed “The Velocipede”, to do the journey over the last 13 months.

He said: “It’s going great – I ride it every day and it gets me to the station more or less in the same time it would have taken me previously.

Share lifts and save cash
Car Share Forum
Petrol prices near you
Latest traffic updates and cameras
Travel News
Car Sharing Case Study
How the fuel hike hits families
Tips for using less fuel when driving

“I don’t get held up in traffic and I don't have to leave any earlier – it takes me around about 15 to 20 minutes to cycle to the station.

“It’s quick, cheap to run and I just plug it into the mains every few days.”

The bike, which has a motor with a maximum speed of 15 miles an hour, can travel between 60 and 70 miles on a single charge.

Mr Player says it cost him around £900 from West End-based supplier 2 Wheel Electric, but he’s already made that money back.

He said: “A lot of the environmental ideas like solar power cost a lot of money initially and have got a long payback time – but this doesn’t.”

“With all the savings made so far, I’ve more than covered the initial outlay of the bike, so everything from now on is pure profit.

“The best thing is it’s actually very pleasant to ride.

“I don’t get all hot and sweaty as I would on a normal bicycle and it’s fast.”

Even Mr Player’s partner, who suffers from asthma, has found the electric bike easy to use.

Mr Player added: “She took out the electric bike and we went cycling around town – she was overtaking me on the hills, which is unheard of.

“She normally gets off and walks and I would wait for her at the top.

“They really are good.”

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:51pm Mon 14 Mar 11

DJ Teh says...

I've just got my self another bike after my last one was stolen to do exactly the same. Save money on fuel as its beginning to get unsustainable driving from woolston to whiteley every day. I do more queuing than driving!
I've just got my self another bike after my last one was stolen to do exactly the same. Save money on fuel as its beginning to get unsustainable driving from woolston to whiteley every day. I do more queuing than driving! DJ Teh

4:20pm Mon 14 Mar 11

Higginz says...

Same here. Cycling makes my commute a joy, especially with the very pleasant cycle paths round my way, especially on a day like today.
Same here. Cycling makes my commute a joy, especially with the very pleasant cycle paths round my way, especially on a day like today. Higginz

4:28pm Mon 14 Mar 11

downfader says...

I didnt cycle today..
.
I was buying a load of the cheap cycle gear from Lidl instead! LOL!
.
Yeah I reckon I save about £300 on bus fares a year through cycling. Still take the bus now and again.
.
Add to that I eat like a horse and I'm 15 stone right now. If I didnt ride I'd be an unfit mess. During the summer I'll ride between 10-20 miles in the morning, then 6 the short way home when my shift ends.
I didnt cycle today.. . I was buying a load of the cheap cycle gear from Lidl instead! LOL! . Yeah I reckon I save about £300 on bus fares a year through cycling. Still take the bus now and again. . Add to that I eat like a horse and I'm 15 stone right now. If I didnt ride I'd be an unfit mess. During the summer I'll ride between 10-20 miles in the morning, then 6 the short way home when my shift ends. downfader

4:38pm Mon 14 Mar 11

StEmmosfire says...

Where's his crash helmet?
Where's his crash helmet? StEmmosfire

4:39pm Mon 14 Mar 11

downfader says...

StEmmosfire wrote:
Where's his crash helmet?
Why would he need one. He's statistically more likely to suffer a brain injury getting in and out of bed.
[quote][p][bold]StEmmosfire[/bold] wrote: Where's his crash helmet?[/p][/quote]Why would he need one. He's statistically more likely to suffer a brain injury getting in and out of bed. downfader

5:24pm Mon 14 Mar 11

DJ Teh says...

StEmmosfire wrote:
Where's his crash helmet?
Good point there. The echo should be promoting safe use of a bike!!
[quote][p][bold]StEmmosfire[/bold] wrote: Where's his crash helmet?[/p][/quote]Good point there. The echo should be promoting safe use of a bike!! DJ Teh

5:32pm Mon 14 Mar 11

downfader says...

DJ Teh wrote:
StEmmosfire wrote: Where's his crash helmet?
Good point there. The echo should be promoting safe use of a bike!!
Not really.
.
Who says its unsafe? Like I said, look at the stats. If he wants to be bareheaded its up to him (it may even just be a photo set up and nothng to do with how he looks on the bike).
.
All road users should be reminded that for every study that says helmets offer a benefit, there is another that counters it completely. Invest your time and efforts in good road practice rather than relying on talismans.
[quote][p][bold]DJ Teh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]StEmmosfire[/bold] wrote: Where's his crash helmet?[/p][/quote]Good point there. The echo should be promoting safe use of a bike!![/p][/quote]Not really. . Who says its unsafe? Like I said, look at the stats. If he wants to be bareheaded its up to him (it may even just be a photo set up and nothng to do with how he looks on the bike). . All road users should be reminded that for every study that says helmets offer a benefit, there is another that counters it completely. Invest your time and efforts in good road practice rather than relying on talismans. downfader

6:10pm Mon 14 Mar 11

Stillness says...

downfader wrote:
DJ Teh wrote:
StEmmosfire wrote: Where's his crash helmet?
Good point there. The echo should be promoting safe use of a bike!!
Not really.
.
Who says its unsafe? Like I said, look at the stats. If he wants to be bareheaded its up to him (it may even just be a photo set up and nothng to do with how he looks on the bike).
.
All road users should be reminded that for every study that says helmets offer a benefit, there is another that counters it completely. Invest your time and efforts in good road practice rather than relying on talismans.
Not a bad pub though the Talisman.
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DJ Teh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]StEmmosfire[/bold] wrote: Where's his crash helmet?[/p][/quote]Good point there. The echo should be promoting safe use of a bike!![/p][/quote]Not really. . Who says its unsafe? Like I said, look at the stats. If he wants to be bareheaded its up to him (it may even just be a photo set up and nothng to do with how he looks on the bike). . All road users should be reminded that for every study that says helmets offer a benefit, there is another that counters it completely. Invest your time and efforts in good road practice rather than relying on talismans.[/p][/quote]Not a bad pub though the Talisman. Stillness

6:24pm Mon 14 Mar 11

downfader says...

Stillness wrote:
downfader wrote:
DJ Teh wrote:
StEmmosfire wrote: Where's his crash helmet?
Good point there. The echo should be promoting safe use of a bike!!
Not really. . Who says its unsafe? Like I said, look at the stats. If he wants to be bareheaded its up to him (it may even just be a photo set up and nothng to do with how he looks on the bike). . All road users should be reminded that for every study that says helmets offer a benefit, there is another that counters it completely. Invest your time and efforts in good road practice rather than relying on talismans.
Not a bad pub though the Talisman.
:-D
[quote][p][bold]Stillness[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DJ Teh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]StEmmosfire[/bold] wrote: Where's his crash helmet?[/p][/quote]Good point there. The echo should be promoting safe use of a bike!![/p][/quote]Not really. . Who says its unsafe? Like I said, look at the stats. If he wants to be bareheaded its up to him (it may even just be a photo set up and nothng to do with how he looks on the bike). . All road users should be reminded that for every study that says helmets offer a benefit, there is another that counters it completely. Invest your time and efforts in good road practice rather than relying on talismans.[/p][/quote]Not a bad pub though the Talisman.[/p][/quote]:-D downfader

7:50pm Mon 14 Mar 11

StEmmosfire says...

downfader wrote:
I didnt cycle today.. . I was buying a load of the cheap cycle gear from Lidl instead! LOL! . Yeah I reckon I save about £300 on bus fares a year through cycling. Still take the bus now and again. . Add to that I eat like a horse and I'm 15 stone right now. If I didnt ride I'd be an unfit mess. During the summer I'll ride between 10-20 miles in the morning, then 6 the short way home when my shift ends.
are you a moron? any other health and safety features you want to discount, smoking doesnt cause cancer I suppose, drinking alchohol doesnt damage your liver. I suppose you would go driving around without a seatbelt if it wasnt illegal. I suggest when it comes to promoting safe cycling you bite your bottom lip in future and keep your daft opinion to your self. Kids always wear a helmet when cycling, dont listen to this numpty.
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: I didnt cycle today.. . I was buying a load of the cheap cycle gear from Lidl instead! LOL! . Yeah I reckon I save about £300 on bus fares a year through cycling. Still take the bus now and again. . Add to that I eat like a horse and I'm 15 stone right now. If I didnt ride I'd be an unfit mess. During the summer I'll ride between 10-20 miles in the morning, then 6 the short way home when my shift ends.[/p][/quote]are you a moron? any other health and safety features you want to discount, smoking doesnt cause cancer I suppose, drinking alchohol doesnt damage your liver. I suppose you would go driving around without a seatbelt if it wasnt illegal. I suggest when it comes to promoting safe cycling you bite your bottom lip in future and keep your daft opinion to your self. Kids always wear a helmet when cycling, dont listen to this numpty. StEmmosfire

8:19pm Mon 14 Mar 11

Young Greybeard says...

StEmmosfire wrote:
downfader wrote:
I didnt cycle today.. . I was buying a load of the cheap cycle gear from Lidl instead! LOL! . Yeah I reckon I save about £300 on bus fares a year through cycling. Still take the bus now and again. . Add to that I eat like a horse and I'm 15 stone right now. If I didnt ride I'd be an unfit mess. During the summer I'll ride between 10-20 miles in the morning, then 6 the short way home when my shift ends.
are you a moron? any other health and safety features you want to discount, smoking doesnt cause cancer I suppose, drinking alchohol doesnt damage your liver. I suppose you would go driving around without a seatbelt if it wasnt illegal. I suggest when it comes to promoting safe cycling you bite your bottom lip in future and keep your daft opinion to your self. Kids always wear a helmet when cycling, dont listen to this numpty.
Think you might have 'quoted' the wrong post.
[quote][p][bold]StEmmosfire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: I didnt cycle today.. . I was buying a load of the cheap cycle gear from Lidl instead! LOL! . Yeah I reckon I save about £300 on bus fares a year through cycling. Still take the bus now and again. . Add to that I eat like a horse and I'm 15 stone right now. If I didnt ride I'd be an unfit mess. During the summer I'll ride between 10-20 miles in the morning, then 6 the short way home when my shift ends.[/p][/quote]are you a moron? any other health and safety features you want to discount, smoking doesnt cause cancer I suppose, drinking alchohol doesnt damage your liver. I suppose you would go driving around without a seatbelt if it wasnt illegal. I suggest when it comes to promoting safe cycling you bite your bottom lip in future and keep your daft opinion to your self. Kids always wear a helmet when cycling, dont listen to this numpty.[/p][/quote]Think you might have 'quoted' the wrong post. Young Greybeard

8:19pm Mon 14 Mar 11

downfader says...

StEmmosfire wrote:
downfader wrote: I didnt cycle today.. . I was buying a load of the cheap cycle gear from Lidl instead! LOL! . Yeah I reckon I save about £300 on bus fares a year through cycling. Still take the bus now and again. . Add to that I eat like a horse and I'm 15 stone right now. If I didnt ride I'd be an unfit mess. During the summer I'll ride between 10-20 miles in the morning, then 6 the short way home when my shift ends.
are you a moron? any other health and safety features you want to discount, smoking doesnt cause cancer I suppose, drinking alchohol doesnt damage your liver. I suppose you would go driving around without a seatbelt if it wasnt illegal. I suggest when it comes to promoting safe cycling you bite your bottom lip in future and keep your daft opinion to your self. Kids always wear a helmet when cycling, dont listen to this numpty.
I have spent years reading the info on the studies and research. I'm not as qualified as many I know (some are medical people) who are also sceptical of helmets.
.
I strongly suggest you read the following rather than resorting to insults:
http://wrongheaded.o
rg.uk/
http://www.cyclegram
pian.co.uk/safety/cy
clehelmets.html
http://www.cyclehelm
ets.org/
.
Then ask yourself what you're protecting against. Your's and other's behaviour, or the result? Surely its better to deal with the contributary factors rather than the result, and a **** sight easier.
.
And actually there is statistical evidence that seatbelts do cause injuries (broken ribs, laceration to skin and internal organs), the standard seatbelt isnt always effective and occupants of cars have come free of them in side impacts. A 4-point harness is much safer... you also have to remember there is a correlation of drop in car injuries from seatbelts, and an increase to pedestrian and cyclist KSIs.
.
I have no problem with choice, or with parents making their kids wear a helmet, but they MUST be realistic as to the true benefits and risks.
[quote][p][bold]StEmmosfire[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: I didnt cycle today.. . I was buying a load of the cheap cycle gear from Lidl instead! LOL! . Yeah I reckon I save about £300 on bus fares a year through cycling. Still take the bus now and again. . Add to that I eat like a horse and I'm 15 stone right now. If I didnt ride I'd be an unfit mess. During the summer I'll ride between 10-20 miles in the morning, then 6 the short way home when my shift ends.[/p][/quote]are you a moron? any other health and safety features you want to discount, smoking doesnt cause cancer I suppose, drinking alchohol doesnt damage your liver. I suppose you would go driving around without a seatbelt if it wasnt illegal. I suggest when it comes to promoting safe cycling you bite your bottom lip in future and keep your daft opinion to your self. Kids always wear a helmet when cycling, dont listen to this numpty.[/p][/quote]I have spent years reading the info on the studies and research. I'm not as qualified as many I know (some are medical people) who are also sceptical of helmets. . I strongly suggest you read the following rather than resorting to insults: http://wrongheaded.o rg.uk/ http://www.cyclegram pian.co.uk/safety/cy clehelmets.html http://www.cyclehelm ets.org/ . Then ask yourself what you're protecting against. Your's and other's behaviour, or the result? Surely its better to deal with the contributary factors rather than the result, and a **** sight easier. . And actually there is statistical evidence that seatbelts do cause injuries (broken ribs, laceration to skin and internal organs), the standard seatbelt isnt always effective and occupants of cars have come free of them in side impacts. A 4-point harness is much safer... you also have to remember there is a correlation of drop in car injuries from seatbelts, and an increase to pedestrian and cyclist KSIs. . I have no problem with choice, or with parents making their kids wear a helmet, but they MUST be realistic as to the true benefits and risks. downfader

8:47pm Mon 14 Mar 11

Brite Spark says...

I'd save a fortune if I cycled to work (30 miles each way). Not something that I would consider during the winter months but is it doable in the Spring and Summer? What's a reasonable distance one could cycle without being too exhausted, I reckon I could do it in under 2 hours.
I'd save a fortune if I cycled to work (30 miles each way). Not something that I would consider during the winter months but is it doable in the Spring and Summer? What's a reasonable distance one could cycle without being too exhausted, I reckon I could do it in under 2 hours. Brite Spark

8:59pm Mon 14 Mar 11

downfader says...

Brite Spark wrote:
I'd save a fortune if I cycled to work (30 miles each way). Not something that I would consider during the winter months but is it doable in the Spring and Summer? What's a reasonable distance one could cycle without being too exhausted, I reckon I could do it in under 2 hours.
I know of a couple of guys on the forums that live 30 miles+ from work. They use the train and cycling together. One guy does a 30mile commute in about 2 days a week.
.
It would involve preparation if you did. You'd need to have atleast 2 water bottles on the bike to hydrate properly, plan the route thoroughly (its not always practical to cycle where you'd normally drive and there can sometimes be benefits from chosing B roads or major roads with cycle paths)
.
Having said that, two of the local clubs (Sotonia and DHB iirc) regularly do 60 mile rides on a sunday morning. They're more racing orientated though
.
Have you cycled before (you prolly told me before so apologies in advance)?
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: I'd save a fortune if I cycled to work (30 miles each way). Not something that I would consider during the winter months but is it doable in the Spring and Summer? What's a reasonable distance one could cycle without being too exhausted, I reckon I could do it in under 2 hours.[/p][/quote]I know of a couple of guys on the forums that live 30 miles+ from work. They use the train and cycling together. One guy does a 30mile commute in about 2 days a week. . It would involve preparation if you did. You'd need to have atleast 2 water bottles on the bike to hydrate properly, plan the route thoroughly (its not always practical to cycle where you'd normally drive and there can sometimes be benefits from chosing B roads or major roads with cycle paths) . Having said that, two of the local clubs (Sotonia and DHB iirc) regularly do 60 mile rides on a sunday morning. They're more racing orientated though . Have you cycled before (you prolly told me before so apologies in advance)? downfader

9:19pm Mon 14 Mar 11

Poppy22 says...

Can't the companies on the business parks (eg Whiteley) offer more bus/minibus services from outlying towns/villages, rather than expect employees to car share, especially as parking is really difficult there? I know of the Gosport to Whiteley bus and Swanwick Station to Whiteley minibus that used to operate but more initiatives like this are needed as public transport to and from business parks like Whiteley is rubbish and a huge proportion of workers live outside Whiteley (and even if you live there it can be a mile or more's walk each way to work, and not feasible in bad weather, so the majority of workers drive in). And if the 3 roads that should have been opened in Whiteley about 10 years ago had been opened up, imagine the massive petrol saving over that period (and reduced travel time, traffic jams, pollution, accidents, etc!).
I've quoted Whiteley as an example but it probably also applies to places like Eastleigh, Chandlers Ford etc.
Can't the companies on the business parks (eg Whiteley) offer more bus/minibus services from outlying towns/villages, rather than expect employees to car share, especially as parking is really difficult there? I know of the Gosport to Whiteley bus and Swanwick Station to Whiteley minibus that used to operate but more initiatives like this are needed as public transport to and from business parks like Whiteley is rubbish and a huge proportion of workers live outside Whiteley (and even if you live there it can be a mile or more's walk each way to work, and not feasible in bad weather, so the majority of workers drive in). And if the 3 roads that should have been opened in Whiteley about 10 years ago had been opened up, imagine the massive petrol saving over that period (and reduced travel time, traffic jams, pollution, accidents, etc!). I've quoted Whiteley as an example but it probably also applies to places like Eastleigh, Chandlers Ford etc. Poppy22

9:27pm Mon 14 Mar 11

downfader says...

LOL! Poppy, did you just say walking 1 mile in wet weather is unfeasable? LMAO! How are you doing it, naked or something? Try a raincoat ;-)
LOL! Poppy, did you just say walking 1 mile in wet weather is unfeasable? LMAO! How are you doing it, naked or something? Try a raincoat ;-) downfader

10:07pm Mon 14 Mar 11

Brite Spark says...

downfader wrote:
Brite Spark wrote:
I'd save a fortune if I cycled to work (30 miles each way). Not something that I would consider during the winter months but is it doable in the Spring and Summer? What's a reasonable distance one could cycle without being too exhausted, I reckon I could do it in under 2 hours.
I know of a couple of guys on the forums that live 30 miles+ from work. They use the train and cycling together. One guy does a 30mile commute in about 2 days a week.
.
It would involve preparation if you did. You'd need to have atleast 2 water bottles on the bike to hydrate properly, plan the route thoroughly (its not always practical to cycle where you'd normally drive and there can sometimes be benefits from chosing B roads or major roads with cycle paths)
.
Having said that, two of the local clubs (Sotonia and DHB iirc) regularly do 60 mile rides on a sunday morning. They're more racing orientated though
.
Have you cycled before (you prolly told me before so apologies in advance)?
I have but purely for recreational and leisure purposes. Thanks for the feedback df - I suppose if I found somewhere decent to park I could drive half way and cycle the rest, that actually sounds doable and I would save hundreds or maybe over a thousand pound a year. Would help if my employers installed some wash room and hot water facitlities as well!
[quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: I'd save a fortune if I cycled to work (30 miles each way). Not something that I would consider during the winter months but is it doable in the Spring and Summer? What's a reasonable distance one could cycle without being too exhausted, I reckon I could do it in under 2 hours.[/p][/quote]I know of a couple of guys on the forums that live 30 miles+ from work. They use the train and cycling together. One guy does a 30mile commute in about 2 days a week. . It would involve preparation if you did. You'd need to have atleast 2 water bottles on the bike to hydrate properly, plan the route thoroughly (its not always practical to cycle where you'd normally drive and there can sometimes be benefits from chosing B roads or major roads with cycle paths) . Having said that, two of the local clubs (Sotonia and DHB iirc) regularly do 60 mile rides on a sunday morning. They're more racing orientated though . Have you cycled before (you prolly told me before so apologies in advance)?[/p][/quote]I have but purely for recreational and leisure purposes. Thanks for the feedback df - I suppose if I found somewhere decent to park I could drive half way and cycle the rest, that actually sounds doable and I would save hundreds or maybe over a thousand pound a year. Would help if my employers installed some wash room and hot water facitlities as well! Brite Spark

6:10am Tue 15 Mar 11

downfader says...

Brite Spark wrote:
downfader wrote:
Brite Spark wrote: I'd save a fortune if I cycled to work (30 miles each way). Not something that I would consider during the winter months but is it doable in the Spring and Summer? What's a reasonable distance one could cycle without being too exhausted, I reckon I could do it in under 2 hours.
I know of a couple of guys on the forums that live 30 miles+ from work. They use the train and cycling together. One guy does a 30mile commute in about 2 days a week. . It would involve preparation if you did. You'd need to have atleast 2 water bottles on the bike to hydrate properly, plan the route thoroughly (its not always practical to cycle where you'd normally drive and there can sometimes be benefits from chosing B roads or major roads with cycle paths) . Having said that, two of the local clubs (Sotonia and DHB iirc) regularly do 60 mile rides on a sunday morning. They're more racing orientated though . Have you cycled before (you prolly told me before so apologies in advance)?
I have but purely for recreational and leisure purposes. Thanks for the feedback df - I suppose if I found somewhere decent to park I could drive half way and cycle the rest, that actually sounds doable and I would save hundreds or maybe over a thousand pound a year. Would help if my employers installed some wash room and hot water facitlities as well!
Yeah I was gonna say you could always park up. Theres a guy I see in Woolston who does that.
.
With my place we had showers but they never work. I just "army wash" in the sink. :-D
[quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]downfader[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Brite Spark[/bold] wrote: I'd save a fortune if I cycled to work (30 miles each way). Not something that I would consider during the winter months but is it doable in the Spring and Summer? What's a reasonable distance one could cycle without being too exhausted, I reckon I could do it in under 2 hours.[/p][/quote]I know of a couple of guys on the forums that live 30 miles+ from work. They use the train and cycling together. One guy does a 30mile commute in about 2 days a week. . It would involve preparation if you did. You'd need to have atleast 2 water bottles on the bike to hydrate properly, plan the route thoroughly (its not always practical to cycle where you'd normally drive and there can sometimes be benefits from chosing B roads or major roads with cycle paths) . Having said that, two of the local clubs (Sotonia and DHB iirc) regularly do 60 mile rides on a sunday morning. They're more racing orientated though . Have you cycled before (you prolly told me before so apologies in advance)?[/p][/quote]I have but purely for recreational and leisure purposes. Thanks for the feedback df - I suppose if I found somewhere decent to park I could drive half way and cycle the rest, that actually sounds doable and I would save hundreds or maybe over a thousand pound a year. Would help if my employers installed some wash room and hot water facitlities as well![/p][/quote]Yeah I was gonna say you could always park up. Theres a guy I see in Woolston who does that. . With my place we had showers but they never work. I just "army wash" in the sink. :-D downfader

9:25am Tue 15 Mar 11

ColWh says...

You'll always get negative comments and smoke screens from the non believers, helmets, traffic danger, etc etc...the truth is i wouldnt commute any other way, ever. Helmets are a smokescreen, wear one if you choose, dont if you dont, its that simple. Traffic danger ?, i've been commuting for more years than i can remember, ive never been hit by a vehicle. Occasional close passes are part of the game but you get acclimatised to them. The benefits far far outweigh the negatives. Sit in a hot tin box, in traffic, engine drinking your pound notes and have a scowl on your face....or ride in the sun, with a big cheesy grin.
For me the choice is easy.
You'll always get negative comments and smoke screens from the non believers, helmets, traffic danger, etc etc...the truth is i wouldnt commute any other way, ever. Helmets are a smokescreen, wear one if you choose, dont if you dont, its that simple. Traffic danger ?, i've been commuting for more years than i can remember, ive never been hit by a vehicle. Occasional close passes are part of the game but you get acclimatised to them. The benefits far far outweigh the negatives. Sit in a hot tin box, in traffic, engine drinking your pound notes and have a scowl on your face....or ride in the sun, with a big cheesy grin. For me the choice is easy. ColWh

9:45am Tue 15 Mar 11

DJ Teh says...

Downfader, a friend of a friend almost lost his life due to a cycling accident. If it hadn't have been for the fact he had a helmet on he wouldn't have survived the impact. And that was a doctors response. Now take your anti-helmet cr*p and shove it up your ar*e.
Downfader, a friend of a friend almost lost his life due to a cycling accident. If it hadn't have been for the fact he had a helmet on he wouldn't have survived the impact. And that was a doctors response. Now take your anti-helmet cr*p and shove it up your ar*e. DJ Teh

4:50pm Tue 15 Mar 11

downfader says...

DJ Teh wrote:
Downfader, a friend of a friend almost lost his life due to a cycling accident. If it hadn't have been for the fact he had a helmet on he wouldn't have survived the impact. And that was a doctors response. Now take your anti-helmet cr*p and shove it up your ar*e.
Now ask yourself this (bearing in mind some of us actually know some doctors and nurses and how they communicate with patients).. do you think the doctor was qualified in collision forensics? Or that they were trying to make their patient feel better after having an almighty shock, something which the cyclist may not have had any control over?
.
So what do we do after said event, we try to find reasons and actions that we feel have contributed to our welfare. This is classic psychology, we try to convince ourselves that we or something played a part.
.
And I'll point out, for all your bluster and rudeness on here that I'm pro-choice, not anti-helmet. There is a massive difference. Read the links above and listen to the evidence from all parties before you jump to conclusions.
.
Do you really feel that cycling is THAT dangerous? Or that you or others are that out of control that you need to rely on unproven body armour? If that be the case then give up cycling
[quote][p][bold]DJ Teh[/bold] wrote: Downfader, a friend of a friend almost lost his life due to a cycling accident. If it hadn't have been for the fact he had a helmet on he wouldn't have survived the impact. And that was a doctors response. Now take your anti-helmet cr*p and shove it up your ar*e.[/p][/quote]Now ask yourself this (bearing in mind some of us actually know some doctors and nurses and how they communicate with patients).. do you think the doctor was qualified in collision forensics? Or that they were trying to make their patient feel better after having an almighty shock, something which the cyclist may not have had any control over? . So what do we do after said event, we try to find reasons and actions that we feel have contributed to our welfare. This is classic psychology, we try to convince ourselves that we or something played a part. . And I'll point out, for all your bluster and rudeness on here that I'm pro-choice, not anti-helmet. There is a massive difference. Read the links above and listen to the evidence from all parties before you jump to conclusions. . Do you really feel that cycling is THAT dangerous? Or that you or others are that out of control that you need to rely on unproven body armour? If that be the case then give up cycling downfader

9:29pm Tue 15 Mar 11

ColWh says...

DJ Teh wrote:
Downfader, a friend of a friend almost lost his life due to a cycling accident. If it hadn't have been for the fact he had a helmet on he wouldn't have survived the impact. And that was a doctors response. Now take your anti-helmet cr*p and shove it up your ar*e.
DJ, lifes a lottery. I nearly killed myself (seriously) climbing over a fence, do i need to wear crotch armour, of course not.
While i genuinely believe a helmet may have saved your friends life, the actual probability of being in a serious accident is very low.
Ive cycled all my life, much of it commuting and rarely had problems. Ive banged my head more at work !!!
Its really simple, if you (not you personally) think you'll benefit from wearing a helmet, then wear one. I do in the winter. But i also reserve the right to conduct my life the way i want to, to assess risk and act accordingly.
If cycling were so so dangerous that we all HAD to wear helmets, the roads would be littered with dead and dying cyclists. But its not, simply because with care, cycling IS as safe as many other pursuits.
One day, i may even regret not wearing a helmet, but in the meantime, i'll assess the risk, i'll decide whether or not to wear.
Health and Safety is creeping into our lives. Live life and stop worrying about every risk you'll ever take. Cycling is just a minor one.
[quote][p][bold]DJ Teh[/bold] wrote: Downfader, a friend of a friend almost lost his life due to a cycling accident. If it hadn't have been for the fact he had a helmet on he wouldn't have survived the impact. And that was a doctors response. Now take your anti-helmet cr*p and shove it up your ar*e.[/p][/quote]DJ, lifes a lottery. I nearly killed myself (seriously) climbing over a fence, do i need to wear crotch armour, of course not. While i genuinely believe a helmet may have saved your friends life, the actual probability of being in a serious accident is very low. Ive cycled all my life, much of it commuting and rarely had problems. Ive banged my head more at work !!! Its really simple, if you (not you personally) think you'll benefit from wearing a helmet, then wear one. I do in the winter. But i also reserve the right to conduct my life the way i want to, to assess risk and act accordingly. If cycling were so so dangerous that we all HAD to wear helmets, the roads would be littered with dead and dying cyclists. But its not, simply because with care, cycling IS as safe as many other pursuits. One day, i may even regret not wearing a helmet, but in the meantime, i'll assess the risk, i'll decide whether or not to wear. Health and Safety is creeping into our lives. Live life and stop worrying about every risk you'll ever take. Cycling is just a minor one. ColWh

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree